Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

merc leveling 101...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by s2mega, Apr 5, 2004.

1. s2mega

s2mega IncGamers Member

merc leveling 101...

my level 84 windy druid has just traded in his lvl84 norm act 3 ice druid, cos i was finding that i am increasingly finding it hard to simply survive. i like to play players 4 hell at least... and is really struggling to level past 84.

anyways, i got a norm act 2 def merc lvl 12... he's essentially naked, what's the best way to level him?

2. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

first of all, let him kill everything

second of all, keep an eye on his stat screen - when he is in the 20's he should be getting ~2000 exp per kill - otherwise, adjust the player setting acordingly. I recommend running through tal rashas tombs, then thru the kurrast area a bunch, then the bloody foothills. repeat again in NM. It is a pain in the rear, but it has to be done. Also, I recommend giving him a sweet weapon (the weapon level should be within 5-10 of his all the time). Give him a 4 socket armor with p-rubys in it.

thats all. :buddies:

3. WalkingAThinLine

WalkingAThinLine IncGamers Member

I found leveling my merc to be easier in the crystalline river and glacial trail rather than the bloody foothills, but thats just me.

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

go to hell and buy the exact same merc, but starting at like level 60 something.

just checked, 79 is hire level.

5. unseenSNIPER

unseenSNIPER IncGamers Member

I suggest YOU killing EVERYTHING for him. It's a lot quicker than letting him kill stuff? Don't believe me? Well, take this advice from a person who let his HF herc die around lvl 45, and while I went out to lvl 85. I resurrected him, and before long, he and I were level 90. I killed most everything. Since the thread starter has an ActIII merc, I can't give advice on the weapon selection, but i would give him vamp gaze and shaft for defensive purposes. That's what I did with my merc.

6. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Sniper is right... go to the Arreat Summit and find out which monsters are around the same lvl as your merc. Then just run through the lvl and kill everything, rinse, and repeat. As your merc lvls go through the different areas. The merc takes too long to kill things at lvl 11. There's also lvl difference penalties as well so have a lower lvl char spot games for you and keep an eye on his health.

The only other way to make it marginally faster is make friends with an enchantress and have her run around with you and enchant the merc and static the baddies.

You may want to experiment with your lower powered skills and try and wound the monsters to a lvl that the merc can kill them. Generally, if it takes more than 2 shots to bring the monster's health down to where the merc can kill them then just go ahead and overkill them with your main skill and get on with your life.

gl

7. banditto1969

banditto1969 IncGamers Member

Get demon limb and enchant his weapon rather than hunting around for an enchantress.

8. less_than_adam

less_than_adam IncGamers Member

Just make a cow game and kill every cow (except cow king of course). Rinse and repeat. I never realized just how easy it is to level a merc until I did it my self. They still gain a pretty good chunk of experience when you get the kill. It's actually quite easy, it just takes an hour or two.

9. Superhal

nm?

i need to do this soon, i'm sick of my HF merc. the only thing he does well is die. i'm lucky if he tanks for 3 seconds.

probably my fault as i didn't put a good armor on him, but as far as i can tell, HF only makes monsters turn blue, they seem the same speed in hell.

might try a defiance merc next.

10. royalesse

Enchant with no synergies stinks... demon limb won't even be worth repairing or using an ort rune. The enchantress is worth it if you have 2 comps or a loader.

Superhal... have you tried Reaper's Toll on your HF merc? Mine does just fine with it. His other equip is Guillame's Face and Rattlecage though. Prayer mercs are fun too with a bunch of Sols in the helm and armor (can't kill squat though).

11. s2mega

s2mega IncGamers Member

I found a nice little chart with the optimum exp percentage/char lvl matchups... i don't actually have an address for it since i had it from yonks ago, but it's making my leveling much much faster~~

just put on my hurricane and walk through players 8 normal monsters... yes i kill them, my merc just barely keeping up on-screen.

my def merc's now lvl 36 already with a tanner gorerod, crown of thieves (for life steal), and tancred's spine (best i can do for under lvl36 given my less-than-extensive inventory).

12. Superhal

nope, no reaper's, i have lots of weps though, from 500-700 damage (gogo cube!) the problem is the armor, i'm using my two shaftstops already. my best two merc helms are also being used (vamp gaze, stealskull) so he's using a 11% crown of thieves. his armor is currently my sorc's extra armor, a que hagan's.

all i need him to do is survive for around 3 seconds and tank the countess's minions.

13. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

My advice would be to just play through the game. Go through each act and clear all the areas that contain monsters that are aroudn your merc's current level. Your mercenary will gain plenty of exp, and catch up to your character's level.

http://darkness.diabloii.net/beastiary/
    This site has a list of monsters and their level in each area. I'm not sure how up-to-date the listin gis, but I know a few of the listed areas are correct.

14. fallen angel of satan

fallen angel of satan IncGamers Member

mercs gain three times the xp if they kill, but if you kill more than 3 monsters in the same time they kill one, then you might as well kill then. As for where to lvl, lvl him in exactly the same places you would lvl your main char. a1 till about lvl 12 sewers to about 15 anyon to 20, norm cows to 25 (I might actually go abit further) then 8 ppl baal runs, but make sure you clear out the worldstone keep each time, they get more xp there than from baals minions, ime not sure on the reason why though, ime sure someone can clear that up. If you want ancients way in 8 ppl games is gd xp, then when he is about lvl 45, 50 take him into nm, then either nm cows ancients way or baal, at about lvl 70 just do whatever you normally do with your char, just try not to let him die too much. Yes it is annoying, but you have to look at it as if you are lvling an entire new char, except with the advantage of having a high lvl char in the game(your guy)

As for equip this is what I use, but I am nl so things like reapers toll could be better

shaft(um)
    perf gaze(um)
    bonehew(amn, amn)

he never dies

you said that you didnt have any spare shafts or gazes though, so try this

crown of thieves (yes you already use it, the ll saves the merc every time, ll makes my merc able to solo hell baal 8 ppl games, even when the other ppl in the game are noobs)
    the armor is quite hard to decide, you can either have armor with life (4 p ruby armor) (38x4 = 152 life) or you can buy some armor with over 1k defense quite easily or just use something that you find that looks good.
    weapon, anything with high damage, life leach as well if you can find it.

remeber eth items are good for mercs because they dont break things

this merc will be more than hard enough to tank hell.

And as for lvling your merc, there is no fast way :(

15. royalesse

Blizzard put in experience penalties if the monster is more than 5 lvls higher or lower than you. This was done to discourage rushing and power lvling.

As for equipment... low lvl you want sigon's helm and armor. 2 peices of this set gives your mer 10% life leech as well as +8 AR per lvl. When I moved those pieces from my char to my merc he just started to rock!

Really your merc can use that until you find something high lvl for him to use (shaft & gaze, Stone, Delerium, etc). If you're poor don't be afraid to craft something.

16. wangvicous

wangvicous IncGamers Member

why do people buy mercs in normal instead of hell?
    A stone armor is pretty cheap to make and its awesome for a merc same with GA.

17. royalesse

If you take a merc and level him from scratch then they usually end up with better stats, more life, more skills, and more resistances.

Back in the day I'd have a lvl 1 char rushed to NM just to buy the merc at lvl 1.

You can still do it but it's kind a hard before lvl 21... and at lvl 21 you don't give up anything on the merc anyways.