Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc/hireling for Bowazon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Nubin, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

Merc/hireling for Bowazon

Im trying to decide which hireling to get for my multi/guided zon.
    Im tempted to get a act 2 might merc so i get the damage and he acts as a tanker.
    but i also want the act 3 holy freeze merc.
    Another question: all the mercs except for act 3 can only wear 3 pices of equipment correct? But act 3 can wear a sword and shield, whereas the other act mercs can where only armor, helm and 1 weapon.
    In this case, wouldnt the act 3 with 4 equipment be better than the rest?

2. BoneSaw

BoneSaw IncGamers Member

The auras of the act 2 mercs cant be beat. And the act 2 mercs, although they do not use a shield, tank just as well as any other merc(especially a defiance merc).

3. deathdefy

deathdefy Banned

they can definately get the best defense (except for a defiance merc) with the right equipment. But, a thing to consider is the fact that the Act 3 merc never actually uses his sword, just the elemental attack. So while the damage output of Act 3 merc is limited by his level and his +skills (which are hard to come by for a merc: shako, lidless, valor, hellplague if fire, etc) and I don't think their damage ever gets very good (basing that on experience, i could be very wrong). The Act 2 merc, as well as the others, can have fairly limitless damage as they can be setup with all the great weapons and actually utilize them to deal damage (think windforce, botd bows, gf, bonehew, etc). So the advantage of an Act 3 merc is the use of a shield at the cost of a lot of damge (however this can make a great tank if he has, say, stormshield).
    My opinion: go with an Act2 merc. Depending on your weapon. If you have a lot of cold damage-such as Buriza-tehn go for more damage with the might. If you aren't chilling the guys yourself, then grab a Holy Freeze Merc (Act 2 Nightmare) and you'll love the slow monsters.
    By the way: you said "Act 3 Holy Freeze Merc"-I'm confident that was a typo but if not-only act 2 mercs have auras. Act3's deal out elemental damage-while there is a cold one, its not holy freeze.
    Hope this helps,
    Deathdefy

4. FiNaLoRgYkKzOn

FiNaLoRgYkKzOn Banned

Personally, I get Valk to SLVL 26 or so and she can tank Hell Baal quite easily, only needing me to summon her once or twice in two player Hell Baal.

5. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

yup, that should of been act 2 holy freeze, my bad.
    thanx for all the useful insight.
    One more question though, i have another mf sorc. She uses F orb, and lightning Nova and she has a heck of a time doing pit runs with those dang cold immunes since the linghtning nova isnt very good even tho i maxed it and maxed light mastery. So would an Act 3 fire or light merc do enough damage to do pit runs? If not im stuck with only doing Meph and pindle runs.

6. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

Also, any recommendations on what weapon or other gear combos for this might merc?
    thats what i decided to use.

7. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

Also, to plus skills items work to increase the might aura?
    What about plus palidin skill items?

8. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

Man i have too many questions... but no one is answering anymore...
    I also want to know if those new rune words that add auras like thorns and holyfreeze, do they work with mercs equipped with them?

9. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

The auras on runewords do work on mercs. A strong case for act 3 mercs perhaps the only one is with more gear they can have more MF which helps if the merc makes the killing blow.

10. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I went with an act 1 rogue, which worked out quite well. She almost never dies as she keeps away from monsters. She can use bows as I outgrow them, saving equipment costs. Since I already have a valkyrie a second tank is not necessary, and anyway a melee merc wouldn't hit a lot because the monsters are being knocked back by me. Her cold arrow is helpful for physical immunes and generally slowing monsters down.

She uses a nef'd Eaglehorn, ethereal Duriel's Shell and BlackHorn's Face. Damage is a respectable 300-1.1k

11. Nubin

Nubin IncGamers Member

Thanx for all the help.
    Im still leveling my Act 2 merc. He's level 65 now. Hopefully i can score a Doom rune word poleaxe for him soon. Then he'll have holy freeze and might aura.
    Im also wondering if their skill level for their aura goes up when they level up? It seems it does, but not by whole number increments? maybe its like a fraction of a skill level?