Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ddkknoll, Mar 19, 2015.

1. coju

coju Diabloii.Net Member

For the merc, from my experience, the lower level you hire them (level 18 for an act 2 merc) the better stats they will gain over all. From what I remember, I've hired mercs at 19 only to find they couldn't equip X weapon, but hired at merc level 15, then leveled to 19, they were able to equip X weapon.
    I would only imagine the same would take place with their resistances. I've yet to try it out with my defensive merc I hired in normal. I suppose I could rehire one and see if the stats were equal.

2. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Treachery is available without RWM.

Also why run Meph if you have full Tal's? What is your short term goal?

3. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin Diabloii.Net Member

I though the thing about better stats when leveling your merc was true before they implemented the hiring -5-1 level from your char? Or is it still the case?

4. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

Mercs definitely do not have different stats based on what level they were hired in 1.11+, their stats only differ between being hired in Normal, Nightmare or Hell. After some quick searching I find nothing concrete as to whether mercenaries used to have better stats when leveled up compared to being hired later (ie, no statement of which patches this affected or even examples of differences, just a nearly even amount of people saying it used to matter or it never mattered) and I have no experience with versions before 1.11 so I can't say for sure about when that may have been true. But, to reiterate, it makes absolutely zero difference in 1.11+ (I say 1.11 because there's a non-zero chance that if it made a difference up to 1.10 it might make a difference in one of the 1.10 beta patches, but again I don't know.)

5. ddkknoll

ddkknoll Diabloii.Net Member

@maxicek I am just trying to build some wealth up.. Thinking of getting an insight and running hell countess.

Are mid level runes used as currency or have any value? I see the price guide only begins with Um.

6. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Pretty much only mid or low level runes that have value are crafting runes, and from those Rals are on ISO lists of most players, while Sol is on ISO of mine. Can't really tell does anyone seek any other low-mid level rune at all, they are very easy to get with farming and hardy have any value. For example I'm seeking Ral runes at a price of 0.5 pgems per Ral (some would go up to 2 pgems per Ral price I believe), and before traded Lem runes at a similar price (1 pgem per Lem I think it was). Price guide is outdated on some things, especially runes. They were more valuable before than they are today. Um rune valued as 25 pgems is not that off (I'm selling one for 20), but other higher runes are off. Well... depends. Even today people tend to come out with some quite high price for runes, you just have to be lucky to get into one of them.

As for your sorc, I would definitely make Inisight, and then head straight to AT with full Tal's set. You will farm fast enough there + will have chance to get something rare and valuable, unlike on Meph who drops only mediocre stuff and is good only for starting players to farm stuff faster. Other possiblity is to use 3 part Tal set (armor, belt and amulet) and use Shako as helm and something else as weapon. Whatever you find better overall. You can even farm Pindle, he should be really easy target, and can drop pretty much everything except few items of that only Arachnid Mesh is useful (unless you are into Tyrael's)

7. ddkknoll

Assuming AT = ancient tunnels why there over pits?

I actually got an Arach from Meph a few days ago so I am on my way, not too close, to a heavenly H'din. Something of a dream I have had since playing SP.

I have been running countess, I rolled a great map and seem to be getting an Um or Mal frequently enough. Too bad about mid level runes, I have hundreds. Currently have a lot of Sol and Rals. Are pgems still used as currency? or only for regular items. Meaning no one would sell a Jah or Ber for 1k pgems or something.

Insight requires two things for me, a base and installing FAM. Should do that though, seems like it won't diminish value of my items too much. Looking around indicates hc/sc and patches affect value greater than FAM.

8. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Because AT (aka ancient tunnels) is known area for blizzard sorc to run and she is quite strong there. No monster is immune to cold there with exception of some bosses who you will kill with merc anyway (take might merc, give him some elite insight stick and voila). Pits are different. There are always immune monsters to element of the sorc unless you carry Infinity, and that makes it trouble. Naturally you can make and try some dual tree sorc, but I just assume AT is easier and more straightforward to handle. With Infinity lightning sorc could handle Pit like a boss and match efficiency of AT sorc I believe.

Pgems are used as currency with players who need them. I'm usually using them as currency. And I already sold tons of high runes for pgems, crafting stuff, jewels and such. Prices we talk about are in neighborhood of 400 pgems for Ber, 400-450-500 Jah and such.

9. ddkknoll

My sorc is a fire sorc with Forb as a back up basically, sedu for questing and immunes.

If a Ber cost ~400 pgems, and you value Lem at 2 pgems, Pum at 10, and Um-Gul per the Price Guide's numbers I have 399"pgems" not including any items, crafting runes, or actual pgems. Do people have High Runed to trade or they rarely change possession? And shouldn't I just farm countess and trade 20 Um runes for a high rune? Or that is never done.

10. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Some people are willing to buy/sell HRs for pgems (myself included). However, not many people (any?) are likely to buy lem/pul or similar runes as griph mentioned earlier. Um runes are nice and somewhat uncommon (at least for me).

Best bet if you want to acquire HRs is probably LK. Then you can collect pgems + occasional HRs from superchests as well as nice charms, etc. which people are more likely to buy.

11. ddkknoll

I found LK to require mental strength I don't have! I commend anyone who can preform such a task.

12. ddkknoll

Slightly off topic, but is there a way to load a character in a set difficulty?

I have great maps and don't want to press nm or norm by accident.

Thanks.

13. pharphis

I use keyboard shortcuts once you hit enter on the char.

R = normal, N = NM, H = Hell

14. ddkknoll

Of course h and n need to be stacked. Thanks!

15. ddkknoll

Thinking of making obedience for my merc, what poleaxe will result in the most dmg and will I notice the -25 to FR?

Thanks.

16. pharphis

That would only apply to fire dmg your merc does... so if you're an enchantress, maybe? :p

17. ddkknoll

It doesn't apply to my fire skills? And do you know of the easiest/quickest way to get khalim's will? Thinking of making a sorc and just tele. Wasn't sure if there is maybe a write up. Thanks.

Edit: Ignore the char question, I decided to make a Barb. Been playing a Sorc for so long I thought it might be fun to hit something.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  18. ddkknoll

How can you tell what version you are playing? I see it says 1.13 but no letter.

Thanks.

19. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

Open the Patch.txt in your Diablo II folder and on top will be the info for the most recent patch you have installed.

20. ddkknoll

Much appreciated.