Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Help surviving Nith

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by stormdragon, Oct 25, 2006.

1. stormdragon

stormdragon IncGamers Member

Merc Help surviving Nith

I currently have Act2 Holy Freeze Merc with my Hammerdin. I use my Hammerdin mainly for rushes and key runs. The problem is the merc dies every other time when doing Nith/D key runs.

My lvl ** merc currently has:
    Weapon: Insight CV
    Helm: Andariel's Visage w/ Ral
    Armor: Fortitude Plate Mail

I believe I have close to or max res. Corpse Explosion is 50% fire and 50% physical damage, so I thinking of using a shaftstop and gaze, but I believe I tried that in the past and my merc would die in other parts of rushes or runs. I would like to have it survive most parts of a rush (cept IM, which can't be helped) and especially Nith. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

using natures peace would really help imo.

3. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

maybe andys helm w/ ral and shaftstop or vice versa, Vamp gaze and Fort? Resistances, skills damage reduction? It sounds like your merc might be needing more life leech. try to shoot for 10+%.
    Also natures peace and some cold damage on the merc helps with the bodies laying around for CE.

4. stormdragon

I actually am wearing Nature's Peace, but he still manages to blow up corpses.

5. GaArchAnGeL

GaArchAnGeL IncGamers Member

But since your merc is killing monsters too, he doesnt have the mod "slain monsters rest in peace" so nith could still explode those corpses. My merc wears a 12ll Crown of Thieves(extra fire resistance) and up'ed Shaftstop and he seems to do fine. Like you and the other guys said, you should consider having dr% somewhere on the merc.

6. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Also, be aware that there are some monster bodies already spawned in the area..this means he may get off 1 or 2 splosions without either the merc or you having killed a monster :(

The best way that i have seen to do it is to telesmite directly on him..another option is to draw them out of corpse range, then when they are killed, you can use redemption to rid yourself of the corpses...rinse and repeat till hes alone.

7. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

The answer depends on what exactly is killing him. Is it the corpse explosion or is it the poison vipers?

8. k/t

k/t Banned

Yeah, I was gonna say what PhatTrumpet did. My Hammerdin's merc uses Insight, Crown of Thieves and Gladiator's Bane. I changed to that from Duriel's Shell in order to help him survive Vipers. After I switched AND I became more experienced fighting Nihlathak, the merc died a lot less.

9. stormdragon

Hm... it could be the Poison Vipers as well. Whenever the Vipers are there its almsot guranteed he dies. Any suggestions on countering the Vipers? I usually do teleport right on Nith, but sometimes I'd get him down to half or 2/3, he teles away and my merc dies.

10. k/t

k/t Banned

Kill them first.

11. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

The key to surviving the vipers is packing on a ton of straight PDR. These can be had from things like Gladiator's Bane and Sol runes socketed in armor/helm.

I'd start by putting Glad's on your Merc. If you notice an improvement but still aren't satisfied, try socketing armor/helm with Sol runes.

12. k/t

k/t Banned

You have to learn to fight them. That's the most important thing. Tele away, and run to them. Hammer them. Let the merc fight something else in the back.

Tele away from their poison clouds. Start spamming hammers. They usually come close to you.

13. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

There are a couple of problems with running the Necro. Poison Viper clouds are bugged and do some significant damage per second. This can be remedied by having like 20 points of damage reduction or more. % damage reduction is less effective. The other problem with Necro runs is the Corpse explosion. Nature's peace only prevents CE when you the character kill things. If your summons / merc kills something then you're in trouble as the corpse can be used for CE.
    The AI on the Act 2 mercs isn't so good for preventing merc death. The AI on the Act 1 Mercs (Rogue) is a little better, but far from perfect. My Rogue seems to die half the darn time when I'm doing the Necro run when pit vipers are in the mix. The Rogue dies infrequently when facing the Necro himself so that's not so bad.
    For a hammerdin with Enigma, I'd spam a hammer cloud and lead the enemy back to you up one arm of the pathway to the Necro. Then after most of the minions have been killed, run down the other side and attack the Necro. That way the corpses are on the other side and not the side you're running down.

hope that helps some,
    Good luck and Good Hunting!
    Kirah

14. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

Use redemption agressively against nik. You can gobble up all of the corpses before going into CE range.