Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

merc gear

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by FreezerBurn, Mar 28, 2005.

1. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

merc gear

i just started a holy freeze merc for my hammerdin. was wondering which of my spare stuff would work best

armor
    shaftstop
    corpsemourn
    atmas wail
    gladiators bane

helm
    andariel's
    shako
    crown of thieves
    vampire gaze

have an eth reaper's for weapon

2. ScruffyhawkIII

ScruffyhawkIII IncGamers Member

shaftstop//vampire gaze combo will work great.

3. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

i have to agree unless you are doing mf then the shako is the obvious choice...you will still have some damage reduction on the shako, you loose the leech so amn the reapers....you can also up the shaftstop and gaze for a little more def if you think you need it.....damage reduction and life leech will really help the merc survive...the reapers will give respectable damage so you won't have to throw too many potions his way.

4. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

I don't think Up'ing the Vampire Gaze (more so if the Enhanced Defense is high) as you can end up with a helm which has lower Def.

Shaftstop and Vampire Gaze are an excellent choice.

I question your reason for the Holy Freeze mercenary. I find them quite soft compared to either the Defiance and Might mercs.

Using a Might merc:

- The damage of the mercenary is increased, allowing more leech

Using the defiance merc:

- You and the merc are harder to hit

5. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Using a Holy Freeze merc:

- Nearby monsters are slowed, including those which are cold immune

Each aura has situations where it is best, it really depends on the type of character you're playing. A might merc is best for killing stuff you can't kill (big damage), a defiance merc helps keep you from taking some kinds of damage (many kinds of attacks ignore defense), and a holy freeze merc is good for making monsters easier to hit (keeps them from running away as quickly from e.g. blessed hammer).

6. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

this will be my first holy freeze merc. i went with him to hopefully help with crowd control with large groups. makes it harder for monsters to run away and they hit slower when frozen. i'd be interested to hear other opinions.

7. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

I usually get the holy freeze merc, especially if I'm playing hardcore. But I agree with the others with the shaft/gaze combo. Oh and by the way Oscuro, great avatar. :)

8. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

IMO the best solution is Act 2 defense (defiance) merc bought in Normal.

-Vamp’s gaze for leech and damage reduction (eth is perfect)
    -Gladiators bane is my favorite because it has can not frozen. This modifier is a must. Many monsters in hell have additional cold damage attack so your merc will mostly chilled in hell and therefore slowed and not effective. What’s the use of IAS jewels or high speed weapon if he is always slowed? He won’t be fast enough to attack quickly and leech more often so he will die more. Eth Gladiators is perfect. Fast hit recovery is also great because merc have low FHR. 30% fhr will break several break points and he will be more stabile. Upd or Eth Duriels shell is the second best choice.
    -Eth upd Hone sundan is great or Obedience tresher and cryptic axe.

My lvl 91 merc has 14500 defense when his aura is active and he never dies.

9. ArchAngel Tiberrius

Do you find the Holy Freeze mercenaries somewhat brittle?

10. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

I have only played one character which uses a holy freeze merc, and I'm not disappointed. The character is a hammerdin, so his concentration aura makes the merc's damage very respectable. The merc uses upgraded Duriel's Shell (Ort), Andy's Visage (rare jewel with fire resist and enhanced damage), and "Insight" in an ethereal colossus voulge. No damage reduce, not much life leech (only source is Andy's), but good resists (lightning and cold are stacked a fair amount above 75% in case of lower resist or conviction). I can't remember the last time he's died (except from iron maiden).

11. ArchAngel Tiberrius

I'll have to give them a second try, thanks for the information.

12. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

here is my piece of advice:

if you pick a merc from act2, get one as high as you can get. lvl 47 is the highest i think. my armor perference for lvling up my mercs is griswolds armor hands down. save a bunch of jewels that most people would throw away as crap (its not a 40/15!! toss it!! *roll eyes*), and load them up into the armor. IMO, nothing beats it. these armors drop everywhere, and jewels are also obviously falling like mana from heaven. pick jewels that have a lvl requirement that are equal to or less than your merc.

an example of one i just finished using on my new MF sorc (the merc has since graduated to a skulders).

http://www.dfwlp.com/~jhorne/pics/diablo/screenshots/griswold-mercarmor.jpg

13. Khalim's_Nosehair

Khalim's_Nosehair IncGamers Member

If you are looking to slow down monsters, another good option is an upped Kelpie Snare. HF + 75% slow target really keeps the merc alive and everyone in one place to take your hammer attack.

Another good option for MF-ing is Duress + Obiedience and gaze. Your merc will have 55% CB, which makes short work of high hp bosses.

14. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze works great for a hammerdin, since there isn't really a whole lot the hammerdin cannot kill, so might isn't as much of a necessity. Plus the merc gets the concentration aura from the paladin so his damage is respectable. You may want to try Gladiator's Bane and Gaze. I would highly recommend an elite ethereal "Insight" as it's fantastic on my hammerdin, good damage and the paladin never runs out of mana.

15. Jemme

Jemme IncGamers Member

I like the Holy Freeze to, but only used it for my Poizon (Amazone) in the end. I also heard that one quarter of the monsters in Hell don't get effected by its Cold Aura. Is this true?

Also I read that people seem to go for a Holy freeze quite often if they build a Hammerdin. I allways thought a Defiance merc was the norm here.

16. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

i've been happy with him so far. i've been leveling him in river of flame and he never dies. he freezes everything there so i don't get hit, which is nice.

17. ladydraxis

ladydraxis IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze works on almost every regular Hell monster. It does NOT work on act Bosses (Andy, Dury, Meph, Diablo, Baal).