Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Gear for Summoner.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Jayman450, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Jayman450

Jayman450 IncGamers Member

Merc Gear for Summoner.

Ok. So I got Hone Sundan and Guillaume's Face for my nercos merc. From what i understand this will speed up boss kills. Question is what do i socket the Hone Sundan with (Amns, Eths, Combo??) and should i upgrade it. Just comments on this CB setup would be good. What armour to complent this. I normally use Leviathen or Shafts on mercs. Act 2 Might Merc BTW.

I have enough dex for a Phase Blade too. Should i get another Guillaume to wear for bosses and go the whack?

Thanks.

PS. If anyone has a eth Hone Sundan for trade plz let me know.

2. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Well for some Bosses leech does not work, unless you LT them.
    If you are not killing bosses then the lack of leech in the other items means an Amn will keep your mercs life orb happily full. Don't bother with Eth, your merc should have enough AR to hit anything regularly.

ED or IAS Jewels, Shael I would consider before Eth.
    So, Amn, Shael, ED or IAS Jewels.

3. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

I know this is a bit of a hijacking but I want to verify it now before I make a mistake.

The might merc. I've heard that it's the offensive merc from Lut Gohlein. I've also read that it's the offensive merc from the second act but from the nightmare difficulty setting.

Should I keep the one that I picked up in normal or get the new on in nightmare?

4. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Nightmare, normal will be blessed aim :drink:
    Good gear is basically hone sundan, guillamues, and durys shell. I suppose you could go with toothrow for the crushing (yes?).

5. Unlimited Skill

Unlimited Skill IncGamers Member

For a summoner you usually need your either golem or merc to do your first kill and then go on to summon an army. You might wanna go for more damage instead of Hone. I tried it and found that I needed it for hell. He does around 500-1000 dmg and he can usually survive. I need better armor, but i'm using Pierre Tombales on him.

6. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

I have a Bonehew in my mercenary (with an Amn in one socket, the other empty, waiting patiently for a good ED jewel), and Crown of Thieves. That's 19% LL with around 800-2600 damage, so he stays alive everywhere but in the heavily undead places like, ironically, the Act II from whence he came. I attribute this to the crap armor (random rare embossed plate) he is wearing until I can find something better (like the Duriel's Shell someone mentioned earlier). For some reason, B.net has recently felt the urge only to give me Sparkling Mail (unique chain mail), arguably the worst armor in this game. It doesn't even sell for much: ~4000 gold.

I think merc survivability is more important than the damage he deals, since his purpose isn't to kill things, although he does that well, but to provide his Might aura so that the whole army of skelli warriors can kill things. The killing power you want is one where he can defend himself, as well as contribute to preventing monster heal. I experimented with a Vile Lance that dropped, since it has two or three different ways to prevent monster heal (all based on poison) and extremely high damage, but the lack of %LL had my merc dead in nearly every place he went. It sucks spending 50k every five minutes, money that could be doing more important things like...well....

As for first kills, I used to go to Act I to get my first kill and form my army when my merc used The Meat Scraper (honestly, one of the ugliest names for an item..), which is the unique Lochaber Axe. It didn't do too much damage (400-1200 if I remember, but I'm not sure), but it managed to hurt some monsters and keep them from healing with the 50% open wounds. Plus, it has a little MF on it! I read on this forum several times that you don't need to worry about first kills once you get to Nihilthak (spelling!!!). Just keep that red portal open by not getting the Halls of Pain waypoint, and use the Prowling Dead corpses to make your army. Hey, while your down, there do a Pindle run? I did, and got this Isenhart's Case and rare kris to show for it! :drool:

7. Zazu

Zazu IncGamers Member

These are mercenaries from act 2 and their proper auras:

Combat/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
    Combat/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Thorns
    Combat/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Prayer

Defense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
    Defense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Holy Freeze
    Defense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Defiance

Offense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim
    Offense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Might
    Offense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim

(thx to R. Kleefstra)

On Hone Sundan use Amns, more than one, leech is essential for merc. Items with +life (no vitality, LIFE!!!). Give him sumthin with resists like Duriel's Shell.... Go with Crown of Thieves and you are ready.

As a weapon my merc uses ethereal scythe ?-600 dmg, 40 % IAS (doesnt matter for merc, as I heard). With my palladin, Holy Freeze merc was doing 4900 dmg with Concentration on, on Necro's might merc..dont remember :)

8. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

No. IIRC Thoothrow is OW not CB, OK. RSVP ASAP SVP

9. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Toothrow
    Sharktooth Armor
    Defense: 713-888 (varies)(Base Defense: 242-258)
    Required Level: 48
    Required Strength: 103
    Durability: 63
    +160-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +40-60 Defense(varies)
    40% Chance of Open Wounds
    Fire Resist +15%
    +10 Strength
    20,000% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Attacker Takes Damage of 20-40 (varies)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

ROFL ROFL OWNED!!!! o_OO!_!O!_O!

10. Mongoose

Mongoose IncGamers Member

try to get bramble if you can find the runes because the thorns/might will help your minions no end. ive finished hell diff with a prayer/thorns merc and that helped because as a summoner your skells just do not cut it in hell diff with out spamming mass amp/decrep and having thorns/prayer backing them up

11. memememe173

Bramble dosnt have might
    and...um...the curse tree is there to like cast and if you have any +skills they don't need spamming

and i went through the whole (hell) game with only might (act4 on) and no prayer

and Fenris my apologies

12. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

crescent moon runword - static's gallore
    toothrow armor - yep, crushing blow
    tal's helm, gaze - good leech helms

13. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I like to use Guardian Angel, Tal's helm, and usually go with BoneHew or a few of the other good pikes available.

HoS

14. FitchBoy40

FitchBoy40 IncGamers Member

Toothrow does NOT have Crushing Blow... fenris was just teasing. You are thinking of Rattlecage (25% chance of CB), the unique Gothic Plate... but it has an annoying Hit Causes Monster to Flee 40% mod which I hate as it drastically reduces killing speed.

@memememe173: The Bramble armor is meant to be placed on a might merc. The thorns aura comes from the Bramble while the Might aura comes from the merc... this is a VERY good armor to place on the merc, but its relatively expensive.

15. Jayman450

Jayman450 IncGamers Member

Well. I Upgraded the hone and socketed it with 2 x Amn and a Hel (High Dex Requirments). He really does mow down bosses now. It's great. He survives fine. Yet to have him die. He's wearing atm:

Guillaume's Face (Clean)
    Upgraded Shaft (UM)
    Upgraded Hone Sundan (Amn, Amn, Hel) ~ 180ED and does 70-477.
    At LvL 83 he does 617-2679 Damage, 62 Res all.

I tried putting on a Guillaume's Face on the necro + 4xEth 2xSheal Phase Blase and it doesn't speed up enough to justify the equip change IMO. Fast Enough as it is. Anyone who dislikes slow boss kills this is the way to go. I was impressed. I don't rely on on merc for first kill, though he has no probs. I use Mirrowwalks and have 20 SM, 20 RS, 20 BS, 20 Sprit 20 Spear. I just need some Summoning GC's now. He's comming along niceley.

16. Har-Megiddo

Har-Megiddo IncGamers Member

I know I'm supposed to be studying, but I am gonna point out that the Commando thread I made addresses the high-end (cost) way to outfit a merc for a summoner.

And a summoner does extremely well if you have the right gear. Imagine having 13 skeletons with might aura, fanatacism aura, HoW, thorns aura, and battle orders. And then add in revives and or skeleton mages, then put on enigma and teleport right on top of people to have one massive monster abusing the boss/packs.

17. memememe173

You mean there is NO armor with 20,000% crushing blow omg omg my build is ruined!:rolleyes: and Fenris how could you lead me on like that:scratch:

looking at Brabmle's stats it seems to me it's just an armor slot with thorns and poison resist so depending on your other gear it might not be very good

18. FitchBoy40

FitchBoy40 IncGamers Member

If you are fortunate enough to get lvl 21 Thorns aura on your Bramble, you get 1050% damage returned... basically a double strength Iron Maiden curse at all times on your minions (nice considering you have 40+minions). My friend who uses this armor kills enemies much faster than my summoner (even though the rest of our equipment is basically the same) because the thorns aura easily doubles your damage output. If a 1000hp skeleton dies in battle, at least you know he returned 10,500hp of damage from being hit alone... and it's easy enough to summon a new one. Other armors are options, but Bramble helps mow through enemies.

p.s., I wasn't directing the comment about Toothrow not having CB to you, but rather to the people who claimed it had CB. Just trying to help others who might've actually thought it did. And the Bramble comment was to clear up where the might aura came from. Your sarcasm appears to show you were offended by my post... I didn't mean it that way.

19. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

I'm not all that wealthy with my items, but my merc setup looks like this:
    Steelskull for mf runs, Guillaume's Face for questing/baal runs
    corpsemourn
    arioc's needle/honor thresher (like i said, not wealthy)
    at lvl 85
    he's doin 872-1649 before the might kicks in.
    resists are: 49 fire/lightning/poison-75 cold
    i have a hone sundan, but is it worth using if you can't upgrade it?

20. Zazu

Zazu IncGamers Member

YES, it has awesome mod 45 % Cruhing Blow - dmg doesnt matter, give him Guillaume Face (has CB also) and you will bring Baal down in seconds.