Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc for Untwinked Fanatic Zealot

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Llathias, May 21, 2005.

1. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Merc for Untwinked Fanatic Zealot

i don't like to create a crowd in this forum with new threads, but Cyrus hadn't discussed mercs in his guide and inserting my question in another thread didn't seem right.

so, the character is an untwinked SP Fanatic Zealot, at lvl 52 and in Act 2 NM, about to enter the palace. the current merc is an Act 3 Cold mage, which's been helpful in destroying corpses and giving me standing targets, but his damage is very low. as i'm in Act 2 NM, i'll switch to either Might or Holy Freeze.

i'm more inclined towards HF since slow proved very useful for my slow-killing pally and it gives me decent cold dmg against PI, as well as increasing the overall damage for non CI. i do carry a cold dmg charm, but i remember the slow effects add up. Might can have insane damage bonus which works for Vengeance as well, but since the bonuses are addittive and that i have too many (Fanat+Zeal+Sacrifice), i doubt if the net effect will be worth it.

what would the experienced suggest?

2. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

I'd go with a might merc, since I have bad experience with HF. The slow effect doesn't really seem to slow monsters in hell mode. And since the damage bonus from might is alot better, I'd go for that. You could also go the defensive route and bring a defiance merc. With holy shield etc you should get a nice defense bonus.

3. corax

corax IncGamers Member

go with might.

holy freeze = sux.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Go with Holy Freeze, Might sucks:)

Just kidding...If it was untwinked I'd go with Holy Freeze, since your resists and defence probably won't be stellar, and when you have crap equipment I'd rather be safe than sorry. Both are good.

5. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Neither will have a very big impact. The 200% ED doesn't mean that much on an untwinked 1h weapon and the slow effect doesn't do a whole lot either. Personally I think I'd go for holy freeze.

6. Llathias

Llathias Banned

I decided to go with the holy freeze merc and had a chance to play with him a bit this weekend. I'm a little surprised about how HF works, and cannot resist the need to ask this super-n00b question:

is HF not a party aura? my pally doesn't get it, while the merc gets my Fanaticism.

:bonk: *runs and hides for his n00bness*

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

How about blessed aim, since you'll probably be lacking in there untwinked.