Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc for cold sorc whit doom rune word weapon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by nonohe, Feb 29, 2004.

1. nonohe

nonohe Banned

Merc for cold sorc whit doom rune word weapon

My merc will use doom eth cryptic axe and stone eth sacret armor it has 3500 def.
    What aura do you all think is best defens or might, whith might he will kill faster and this is great becoz of that im a blizzard sorc only, the might aura will make him kill cold imuns much faster, it will also makes his life leach work better.
    But whit defens he will get TONS of def becoz of his armor and it also gives my sorc a littel defens bunos and thats alwise nice. Also doom rune word gives lvl 12 holy freaz thats why i dont use holy freaz merc.

lvl 12 holy freaz 50% slowing

lvl 20 holy freaz 54% slowing

I would like to hear from someone that have used both of them and can compare the two from experience

2. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

With a post from the other thread:

Me:
    Well, since you are a blizzard only sorc, I would definetly get a might merc. You will need something to kill cold immunes, as you said you played by yourself in hell. Defence is nice, but useless if thing's won't die. Cheers!

lone_wolf

in your case i would go with might as the defence you gain is not enough to help much. and when you meet a boss pack with conviction or blessed aim your def mercs aura will provide no help at all.

as you want the merc to handle CI the might merc would be a better choice

3. cloudstride

cloudstride Banned

I'd say go with might too. Defiance and holy freeze both on the merc is overkill on the tanking, and the armor has huge def already.

4. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

might merc!

5. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

I would go with a might mercenary. With a pure cold sorceress, you need some killing power of some kind to take out cold immunes. Also I believe that with your current powerful equipment, defiance will not be of much help. Defiance might make your mercenary harder to hit, but I doubt he will be able to accomplish his mission on taking out cold immunes.

Another reason you might not take defiance is that sorceress usually don't have enough defense to get full benefits from defiance. That is why I primarily use teleport when I play my brother's lightning sorceress or I rely on energy shield to save me if I get into a really bad situation.

I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

6. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Good advice.

nonohe I noticed you posted this exact question in three different forums. Cross-posting is against the forum rules. Maybe take a few minutes to read the forum rules, ok?

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

do you think he'll ever read the damn rules. anyway, not startign it up again, AE and others finsihed the other one off.
    doom is very difficult to aquire, so i doubt many tests have been done to see whcih combo of merc / armour is more effective, but i' say might will boost his chances. def may mean he survives longer, but doign less dmg he will spend mlonger fighting cold immunes, so in the end the 2 balance out in theory.

8. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Will the -coldresist on Doom runewords combined with full cold mastery break the coldimmune on monsters so I can go with one elemental tree. Not that I will ever get the runes for the runeword just curious.

DX

9. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

-resistance works at 1/5th of its effectiveness against immunes, so the Doom would give -13.33333% to -20%, thus only being able to break a CI that had 113.32%-119.99% cold res. The scary thing is that monsters can have up to 210% cold res.

Again, I vote with the otehr and pick might, for the same reasons stated above.

crg

10. nonohe

nonohe Banned

I dident understand that, dose it mean that if u have that the - cold resist from doom it will work for your sorc, and that it will lower cold resist so much that imun will be damage from cold, i tought lower imuns resist only works whit that pala aura and lower resist curse

11. TekkaZeroX

Are you sure about that Crazy Runner Guy? I am nearly positive that the only skills or attributes that can break immunes are the conviction aura and the lower resist curse. They both work at 1/5th of their own capacity. -Resist from items and other skills do not help against immunes. It only makes non-immunes hurt more. I believe that was indicated by Blizzard in the patch text. :scratch:

12. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Correct, Doom won't do anything in the way of breaking resist, same for Cold Mastery.

13. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

For the sake of argument, I'll present the case for a Defiant merc.

With the Stone Sacred Armour the merc's defence will be skyhigh, which will help keep him alive longer.

I'm also assuming that noohe is using one of the cold armours, and presumably has a lot of +cold skills gear. Multiply the cold armour enhanced defence with Defiance, and your sorcs defence will be pretty high.

If you're relying on your merc to deal with cold immunes, its going to be slow going no matter which merc you choose. Either you rely on other people in your group (if you're playing with one), or just grin and bear it.

Chris

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

amp dmg can break phys immunes, my fishy used it alot against ghosts and locasts etc in hell. dunno about what others can and cant.

15. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Anyway, that was my assumption. And I realized I put the values down as 1/3 instead of 1/5th. As for what skills break immunities, I thought every -res skilll could break immunities, but it worked at 1/5th effectiveness. I'll look into this later, but I have homework to do.

crg

16. TekkaZeroX

You are right. Both decrepify and amplify damage remove physical immunities, but I was meaning about the elemental immunities. I should have been more clear with plain old "immunity." :)

CrazyRunnerGuy: I doubt you are correct, since nonohe would then already be set with his cold mastery reducing the resistance of CIs and taking them down with little effort. I think you are really wrong.

17. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Ok...just to resolve this in a structured way:

Immunitues can be broken by the skills Conviction, Lower Resist, Amplify Damage and Decrepify (based on the type of immunity).
    When these skills lower an opponents resistance to a type of damage that the opponent is immune to, their effectiveness is only 1/5th. If the opponents resistance that grants it immunity is lowered below 100% (by the skill at 1/5th effectiveness), the immunity is removed.

Any equipment that gives -% to opponents resistance will only affect a target that is not immune to the type of (elemental) damage under consideration. The skill Cold Mastery does work according to this principle too.
    Note that once one of the skills mentioned in the first part removes/breaks the immunity, the effects mentioned in the first part will have full effect.

A good way to make the distinction is see the first group as 'global effects' that affect anything in their area of effect at all times and any attacker that strikes them will benefit from the reduced resistances, while the the second group affects only a target struck by the attacker using the mod.

18. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member