Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc dies often.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by SnickerSnack, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Merc dies often.

This has probably been asked/answered before...

I've been meaning to make a bowzon for some time, and after reading Chipmc's witchyzon guide, I decided to make one. She's level 70 in Act 1 of Hell. Normal was a breeze and Nightmare was a joke, but Hell is proving to be much more difficult since my merc dies a lot. I had him geared with

Honor in an eth ghost spear
    Crown of Thieves (P Emerald)
    eth Shaftstop

but traded out the shaft for a Treachery in an eth Boneweave (1023 def).

With gear (might, venom and fade off), his stats are:

Life:1292
    Str:170
    Dex:162
    Defense:2280
    FR:63
    CR:60
    LR:30
    PR:30
    Damage:326-1784

His damage is something like 1400-3000 with might and venom. He has 18% life leech, so I had hoped he would heal very quickly, but he still gets killed frequently. Is his defense too low, is he not landing blows frequently enough, or does he just need a few more levels?

Thanks.

2. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

Re: Merc dies often.

Well what level is he? Same as you?

Personally I would change the weapon first, since I dont really like spears(too slow). Reapers Toll and Tomb Reaver are both solid choices, or maybe make a better runeword, like Insight or Obedience. This would free you to put something better in the helms socket(Im quessing the emerald is there because of the spears high dex req).

Better helm options would be Tals Mask, Vampire Gaze or Andariels Visage. For armor, eth Duriels is also a nice option, or if you have the wealth, Fortitude.

3. SnickerSnack

Yes, he's level 70; I should have been explicit about that.

I think that Obedience would be ideal and I've looked into buying a premade one or an eth polearm. I've used [the very same] Honor in the past with great results; I'm confused as to why it isn't working now. It was originally made for a skellimancer's merc.

When I was deciding on his armor, after finding that Shaftstop wasn't working, I considered Duriels, though I don't have an eth one (I'm sure it's easy to get). I had hoped that Treachery would work since I've had it on my tricked-out fishymancer's merc for a while - he even survives mini-ubers fairly well. But, yes, the spear has limited my helm choices.

I had hoped to not have to spend any currency on this character, but it looks like I will. For a while she had enough for a fort (PnB skiller, um from forge), but I don't like to use good self found runes (I'm trying to build a decent collection). As it stands, both the toon and the merc need a fort. The good news is that I have a 4os ebugged armor (1000+ defense) and a few 4os sup elite armors sitting on mules. I guess I should plunk down the ~3 hr to make fort, efort, and eObedience.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Barabas

Barabas IncGamers Member

1. Stop draging your merc into Chaos runs. No merc has any chance in there.
    2. Shaft him and vampireze him.

Shaft > Forta > Stone > all.

5. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

yup.

if we're going for DR, i kinda like a wodge of iDR in a mercs kit.

<pokestick of choice> + a gaze + a gladiators bane makes for a pretty durable A2 merc. the cbf is handy too.

6. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

I Sol'd a Gaze and a Shaftstop with great results. He even lasts with the Vipers.

7. SnickerSnack

I've only taken him to CS twice, once in normal and once in nightmare. He's dying frequently in Act 1 of Hell. I actually have only done 3 baal runs (norm). The rest was legit leveling.

On reading this again, the speed of the weapon may be the problem. Honor or Obedience in a polearm would hit/leech faster and allow more freedom with the helm. A sol or ias jewel in the helm should help a lot. A big problem I was having was his resists because of all the lightning enchanted uniques in hell, but another 10 levels will alleviate that problem.

I guess I'll try Obedience in an elite polearm, duriel's (eth if I can get one), tal's/vamp (sol). Once he has leveled a bit, I'll switch to eth Shaft (sol) or Gladiator (sol).

8. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I will also say that the honor is the problem. The fact that it worked for a necro's merc (or a hammerdin's merc, for that matter) means nothing. I can equip him with a cracked voulge and still have him live.

9. SnickerSnack

So modest damage + slow attack = not enough leech? Obedience is also looking good because of the unbreakable physical immunes. He has otherwise performed well for the past hour. Only one death to a pack of plain demon archers with fade on, and then a few minutes later he tanked a pack of extra fast lancers with a light enchanted unique with fade off?