Merc Defense in Hell

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Merc Defense in Hell

Everywhere I look, all merc guides for sorcs seem to recommend high Defense.

Is Defiance worth over Holy Freeze? and is defense worth concentrating gear setup on, even on a HF merc?

What is the general sweetspot for mercs to actually not get hit by Hell monsters?

Esuna

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think there are any good spots for them to avoid attacks.

What kind of mercenary are you using?

BattleQueen

Diabloii.Net Member
Alot depends on what char u r playing & your preferred style. Generally speaking, range characters tend to benefit from monsters' slowing down from HF aura & able to cast a few more missiles b4 they get within attacking range. On the other hand, up-close toe-to-toe melee characters benefit more from higher defense from Defiance.

And the sweetspot for mercs to avoid getting hit?
In town, lolz. :grin:

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think there are any good spots for them to avoid attacks.

What kind of mercenary are you using?
I was talking about Defense rating, for mercs to be sort of "safe" in hell, if that's possible. I do not know what merc I will use, except that it will be a A2 Guard.

Battle Queen said:
Alot depends on what char u r playing & your preferred style. Generally speaking, range characters tend to benefit from monsters' slowing down from HF aura & able to cast a few more missiles b4 they get within attacking range. On the other hand, up-close toe-to-toe melee characters benefit more from higher defense from Defiance.

And the sweetspot for mercs to avoid getting hit?
In town, lolz.
Yes, that's what I have always thought and I've always used Holy Freeze mercs on my casters. But too many people advises using Defiance.. hm.

WhiteAlien

Banned
I was talking about Defense rating, for mercs to be sort of "safe" in hell, if that's possible. I do not know what merc I will use, except that it will be a A2 Guard.

Yes, that's what I have always thought and I've always used Holy Freeze mercs on my casters. But too many people advises using Defiance.. hm.
I use def merc and I'm happy with that. He have 16k def and I have 6k on my soso. Def merc survives better in my opinion than HF, especially if he is the middle of Lister pack in baalruns or when he faces some crazy death lords.

I use def merc and I'm happy with that. He have 16k def and I have 6k on my soso. Def merc survives better in my opinion than HF, especially if he is the middle of Lister pack in baalruns or when he faces some crazy death lords.
Lawl... I usually just keep a little ways back on my sorcis... then fire from the backside. Then merc never gets hit.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
I always thought Lister and co. sport ITD or something, or have an "always hits" attack, rendering Defense nigh on useless.

Either way, monsters slowed by HF attack ~half as often, thus dealing half the damage. HF merc makes a better tank in that case, since he's only receiving half the damage other mercs would.

You could always pick up a Doom weapon for a Defiance merc, and have the best of both worlds.

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
I always thought Lister and co. sport ITD or something, or have an "always hits" attack, rendering Defense nigh on useless.

Either way, monsters slowed by HF attack ~half as often, thus dealing half the damage. HF merc makes a better tank in that case, since he's only receiving half the damage other mercs would.

You could always pick up a Doom weapon for a Defiance merc, and have the best of both worlds.
Or that they just have crazy AR. :azn:

Meh, made this decision thousand times, it turns out to be the same. HF it is.

Nah, wep reserved for Insight or Infinity if I can make one. (this is legit SP mod I'm playing).

BlueDogAnchorite

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, but you can just teleport and reset his position..
Something which it took me a STUPIDLY long time for my enigma paladin to figure out when my merc kept dying in boss runs.

Megafusion

Diabloii.Net Member
same here the defiance merc is the best for the sorc cause he adds u an incredible amount of defense mine jumps from 3k to like 7k..

GotFriana

Diabloii.Net Member
I personally still prefer the Defiance merc, must have to do with my stile of play, at least for sorcs using cold the freeze aura from the merc seems redundant to me, even if some inmune creatures dont get the cold effects from the sorc s spells that s only maybe 1/4 of all the creatures in a map. And it is true some monsters ignore target s defense, but said monster will ignore the Holy Freeze merc s defense too. :p
And in really really bad situations, the best way to keep any merc alive is teleing him out :)

Edit: that s for sorcs using cold spells, I can see the advantages of a Holy Freeze Merc if you make a pure fire or lightning sorc.

Noite Escura

Diabloii.Net Member
Like someone said chilled monsters travel and attack slower(even Cis which you can't slow down with your cold spells), thus doing less damage and having more exposure time to spells like Meteor, Hydra and Firewall.

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
I still don't really see the Defiance argument. The defense jump isn't really that effective late-game (maybe a 10-20% decrease in chance to be hit?) and it only helps against attacks that require AR to hit. Holy Freeze, OTOH, slows everything down by about half, making you take about half as much damage from everything (well... nearly everything). Anyone care to explain how Defiance can come anywhere close to halving the amount of damage you take? :rolleyes:

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
I still don't really see the Defiance argument. The defense jump isn't really that effective late-game (maybe a 10-20% decrease in chance to be hit?) and it only helps against attacks that require AR to hit. Holy Freeze, OTOH, slows everything down by about half, making you take about half as much damage from everything (well... nearly everything). Anyone care to explain how Defiance can come anywhere close to halving the amount of damage you take? :rolleyes:
That is exactly what I have been thinking all this time. Even on a pure cold sorc, I would prefer a HF Merc.

But now I hear a Defiance merc with Stone, etc. with 25k+ def is a serious tank in Hell... is that true? :tongue:

GotFriana

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I dont use a defiance merc to reduce my damage or getting hit less, I try to avoid getting hit at all in first place, the defense boost from my point of view is only usefull to him.
I havent actually taken the time to run the numbers and make calcs about defense and real chances of getting hit, in my experience I dont have troubles keeping the merc alive, except in those situations where I see other people has the same problems with their Holy Freeze merc, so never bothered... And I dont say Defiance is the way to go and is the best, other players may have other preferences.
What I ve been trying to find recently is a list or description of all the monsters in game that have ignore target s defense to see how important that is to consider it. I know of a few like Minions of Destruction but I d like to see if there are more and how numerous those are.