Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Crushing Blow Set-Up

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by create2xs, Feb 27, 2004.

1. create2xs

create2xs IncGamers Member

Merc Crushing Blow Set-Up

This is what my lvl81 ActII Might Merc uses...

Guillaume's Face (from Orphan's Call set - 215 def)
    +120% Enhanced Defense*
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    +35% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +15% Chance of Deadly Strike
    +15 Strength*

Etherial Unique Rattlecage Embossed Plate (upgrade Gothic Plate, now 497 def)
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 40%
    +45 to Attack Rating
    +25% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +200 Defense

Unique Hone Sundan Yari (3 socket "ShaelShaelAmn")
    +160-200% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 20-40 damage
    +45% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Repairs 1 durability in 10 seconds

He works for my softcore skelemancer providing "Might" to his undead army, PVM of course. This is new gear for my merc, until recently he has been using a Shaft/Gaze combo, both Um'd. With this new set-up my Merc has a natural 45 resist all in hell (down from MAX). So I have a few questions...

1) Does 45%, 35%, and 25% chance of Crushing Blow equal 105% chance of a Crushing Blow, or is it 3 opportunities (45%, 35%, and 25%) each strike?

2) I am planning on socketing both the helm (Guillaume's) and the body armor (Rattlecage) in and want to consider all my options. So what would be best to socket them with? The Rattlecage could use a Pul rune for the added defense (and hopefully get 600-700 def). And I doubt I could go wrong with an ed/ias or ed/max jewel in the helm... suggestions?

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

CB stacks, so yes.

Boosting his resists is also a good choice, use an Ums or a +resist all/max dmg jewels.

Isn't chance to flee on the Rattlecage annoying as hell?

3. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

If you are on Ladder, I would stay away from using Pul or Um, both runes have added value on Ladder. As RTB explained, a 14 or 15% resist all jewel with a second mod (+ max damage for instance) is a great choice for the helm. As for the armor, hmmmm I might get flamed but I would be tempted to use a Damage reduced by 7 or MDR Rune (forget which they are), but remembering that this is a normal (although upgraded) unique I wouldn't get crazy and use a rare rune. Keep in mind you can always unsocket with a Hel rune, but you would lose the valuable Pul in the process. I truly believe Damage reduced by 7 would be more valuable than that slight defense increase in the long run, and you save a much rarer rune.

As for Rattlecage, I actually don't mind the flee in certain situations, In fact for my PD necro who used Fleshripper, upgraded Rattlecage was gonna be his end-game armor (I recently quit D2, giving away my items on the Trade Forum), since I don't mind the monsters fleeing with massive poison running in their systems (they were slowed with Fleshripper anyhow). Looks great on Necros too :thumbsup: . I think its fine for mercs (especially Act 1 mercs)

On the other hand, for most character builds I know how annoying Monster flee can be, geez I couldn't even stand the KB on WF.

4. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

I don't really have any suggestions for what to socket in on those, but I could suggest something else.

I myself have a skellimancer, lvl 91, US East ladder. And I myself tried various CB setups on my might merc. I do PvM too. A little differece with you might be the running areas(I run baal), and the weapon on merc.

My merc use guillaume's face(ptopaz), skullders(ptopaz), and a steelpillar(AMNed), obviously designed for MF. The helm and weapon gives total of 60% CB, which is more than enough for me. I have tried rattlecage and didn't like it for it's flee thing. I have tried various %'s of CB's(25, 35, 60, and 85) and things look similar if it's over 50%.

I prefer steelpillar over honesundan, unless it's upped and ethereal(if the steelpillar is eth too, I will certainly go for it). The steelpillar has huge bonus to defense, and a high dmg. Amn it, and you wont need anymore leech. CB works only untill the monster's health is higher than 1/4 or something, and from then the actual dmg is what counts. Hone sundan lags huge in this matter.

CB on bosses are a wonder! Try killing baal with and without CB. It's simply amazing. As good as or better than sorc's static field IMO.

5. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Steel Pillar is always Indistructible, so getting an ethereal one is impossible.
    CB works unless the monster is PI. There's no cap like the cap on Static Field.

6. Senti

Senti IncGamers Member

I think that I read somewhere that crushing blow is capped at 40% or 50% but I don't remember where was it.. I'm not sure right now

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Crushing Blow is not capped.

8. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

lol, if CBlow were capped, that would have made the 75% CBlow on Cranium Basher pretty useless. I used to use Cranium Basher in 1.09 I'm certain it wasn't capped.

9. Senti

Senti IncGamers Member

ok I shouldn't have written it when I wasn't sure :) sorry for that
    I'm playing this game for a long time and still learning. But I still don't know is it something bad with my memory or I really have read something about the CB being capped. But now I for sure know that it isn't.

10. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

It's ok, I used to think CB was capped, I'm sure most people did. Perhaps you were thinking of something like DR (Damage Reduction) which is capped at 50% now.

11. halohalo

In my observation there is a cap like static field in CB. When killing baal, each successful CB landed(which can be identified with a special pinkish flash over baal's head) will take off baal's life by, say, 1/10 inch. 1/10 inch when his life is full, same 1/10 inch when he is less than a third of his full life. When he's left with less than 1/10 inch of life, no more CB seem to work. I know for sure, because I know how slow his health go down when no CB is working(I remember those hard and slow days with pain). So I definitely believe in CB not working in certain situations.

12. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

CB is based on the monsters current health so the more damage you have done to the monster the less affect CB will have on it.

jarul have corrected the AS again so here is the CB info that should be correct.

Crushing Blow
    This is a chance of reducing a monster's health by X% in a single blow.

-Default: 1/4th

-vs. Players: 1/10th
    -vs. Hirelings: 1/10th
    -vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/8th
    -with missile weapons, default: 1/8th
    -with missile weapons, vs. Players: 1/20th
    -with missile weapons, vs Hirelings: 1/20th
    -with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th
    -The life removed is also scaled with number of players. So that if a monster has 450% more life due to 8 players (or whatever the value is) the life removed is further reduced by the same amount (450% would equal multiplying by 4.5 so the life removed by Crushing Blow is divided by 4.5).

Physical resistance does apply to Crushing Blow damage, but only if the resistance is positive. Crushing Blow Items stack in most cases. In 1.10 Crushing Blow is calculated before your normal damage. So, before doing the damage that you would normally do, there is a chance you will reduce the health of the monster by X% then normal damage apply to the resulting lower life. If you have more than one item with Crushing Blow, the probabilities will be added together. There will be one random check for a Crushing Blow. There is no check for each separate item, so one can not get multiple Crushing Blows in one attack.

so for eatch meele hit on hell baal players 1= about 500000 hp

will reduce it with 1/8

so

500000/8=62500 hp is removed due to CB

if we say you only do 1000 normal damage to baal his life drops to

with the next hit he would lose

436500/8=54562.5 + your regular 1000 damage

so if we check the values we see hoe its gets less and less effective all the time.

aka

first CB hit took 62500 life the second CB hit took 54562.5 life

thats a diff of 7937.5 betwwen just those 2 CB hits.

13. Jayman450

Jayman450 IncGamers Member

I just set one up for my necro. He's great. This is what he has.

Guillaume's Face (Clean)
    Upgraded Shaft (UM)
    Upgraded Hone Sundan (Amn, Amn, Hel) ~ 180ED and does 70-477.

At LvL 83 he does 617-2679 Damage, 62 Res all.

Didn't got with any CB for armour as keeping merc alive is a must for his aura. Upgraded UM shaft gives nice defence, res, life and dr. +80 CB isn't bad. Don't see the need for more. Owns Baal now but as lone_wolf mentions it's not as usfull as they get low. Percfet merc for necro IMO. Eth Upgraded Hone would be ultimate!!!

14. halohalo

I know your informations are from the arreat's summit. I have been there too, and found no mentioning on whether CB works based on 'current life' or 'full life'.
    I understand what you are trying to say. That was exactly how I believed the CB to work. But the thing is, I am suspecting that the CB doesn't seem to work as you say. As I said before, no matter how much the 'Current' life is, the 'amount'(not ratio) of life taken away by a successful CB seem to be always the same.
    This is from my observation. No math included here.

15. Jayman450

Jayman450 IncGamers Member

I just killed D Clone again with my IK Barb last night. He only has the 40 CB for IK Maul. Uning concentrate he went down in just under 2 minutes. The first 3/4 came off quite quick with the last quater taking longer. So i think its current life IMO.

16. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Observations tend to be inaccurate, CB works on the current amount of life.

17. halohalo

Well you put it very simple(too simple), but where does your information come from? I would like to see it.
    I know observations tend to be inaccurate, but I also know that many errors were corrected from careful observations. I have run baal from 83 and am now almost 92. All my exps were gained from these runs, so imagine how many times I've seen CB work/not work on him. One error I found that is not as what's written on arreat's summit's CB information is that no matter what curse you use on baal, CB works the same. That is, using no curse or decrepify(-50% physical res) or amp dmg(-100% phys res) makes no difference on the amount of life taken away by one successful CB hit, when arreat summit says they would differ.
    I could also have stated "CB works on the amount of full life. Informations tend to be inaccurate." But that would only bring an argument rather than a discussion. Plz state the source of your information, so I can study it.

18. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Jarulf, IIRC it was originally from the AB forums, but he also corrected the information on the AS.

And errors were made with observations, like all the Faster Hit Recovery and FBR tables. I also remember the people at the Amazon forum believed the Pierce% itself was capped to 95% in 1.09, because of their observations, which was wrong as well.

It should have some effect, Baal has 50% Physical resistance. IMHO it's still hard to see because of the size of the monster life bar.

Search for "Amazon Basin" using Google, you'll find far more statistical information there, including Crushing Blow information.
    We're not allowed to give people the link to competing forums :rolleyes: