Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc choice for strafezon?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Decker, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Merc choice for strafezon?

Hello~

Right now my WF strafezon pit runner is level 84 [almost 85] and seeing as how I'm so close to level 85, I was thinking of Azure. I'm an LoH user with my WF, so basically I kill any demon-based char in not too long. My problems are generally started only when I'm fighting those undead who not only do not give leech, but take quite a bit longer to kill.

At the moment, I'm using an Act II Blessed Aim Merc with a shael'd Reaper's Toll, Vampire Gaze and Upgraded Shaftstop...Earlier on I was having trouble hitting monsters [particularly the undead, had around a 60% chance] and now it seems to be all now that I put so many points in Dexterity and Penetrate. I was pondering what merc you guys would recommend; I could use a might merc to add damage to everything, or I could use an Act3 or 5 merc using azurewrath but I don't know if Azure's Sanctuary is even that much more powerful to the undead as Might is for all around damage. ATM my Windforce's max damage is 500, and with knockback I can't see any use in a holy freeze mercenary because I don't seem to be dying.

Oh, and for reference...With Blessed Aim, I have about 85% chance to hit undead guys, 73-75% without and 90-92% chance to hit Dark Stalkers with it and about 80% chance without.

Thanks.

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Max out penetrate and get a might merc

3. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Is it actually worth taking the time to level one from as low as that...prolly will take a while. How does the time stack up with the amount of damage it does, thus lowering pit runs? Mmm, and I imagine that NM Baal runs are the way to go for the first 10-20 or so levels with them?

4. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I assume you know that a might merc is bought in nightmare act2 as an offensive merc. This means that he will be a maximum of level 47 or so if you buy him there (lower if your char is a lower level). Once mercs are past level 25 they are far LESS sensitive to monster levels when getting experience for kills (either you or them killing the monster). Keeping this in mind and the fact that your zon and valk should provide enough cover for the merc, do lots of eldritch+shenk runs (big games not 1 player) in nightmare to level him to 65 or 70. The minions and the two bosses provide big chunks of experience even to a level 40 something mercenary. Once you hit 65 or 70 take him to nightmare baal runs and get him to 75 or so, after which he will gain levels far faster pretty much anywhere in HELL(I recommend flayer jungle that place is an experience gold mine).

5. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Appreciate it.

6. Rain

Rain IncGamers Member

I got my merc from 46-84 this weekend. I had pretty good results clearing all the halls under Pindle in nightmare. He would average about three levels per floor from 46-75, then I switched to hell and had the same results just about until I hit the 80's, and it slowed down a bit.

I usually did this solo, and sometimes I would do a baal run before starting all over.

7. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Heh, that place is absolute ownage, thanks Rain. Got my mercenary from level 50 to 65 in about 30-45 minutes via that place, not that Eld/Shenk runs aren't great. Just gotta aim for champions and unique bosses it seems, they give a crapload of exp to him...

8. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

iirc, my strafeazon uses a might merc. Holy freeze is also good to get more crowd control.

9. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

At first I thought a Might Merc would not add a lot of extra damage output when you take into account you will be hitting less. Each arrow that connects will do more damage but if they don't connect as much...

As to whether a Blessed Aim is better than a Might for your particular build and equipment will depend on how often you are hitting now and how much extra damage the Might Merc will give. The Might aura bonus is added to Dexterity and skill bonuses from Strafe and does NOT multiply them. Rather is multiplies the basic damage done by the bow including + max and + min from charms and equipment. So if your WF bow (with + max and + min added )does say 300 average damage per arrow the Might Merc will add 200 %ED at a skill level of 17 which will add 600 average to your current damage.

Here are some rough calculations :)

Using your figures from above on your Blessed Aim Mercs effect your could go from say 85% chance to hit to 73% which is a loss of 12% damage output. Assuming you have 330 Dexterity and maxed strafe that would give about +450 %ED so your average damage per shot would be

300 * (1 + 450%) * 0.85 = 1402 with BA
    300 * (1 + 450% + 200%) * 0.73 = 1642 with Might.

That seems to be about a 17% increase in damage and could be worth all that leveling.

Taking LoH into account against Demons only there is a slightly lower gain.
    300 * (1 + 450% + 350%) * 0.85 = 2295 with BA
    300 * (1 + 450% + 350% + 200%) * 0.73 = 2409 with Might.

which is only a 5% increase in average damage.

All the above numbers are purely illustrative and you can insert the real numbers if you need a more accurate appraisal.

However, it's clear that a Might does do more damage with a high damage bow like WF.