Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc Armors

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by LordHoth, May 16, 2008.

1. LordHoth

LordHoth IncGamers Member

Merc Armors

Well while I was Pat'ing my necromancer, I found a 0-socket etherial Hellforge Plate from someone in Lister&co.'s gang. I used the cube to socket it and got this:

Hellforge Plate
    Defense: 1158
    Durability: 31 of 31
    Required Strength: 186
    Required Level: 59
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x9da57a48
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 0 used)

I was hoping for 3 for Duress or Lionheart for my merc as he needs a better armor, but I'm not really sure what to do with this. I was thinking either Stone or maybe Fortitude if I can get my hands on a Lo. Do you guys think this is worth these runes for just a merc armor, or is it a bit of a waste?

(for the curious, I'm using either an Obedience or Insight thresher, with an Andariel's Visage for the helm. ATM I'm using a Duriel's shell, but I think I need a better armor for running WSK as he dies...a lot).

2. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Re: Merc Armors

It is absolutely not worth a Lo.

It's a fairly good stone base if you want to stack defense, but I don't really like that option in general.

My baal runner's merc uses a treachery for the PDR/resists (the IAS is quite helpful too). If you want more advice on keeping him alive, what's your build, equip, and level?

-CG

3. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I agree, don't waste a lo on it. It would make a good stone, you could easily get 3k def on it, which isn't bad.

Just curious, but do you remember which monster dropped it? The ilvl=** seems really odd.

4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Agree with CG on all counts.

Consider Treachery and Gloom as well. Duress and Lionheart are nice, but are more focused on offense.

@skoolbus: ilvl=** could be any old alvl=85 bosspack.

@bladejj: Meant bosspack. Sorry.

5. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Bosses don't drop grey items.

6. Colorless Green

I believe lister's minions are level **, possibly another wave too.

-CG

7. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Ah. I didn't know that, thanks. ATMA says that all the minions in the chaos sanctuary and throne of destruction are all mlvl **.

8. LordHoth

@ skoolbus: It dropped from one of the 2 groups just before Lister, can't rember which just remember that is about where it was.

@CG: A very detailed explanation of my build can be found here. It's where I posted the Pat a few days ago. Basically it's a Lv 91 fishymancer with all of the non-runeword trimmings, AKoL, Homunc, Skulders, Shako, Mara, just no Beast or Enigma yet, still trying to decide on whether or not to keep my Goldwrap or try to find an Arachnid's. My merc is also a lv91 Act 2 Might merc.

Problem, even with level 32 skellies, the merc is crucial with his might aura. He usually gets the first couple of bodies to drop in WSK, then CE takes out the rest.

9. Colorless Green

I'd personally recommend either obedience or a +4 arioc's (ideally eth), vampire gaze, and treachery. I think the only thing your merc is missing is PDR, which is quite helpful. The obedience will be a bit quicker for the merc to land kills, but the +4 skills from arioc's will boost your might aura quite a bit, helping all your minions.

-CG

10. LordHoth

Ya I'll have to try to find some of those. Unill then do you think Tal rasha's +obedience+ shaftstop would be better?

Edit: Just tried it, my merc has 75% all resists still. I lose the +2 from the Andy's, about 300 armor, and the CBF and life from the Duriels, but I have gotten about 2% more Life Leach, and the 30% dmg reduction, so I'll have to try this for a bit, and see how it does.

11. Colorless Green

Yeah, that should work pretty well. It looks good enough on paper that I'd say you should give it a few runs and see if he survives better. When you've got the opportunity, though, the IAS from the treachery will be extremely helpful.

-CG

12. LordHoth

I did notice though that the Vamp. Glaze adds cold damage, and I can attest that just the small amount of cold dmg on Obedience is annoying as hell due to a lot of shattering of corpses which could have been more skellies, revives, and most importantly, CE targets. Any ideas for good setups with no cold damage, although the setup you gave me earlier might just trump having a few corpses?

13. Colorless Green

Does he have maxed resists with shaftstop/andy's?

14. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Also cater for what is killing him. If its big physical damage that is killing him then eth shaftstop with eth vampire gaze both socketed with Sols or even perfect Ruby's is great. If he is being killed by gloams then put some lightning absorb on him or perhaps an eth guardian angel and a big resists helm to give him 90% resist all. Going from 75 resist all to 90 makes a big difference as it cuts the elemental damage he was taking by 60%. Personally I cater for the situation. If I want him defensive and alive as long as possible to provide his aura then I go defensive setup (GA + vampiregaze or blackhorns face). Where I have lots of minions so the merc takes less hits and stays alive longer I go more aggressive with damage stuff like Andy's Visage, Treachery, etc. As a skellymancer I am surprised that your merc gets killed. With so many targets around I figured the skellies would absorb most of the damage not him.

15. LordHoth

@CG: Ya he has max all resists with the current setup (Tal's +Shaftstop). Without Obedience however he only has 70 res in all.

@Cius: I'm not really sure what is killing him to tell the truth. I think it is mainly black souls and OK's. He dies a lot during the Baal's minions phase, where Lister and his pals come out (although that may just mean that they have had some bad mods....can't remember). Funny thing is that Baal goes down like nothing, even on P8, it just takes time. Between my clay golem and decrept, he moves so slow that I didn't even lose a skelly.

I may have had some bad luck, although I'll try to get some of those equips that you guys mentioned like Vamp Glaze, Trechery, Needle ect. I'm trying to figure a way to do it without having cold damage on him, and still have all of the things that you guys mentioned before (LL, DR, resists, CB/OW, high weapon damage, +skills ect.) but if I can get a really good Vamp's glaze helm them I'll just have to suck it up and live without those extra CE's. If I'm running Baal, then CE isn't really useful of course so the extra survivability to my merc and extra damage output is defenately worth it.

16. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

If its Lister and co then its probably high physical damage. Definitely go with shaftstop and some decent life leach on a big hurty stick. If you can't get vampire gaze then perhaps crown of thieves or Tal Rasha's helm for life leach and life. Crushing blow is also very useful against both Lister and co and Baal as it cuts the kill time down a ton so make sure you get a weapon with that on it.

17. Colorless Green

It's gonna be really tricky to defend against gloams while maintaining both pdr and leech. Do you have a point in attract? If you can handle everything but gloams in a pdr setup with 75 res, then you can just toss an attract out at the first sight of gloams, and you should be alright (though you might want to keep a finger near the big purple button). If you do find gloams to be more of an issue than physical damage, though, definitely switch to a kira's and a guardian angel (but this will require you to switch to a weapon with leech).

-CG

18. LordHoth

Actually the gloams I think I was just misplaying. I started using dim vision once I see that lightining bolt and it works wonders, they just come straight for me. I haven't run into any OK's since, so I havent gotten to test that one.

I was also thinking perhaps Eth Hon Sudan yari with Amn, Amn, Shael, Rockstopper sallet, and trechery as a possibility. I would lose a ton of damage though unless I upped it, and even then it's probably not worth the runes to do that.

19. Colorless Green

Without upping it it probably isn't worth it IMO, except against baal for the CB. And unless you're rich or you want to make a polearm barb, I'd recommend against burning the runes. You could leave an eth/eth/shael (or whatever amount of IAS you need) hone sundan (doesn't have to be ethereal even) in your cube for when you go up against baal.

OK's are really always going to be a problem. The only real way around them is to remove your merc's weapon at first sight. I usually just wind up having to resurrect them when IM shows up (usually not until all the OK's are dead). If you have a source of teleport (a naj's staff on switch works if you don't), you can try to pull him away from monsters when he gets hit with IM, but using an eth obedience, he'll probably die the first time he attacks, and it's not always easy to catch in time.

20. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Hey LordHoth, just a suggestion on raising skellies. Do you go to Pindles Garden and rasie them there? It makes gathering an army slightly easier than waiting for the merc to kill some enemies in the WSK. Plus you get to kill Pindle as well. :smiley: