Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Merc and Iron Maiden Problem

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ExGreenBeret, Oct 31, 2006.

1. ExGreenBeret

ExGreenBeret IncGamers Member

Merc and Iron Maiden Problem

Has anyone come up with a successful way of keeping an Insight merc alive in the chaos sanctuary?

Here is what I have tried - with no success
    Voulge Insight - so he does as little damage as possible
    Shaft Armor with ruby - giving him 30 dr and +98 life
    Gaze with ruby - more dr and 38 more life and the life leech

But even this doesn't work. As soon as he gets imed - BAAM! he commits suicide.

Do we just have to admit defeat and do chaos runs w/o that nice meditation boost - or has anyone found a way to keep him alive?

thanks

2. jag

jag IncGamers Member

Best you can do is constantly teleport to bring the merc back. Chaos is a rough place for any melee character/merc.

Another solution (?) is to wear insight yourself - course that is usually a huge step down in damage/res/safety.

3. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

Make insight in a low dmg weapon, that way he doesnt kill himself wen IM'd.

4. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

To be honest sometimes I will remove the weapon from my mercenary in the CS. That way he does minimal damage so has a hard time committing suicide and can still tank somewhat.

The down side is it limits any leaching he may have been doing and I have to deal with any immunities that may arise alone.

5. bradtford

bradtford IncGamers Member

go very slow or dont go at all. if u wanna keep the merc alive stay in front of him. neither are good ideas when trying to chaos, i would reccomend putting a phoenix shield on a hammerdin and have at it jsut redeem everything.

6. ExGreenBeret

ExGreenBeret IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input; unfortunatly none really solve the problem.

-themachine, like I said, I made insight in a voulge, the lowest damage you can get, but it still doesnt work.

-mursilis, removing the insight from merc completely loses the point of having an insight merc. The point is to have meditation active so mana is not a problem.

-bradtford, having redeem on me won't help my merc. Redeem is not a party aura. It only helps the one its on.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Are 12 or 16 mana pots really not enough? Can you get some SOJs or silks or etc for some more mana?

8. themachine

Well then I suggest to slap a duress or fort on him and make your insight in the biggest baddest pole you can find. If hes gonna keep dying he may as well do more dmg. Chaos isnt a place for rushing in head first, though. When you find a pack of baddies just retreat a ways and lure the melee guys away from casters. Take them out slowly.

9. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

My mercs usually don't have a problem with Iron Maiden, even if they deal a lot of damage. I've learned to recognize the sight and sound of the curse. Also, take out the Oblivion Knights first before going after the other monsters.

10. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Yes, I realize removing the weapon negates the idea of making the Insight in the first place. Unfortunately to get through CS without the mercenary dying much you may have to make some sacrifices in that particular area. While you will be going through mana pots as if they are going out of style, thankfully the caster monsters in the CS do drop them fairly often. I find that I normally only have to return to town to restock 3-4 as a result.

There isn't really a great way to avoid Iron Maiden if you haven't been able to recognize the sound/caster animation as Evrae Altana mentioned.

11. themachine

Confuse or Attract works great. The melee guys will turn on the casters.

12. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

the best you can do is take out the mages down there before they can cast im, depending on your char, tele up to them and hit the bosses with everything you got

or take it slow, run up to a group and lead them back to your merc, the knights will follow, mages generally stay put

13. Zukarius

Zukarius IncGamers Member

I agree with Evrae Altana...take the Oblivion Knights out first...try not to tele to them as it brings your merc along. I am speaking from experience with my Hammerdin as I don't know what character you use for Chaoing. I usually run up to them before the merc can catch up and start spamming hammers. I have put one point into redemption and with the + skills it is enough so that when the merc dies (and he does) I don't have to keep going back to town. Full juvies are your friend:afro:

My merc is using eth andys, eth fort, and eth Insight CV.