Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mephiz rebuilds his smiter....

Discussion in 'PvP' started by mephiztophelez, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

mephiz rebuilds his smiter....

ok, i'm rebuilding my smiter after coming to the conclusion that fort is a crappy pvp smiter armour. the life boost from enigma is really nice and tele-smiting seems to be the go.

i've read Camdens wonderful smithy guide

so for gear:
    hat: CoA (45res/23dr/148 str req)
    armor: enigma mageplate
    belt: 'dungos and a rare with resis, fhr, life etc, possibly an arach?
    ammy: prolly a mara's, might keep a highlords onhand for ias stack.
    wep: grief PB
    shield: up'd HoZ (don't have and don't want to use an exile, if i need/want 'tap, i'll use marrowwalks) and a 109% res-all Sanctuary Vortex as my main fighting shields.
    gloves: thinking of keeping Bloodfists, Clegs and Trang's onhand depending on need.
    boots: thinking of waterwalks as standard booties, but keeping some resis rares and some marrowwalks (for bm'age) onhand
    rings: ravenfrost and %'sorb on demand. keep a nice resis/fcr ring in the stash
    switch: CTA/Spirit.
    charmset: lifer sc's with resists where available, fhr charms to make up 48% fhr, maybe a few spares onhand to counter slow.

skills.....

max: holy shield, smite, fanat, resist lightning
    1pt: holy freeze, zeal and salvation
    spares to Charge,

should i chase FCR in any big way? should i keep an 86% fhr setup handy? should i build in the str/dex from marrowwalks (and use them all the time)? or just the dex on waterwalks?
    this is mostly for smiter vs all duelling, i doubt i'll do too well against a pure smite v smite build and i don't want to go the 40k-defence-barb-killer route.

thoughts? opinions? flames?

2. MysticDragon

MysticDragon IncGamers Member

Re: mephiz rebuilds his smiter....

I think you should keep a Trang / Spider / Spirit setup for telesmite on 75% FCR. It works very well against Necs and Sorcs.

3. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

You're gonna piss off a lot of builds with that maxed light resist >=D
    If you have highlords you could get grief BA too for times when you need range

4. mephiztophelez

i'm partly building this to try and take care of the high-defence v/t's that seem to enjoy invading BvB games.

my previous build was gfg against fc'zons and nub auradins, i expect this one will do the job against these opponents with minimal difficulty.

i have 2x pally spirits. one is a 35%fcr kurast, the other a 34fcr saccy targe (bah). stash space is filling up really quick.

5. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

ok about fcr if ur folllowing a tele-smiting based pala 18% fcr or 30% fcr is good enough vs mele so this means aquiring a nice 18% + fcr amu.

trang+ sprit and arch for 75% fcr.

shako jah is a nice switch vs casters like hammers for the hp increase.

@ which boots to use? marrows are nice to use but to me a good boot other than waterwalks would contain frw/str/dex/light res/cold res marrows can be good to hold for bm i.e liftap charges etc.

gloves wise blood fist are good if u switch to a shako hp based setup to still maintain 48% fhr. dracks in main setup.

Exile is a nice shield to carry other smiters or when tap is needed, i.e vs windy

6. mephiztophelez

i don't see this build as being a consistent hammerdin-killer....

problem with res-boots (and even hotspurs) is that both marrows and waterwalks have +dex on 'em, so if i want to keep these as an option, it'll cost me ~15 dex.

if i want/need/feel-like-using lifetap, i'll just cast it straight from the marrowwalks (vs gg barbs and windies i see myself using 'em. also against exile smiters who won't switch to a HoZ, u use 'tap, i'll use 'tap. difference is: i won't screw around with waiting for it to proc). repair costs aren't an issue when i also have a 2k goldfind neccy.

i'm sorry, but an Exile shield & Dracs is simply out of the question for me (i don't want my smiter to be one of those nubs who rely on life'tap vs all). i'm trying to make a GM smithy, but i'm also happy to carry a couple pieces of BM gear for use as appropriate (the Clegs gloves and marrows fit this catagory)

7. Xombie

Xombie IncGamers Member

spirit shield for super tele smites 24/7

8. naskali

naskali IncGamers Member

Because you get 30 FHR from both CoA and Bloodfists, why not going for 86 FHR?

9. mephiztophelez

hmm, i might just.... i cubed a baal gc into a 13res/12fhr one the other day and i was wondering what use i could give it....

but idk, thats a lot of life to give up. i'll be pissed off if i can't crack 4.3k'ish+

10. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

i never said it will be consistant vs hammerdin as we both know hammerdin>smiter only noobs or if ur lucky u will kill something decent.. However most of the smiters use a high hp setup, vs necs and hammers to tank more dmg, i.e 5k+ life setups..

well look at the boots mentioned to u? are u nl? even in camden's guide and like me we both use classic type boots which offer 30% frw/strenght 1x/dex 1x/light res and cold res preferably imo. This allows u to switch to water walks even marrows without no problems and still get stack on important elements like cold and light

ok fair enough but u do realise this is probably more bm than naturally getting lifetap i.e casted through smiting and whos to say he does not bring or cast amp to the table? Also i dont know about ur slow rules there but i find clegs + string i believe with hf good for tele-smiting.

Again thats ur personal wishes so it up to u what u believe is bm or not.

Also i believe it may be worth using a stat ring with ur raven frost as u can gain alot of stats if u use a nice one. Same with amu u could use a nice 2 pala/str/dex/life/@ res amu oin place most of the time or skill/fcr/dex/str/all res

11. mephiztophelez

yar, unfortunatly, such boots are a bit beyond me. however, thinking about it some more, when i REALLY need res, i'll be using a sanctuary shield (+20 dex) so i'll be able to swap out the waterwalks for some attainable resis rares.

i'm under no illusions at all that using the 'tap charges on marrows is completely BM. in any event, i prefer to duel without 'tap.

idk what the slow "rules" are on west either, but there are plenty of clegs wielding smithers around.

as for the exile/dracs, meh, i'll see how i go. if i find i "need" them, i can always get 'em later.

i don't have such an ammy, besides, surely the extra +2 to BO from mara's adds up to a lot of statpoints? i'd like to keep the option of switching out the mara's for a highlords for IAS stacking. that said, if i DID have such a godly rare pally ammy, i would definatly be building it in.

i'm in the market for a nice rare ring with GG resis and nice life on it. i like the idea of keeping a ringslot "free" to allow some flexibility.

thanx for the input so far guys! i appreciate it.

couple more questions: should i skill conviction (just a base point)? is vigor mandatory?

DanceWithDevils is now lvl 87.........

12. ambid

ambid IncGamers Member

If your gonna do alot teams duels, go for convi, otherwise it's not really worth it.

I'd definedly get vigor, better desynch is worth it, it's also handy when running in town or when you have teams mates that doesn't have tele, ie. bowazons.