Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mephisto-Runs Sorceress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by de_jos, Mar 20, 2004.

1. de_jos

de_jos IncGamers Member

Mephisto-Runs Sorceress

Mf-Sorceress: Mephisto-Runs

Introduction:
    Hello! First of all, notice that this guide is based upon my experiences playing with this build through the 1.10 beta patch, and I’m writing it to help those people willing to try the Sorceress out for the first time, or having trouble playing with one in this patch. I hope you enjoy this character as much as I do.

Stats/Skills Choices:
    I’d suggest you’re stats would look something like this.

Strength: enough for your equipment, so you’ll need a little less than 100, I think it’s 97 strength you’ll need to carry the MF-equipment. But to ease things up, take 100.

Dexterity: None of your equipment needs any of this, and it’s pretty useless to a sorc.

Vitality: This should be around 200, this will make sure you have enough life so if one of the unique monsters explodes, or if they attack you, you’ll have enough life and you need enough life, cause with the MF-equipment you won’t have a lot of resistances or defence.

Energy: I’ve put the remaining points in this one, so you got something like 250, you’ll need a lot of mana as a sorc, but with the energy shield this will make sure you stay alive, the energy shield will make sure the damage you get will be split over mana and life. And you’ll be needing enough Man to cast your spells.

Now for skills, the ones I suggest are:

Cold-Spells:
    Frozen Orb: This will be the most important skill to kill the monsters (Mephisto), it’s a very effective attack and you won’t need to aim right at the monsters. It’s best you put 20 points in this skill. So 20.

IceBolt: This one will make sure the damage of your Frozen orb will be higher, so this one should be set at 20 too. To make the fighting easier. So 20.

ColdMastery: Some peoples say you should put a few points in this one until it takes away like 100 off the enemy resist, but I’ve put it too 20 too, cause the less resist they have the easier they die. So 10-20 I’d suggest.

ShiverArmor: I used this one, cause when you don’t put a lot of points in it, it’ll have almost the same effect as the ChillingArmor. I’ve put 1point in it, cause with the right equipment it’ll come on +/- 10. So 1.

Fire-Spells:
    Warmth: this skill will make sure your mana refills faster I’ve put 5 points in it, but I heard some peoples put 10 in it, but I think that’s too much, cause with the right equipment It’ll come around 14.So 5.

Lightning-Spells:
    Nova: in case you encounter some cold immune monsters, you’ll have to defend yourself. So I’ve put this one on 20 too. It’s a fast attack and it’s very useful in some situations. So 20.

Teleport: very important, without teleport you better stop playing, cause you really need teleport if you wonna do MF-runs. It costs rather much mana, but if you put 1 point in it your equipment will get it al 10 and with energy at 250 you won’t have any problems. So 1.

EnegyShield: this is almost as important as teleport, without it, you’ll be dieing ever 5 seconds, this skill will divide the damage you take over mana and life, so if you have a lot of mana, you don’t have let us say 600 life and 1100 mana, it’ll be like you have 1500 life. But with 1 point in it, it’s already pretty effective, cause again your gear will make sure you have an energy shield of level 10. So 1.

LightningMastery: I’ve put the remaining point in this one, I think it is something around 10 points, this will make sure your nova will do a lot of damage and you can defend yourself against the cold immunes. So lets say it’ll be around 10.

Equipment Chooses:

Keep in mind you need your gear to have some fast cast rate, +skills, and a decent amount of Magical Finding, so you should always try to find a setup that provides you with these things. This said, I’ll just give a brief rundown of the useful items, and suggest a few top items that I thought would be useful looking at the new items.

Helm: Well personally for a good sorc, no matter what type the Harlequin Crest (Shako) is the best choice, it has 50 MF, and +2 to all skills, so this one is one of the best helms for a MF sorc.

Armor: I use the Skulders Ire, It has an amount of MF based on character level and it has +1 to all skills, so very useful do some extra damage and It’ll give you a lot of MF. The best choise For a MF sorc.

Shield: well I thing the Lidless Wall is the best choice here, it doesn’t have any MF, but it has +1 to all skills and some extra mana, very useful.

Weapon: The Occulus, +3 to all skills and 50 MF pretty useful for any kind of sorc, and even better for a MF-sorc because of the extra MF

Boots: Well, the Wartravellers are the most useful boots, they have, I think, most MF of all the boots so, the best to do MF-runs with. And the have a lot of defence, so Useful.

Belt: I use the Goldwrap, It has 30 Mf, but there isn’t much defence, so it’s a bit of a dilemma, there are other belts ( rare belts) with a lot more defence but, they don’t have as much MF as this belt. But I advice to use this one because normally you don’t get too close to your Enemies so you won’t be needing a lot of defence.

Gloves: Chance Guards, these gloves have a lot of MF, but again, these aren’t very protective, they don’t have a lot of defence, but I think these are the best choice.

Amulet: I use Mara’s amulet for it’s +2 to all skills, but you can also use an amulet with +1 to skills and some MF, but with the rest of the equipment you’ll get around 400% mF witch should be enough to find the good items.

Ring: I advice to use a nagel ring, because it has a lot of MF and a Stone of Jordan or a Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band, these two give another +1 to all skills and are pretty useful. If you have both of them use the Stone Of Jordan, because it has +25% to mana.

Charms: Well, If you have a cold skiller or a Lightning skiller, these could be very useful, but not necessary, other charms, 7 Mf charms and resistance charms are very useful, especially the resistance charms, cause the MF equipment hasn’t got any extra resistances at all (except for the Mara’s amulet) so these things would make thing only easier. µ

Greetz! Jos :thanks:

2. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

Dex are not useless. More point you dumb in to it the less damage you might take.

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Dex is ONLY useful if you are heading vor max-blocking with the shield of your choice, rather than the full Vitality version. Both are just fine if you follow them through and dont start mixing.

4. de_jos

de_jos IncGamers Member

For doing mephi runs you don't need dexterity, cause if he asttacs, you usally dodge his attack so...

5. melianor

I just thought to mention this since you said that dex is useless on sorc. In a general sense this is not right ;)
    Concerning Meph this would be correct, since you only need sufficient FCR to teleport down to him and Blocking does not work with Super Unique bosses anyways.

6. de_jos

de_jos IncGamers Member

Yep thats right,

But I have a question for all, what do you thoink of this thread? Do you guys think this is a good MF-sorc or not?

7. melianor

Well, Frozen Orb with synergies and CM sounds very good.
    But i am not too confident about Nova, even with maxed LM your damage will not be near as to what it was like in 1.09.
    With ALOT FCR gear you might be able to pull this off.

Warmth: never ever more than 1 point.

Teleport: 1 point aswell, you will have enough mana anyway.

Energy Shield: This will ONLY work if you invest into Telekinesis, since that is the only way to reduce tha mana drained from your mana ball. In 1.10 there are some attacks where the mana drained gts calculated BEFORE resists and other stuff are taken in, so with Black Souls for example you will have an instantly drained orb in no time if you dont have Telekinesis maxed and 1 point in Energy Shield.

If you want to make a hybrid Lightning/Cold Sorceress CL/FO is the way. You could try Nova, but i am simply not convinced with its damage that also get no backup from synergies in 1.10

8. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I second Mel's thoughs on nova. IMO it's pretty much useless these days. :( And, for meph, I'm not a believer in energy shield / tk. Just use the moat trick and you will have no trouble staying alive.

Mith

9. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Well, i "third" the thought about Nova. Doesn't cut it in hell. Also, they key to a good mephisto runner is a good merc. Make one that can tank mephisto till mephisto falls, and you don't even have to dodge any attacks (my soser just stands there and orbs him. lol)

10. melianor

Someone her wanted to build a 1.10 Nova/TS-Sorc with Forzen Orb and we got to the conclusion, that if Nova wsa to be of any use you would need at least +10 Grand Charm Ligthning Skillers and lots lots of +skills gear, accompanied by at least +105% FCR and lots of mana :D You could still do some immense damage then, but it might still not be enough.

+12 skills
    +10 GC LIghtning

lvl42 Nova
    lvl42 LM

10: Lightning Damage: 2189-2837 (not too bad)
    Mana Cost: 56 (!!) With 105% FCR your Orb will drain very fast. But i guess it could done ;)

11. luuuucifer

luuuucifer IncGamers Member

I just want to comment on the dex part.
    It is useful during your teleport trip to durance level 3. Unless you have maphack and know exactly where to go, there's a good chance a doll or a fast pack will get a swing at you. With something like Wistan's Guard (very cheap), you can get 75% block with a modest dex investment.

12. melianor

Although Blocking is certainly of use elsewhere, it is not when you encounter those dolls. You will get into blocking-motion and in thatt time another doll can manage to explode and so forth.
    Again, normally Blocking would be great, but with exploding dolls.
    The best you can have against those dolls is FCR, at least 63%+ ! This is the one requirement to escape the attacks you might get in durance lvl2.

Finding the exit to lvl3 can be done by going clockwise along the wall. Works just fine mostly, sometimes the exit is in the middle of the map.

13. luuuucifer

The dolls wont actually explode if you dont kill them.
    I'm talking about not being forced into stun-lock. Block-lock isn't so bad if you have the teleporting mouse button held down, but if you get hit by a pack of fast swing monsters and you get stun-locked...

14. melianor

Getting not hit at all would be better, no?
    Having good block is still nice though, i'll second that!

Example of getting not hit: 105% FCR. with 63%+ you can pull that off too, but need to be a little bit more careful.

15. luuuucifer

I agree that not getting hit is the best solution...
    But we are all human, and there's lag...

Arg. must remember to stop teleporting back into packs just to get that refilling shrine. Almost everytime I've died is when I tele past a nice shrine, and I turn back into the monster pack to try to get it. (too lazy to switch to telekinesis...)

16. melianor

laziness = death ;) Telekinesis & Teleport your means of transportation and chest/shrine/wp activation. I dont even think my sorceressbuilds remember what walking used to be like, after the got into their late lvls.

17. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Well, if I had so many charms, why not build a CL/ORB sorc? Not too original I guess, but more functional?

18. melianor

I was trying to display what damage you could get with Nova with all that gear. Ofcourse CL/Orb would be more effeicient with that gear and make more damage too.

19. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

I play only HC, and lately I do MF runs on meph, first in nightmare, to get a good practice, now in HELL.
    I do not use energyshield, i do not like to be withot mana, but i do use FCR.
    With teleporting you do not get hit, when you are somewhat carefull.
    I do not have to many mana, i use pots, 3-4 for every run, and i do not use a merc.
    I do not want to kill dols on the way to meph, but a merc will do automaticaly, and he is very fast, at the moment you land on a monster, he hits, and that can hurt, so a big NO NO for mercs whili teleporting.
    The moat trick works fine, but you have to look after the councils, that they dont interrupt, also the lords, but they are weak.
    FO is fine, but BLIZZARD is far better for the moattrick.
    And dont be affraid to give up a run, make a next, new one if the monsters spawn to tough, you have to survive, building a new one kosts about a weekend (for me, when the wife is not there), and you can do a lot of MF runs in that time.

Remember, i only play HC.

CU, sorcees.

20. melianor

On HC if using a Merc, take away his weapon ;) No problem with dolls then. In your case this wont apply since you use the moattrick which is no good at all with a Merc ;)