Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meph running Meteorb - Equipment for A2 merc??

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Broncobiv2, May 26, 2008.

1. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

Meph running Meteorb - Equipment for A2 merc??

I've been searching around the forums and playing with different equipment combinations for about 3 hours. I've been getting mixed results though, so I thought I'd post a new topic.

I am sick of using the moat trick to kill Meph with my Meteorb sorc, so I need to find the right equipment to put on my A2 Holy Freeze merc so he won't die. We're both level 92.

Originally I had him wearing Shaftstop (DR%), Rockstopper (DR% and resists), and Reaper's Toll (decrep). It was decent, but he still needed some rejuvs. So I tried Guillaume's Face instead of Rockstopper for the CB. Then I threw in an upped-eth Hone Sudan for more CB. But does that even help much, since as a sorc, I get Meph's health to 1/2 after 5 seconds with static anyway? I also put on him a Duriel's Shell to get his resists back up to 75%, since that used to be taken care of by Rockstopper. Well, he died much faster with that setup.

Is DR% very important with Meph? My merc sure seemed to die less with the 40% DR from his original setup. I know he can't leech from Meph, but the Decrepify from Reaper's slows him and lessens his physical damage a bit, right? And everyone talks about Hone Sudan as the great boss killer, but maybe it's more effective when you don't have static at your disposal.

I have a lot of options (including some other equipment besides what I talked about), and I just need a great setup for tanking/killing Meph. Obviously his equipment will be different for other bosses, but I'm just having trouble with this guy! Thanks!

2. Lyndar

Lyndar IncGamers Member

Re: Meph running Meteorb - Equipment for A2 merc??

My lvl 90 HF merc uses an ethereal kelpie snare, regular shaftstop, tal rasha's crest. Occasionally he dies but on P3 its a rare occurance. I do feed him potions regularly though.

3. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Have you tried Kelpie Snare? I haven't tried it against Mephi, but it works wonders against Baal. I wouldn't go to his Chamber without having a Kelpie in my Cube :smiley:

I used to Blizzsorc at Mephathon and my merc had this kind of setup: Eth CA Insight, Eth bugged Stone Shadow Plate and Andy's Face. Of course he died occasionally, but not much. For me, it was enough that he could tank Mephi for a short time, while my Blizzard killed it.

On a side note, my blizzballer's merc used this gear while MF Pentathalon: Eth 1.07 GT Insight, Fortitude AP, Eth Vampire Gaze. Of course, Forti is a bit expensive :smiley: But I think he would've done fine with some other armor like Duriels/Glad's Bane.

Reaper's Toll and it's Decrepify certainly slows Mephi and lowers physical damage and physical resist by -33%, IIRC. Could be very good thing, because I've noticed that Mephi's melee attack hurts my mercs the most.

4. Broncobiv2

I do have a nice eth-upped Kelpie, and I wouldn't even consider using anything else against Baal. But like you, I haven't tried it against Meph. I'm sure it won't completely negate his attacks like the weird way it does to Baal, but if it slows him enough so I can kill him before he kills my merc, then good enough.

I have an Insight on my Fishyzon's merc, but that's mainly for Meditation. I don't see any mods on it that would work specifically well against Meph, though (like Reaper's, Kelpie, or Hone Sudan). Any reason you used it both times?

5. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Meditation :smiley: For example, my Blizzsorc has approx 450-500 mana and spamming Blizzard and GS all the time takes mana. And I don't like to drink blue pots :grin: And I think, I'm killing the boss, not merc. Merc just keeps the boss still, so I can kill it. That's why I chosed Insight both times, to improve my killing ability.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Kelpie Snare works very well on Meph. At least better than anything else. DR reduction helps too, so I think you only need to switch Reapers for Kelpie. If the merc is under 80, he will still have difficulties to survive.

7. Broncobiv2

So you say that with my eth-upped Kelpie, regular Shaft, and regular Rockstopper, that setup should keep him alive long enough for Meteor to do the job? No need for Guillaume's, Vamp Gaze, Duriel's, Glad Bane, Stone, or any other helms/armors?

Like I said, my original setup worked the best, so just switching Kelpie in for Reapers could make sense. Makes me regret spending Lum+Pul to upgrade my eth Hone Sudan!

8. Juicy Cheese

Juicy Cheese IncGamers Member

I've never had any real luck with having a merc survive against Meph for me either, but from what's been said I'd use the Shaftstop, Rockstopper and the Kelpie. I'd be tempted to socket the Armour and Helmet with Sols, I'm not sure if 14 damage reduced would make all that much differene, but it might just clinch it if the merc only just dies when fighting Meph.

I'm not sure if damaged reduction is that affect in a smaller quantity, I understand it makes you almost immune when in higher numbers, maybe someone can confirm if this is a worthy investment.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Act bosses have largely increased damage (physical) against mercs, so what kills him is his regular melee attack. You need to have largest DR possible and slow him to not to use his melee so often (VampGaze might be better than Rockstopper). About slowing - HolyFreeze does nothing to him, and slow from equipment is capped at 50%, but Kelpie is still the best in doing the job unless you don't want to use Woestave. Other things that can slow him more is Decrepify and Clay golem.
    Of course killing him faster means better chance for your merc to survive too.
    Do you use Lower Resist charges from wand on switch? It should double your fire damage.

Anyways I used to run him with Kelpie, Rockstopper and Shaftstop too.

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I'm not "crazy runner" for MF targets, like many people here. From my exp while questing, the biggest merc killer when facing meph is his poison attack. If you run meph as solo target, try increasing poison resistant, it might work.

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Well, it seems like it (because usually Meph casts poison cloud soon), but it's not true, tested by feeding antidotes to him.

12. Broncobiv2

Nope, don't have a Lower Resist wand. I mean, I'm sure I could shop one pretty easily, but it would be kind of a pain to have to keep it on switch. I use my main killing orb to get 99% of his life down, and then switch to Gull+Rhyme for when he finally dies for the bonus 125% MF. Having a 3rd weapon to use would just be a pain.

I guess I just want my merc to be able to stand there toe to toe with Meph for 30 seconds and not die. Is that asking too much? :grin:

13. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Defiance merc with Kelpie, Shaftstop, Vampire's Gaze, all ethereal, upgraded if possible. Look up the Mephisto stats on the AS, sols are not going to cut it. As Hrus said, holy freeze doesn't work, so defiance may be you best shot, if it ever triggers. Better have high base defense. Also get as high a level as possible, I found 89 to be a minimum, about 1 death/50 runs, assuming no feeding potions. Which you should, better potions than take the time to resurrect him, less time. Aim for level 95 merc as it's easily done and takes care of the Mephisto vs Merc cth.

Last but not least: Kill with power. Get -175 cold res, and highest Xdamage possible. Fathom/Spirit, 2SoJ, skillers. Skulder's Ire/t, Shako/t, Chance Guards, War Travelers, +2/35mf amulet, Gheeds depending on you collection, it might pay not to take your best. Aim for about 500 mf on killswitch (2ist alibaba, 4ist monarch).

Edit: Took out the blizzard bit, you were after all talking meteorb, silly me.

14. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Wand of lifetap.

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I understand having MF switch.
    30 seconds is too long, he will probably not survive that long. And your whole Meph run should not take much more that 30 seconds. If only killing him takes 30 secs, then you probably don't have a good gear or you are doing something wrong. (high Players settings? you don't use Static Field? 30 secs is the time for moat trick?)

16. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Meph is a pain. Especially if you like to have insight on merc instead of something fast with crushing blow or a Kelpie. I am having much success (no deaths at all at /p1) with a 50dr setup (Shaftstop and perfect dr Vampire Gaze). I do use a CtA, but my blizzballer's damage is nothing much, due to not being pure blizz or focusing enough +skills gear.

So, long answer short, I, too, have reached the conclusion that when it comes to meph dr >> *

17. Broncobiv2

Well I just estimated the 30 seconds. It takes 11 statics to get his life to 1/2. Then it takes about 14 meteors...so with casting delay, I figured about 30 seconds. But maybe it's more like 20 seconds for the tanking part. That's on /players3. I think it's only 9 meteors on /players1, but I wanted a better nodrop chance.

My gear seems good enough...Shako, Mara's, 2xSOJ, +3 skills +18% fire damage Eschuta's, Vipermagi, Moser's, Chance Guards, Goldwrap, rare boots with FRW/MF (not sure if I want to dump 40 more points in STR for War Travs), and 1 fire skills charm. With charms and weapon switch (Gull+Rhyme), I have 404 MF (was 459, but I ditched all my 5% MFSC's to make room to pick up more stuff). That's also level 31 meteor, 13K-13.5K damage.

But my best times were still around 1 minute on /players3...and not much less on /players1. My map is only 6 teleports from WP to stairs. My computer is old, so load times are worse than computers with more RAM and speed, though. Methinks I need to do a little testing with Kelpie, Shaft, and Rockstopper.

And I know I'm missing a few key pieces of equipment. Somehow I haven't yet found a Vampire Gaze, Skullder's, or Oculus. I've found 121 out of the 129 exceptional unique items for my grail, yet two of the most useful items in the game are in the eight I still need, along with Oculus. Go figure.

EDIT: Oh, and about the merc choice...I took Holy Freeze for the build itself. Made the most sense for a Meteorb. That's for questing and everything. Does HF work on any bosses/superuniques? Maybe now that I've matted her, I can ditch HF and get defiance since I'll just be MFing and not questing.

18. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Try to get to 105 fcr and spam fireballs between meteors. That should speed up your killing time significantly.

19. Broncobiv2

O.K. I did some more testing today between upped-eth Kelpie and Reaper's Toll. The Kelpie certainly doesn't do to Meph what it does to Baal (turn him into a giggling puppy). He still attacks very fast and hits hard of course. So it seems to me that Reaper's is better, at least when Decrepify triggers. Hrus said that slow against Meph is capped at 50% from items. So Kelpie should slow him 50%. But Decrepify also slows by 50%, and lowers physical resistance by 50%, AND lowers physical damage output by 50% (seems like the real key...his physical damage destroys mercs).

Therefore, after everything, I'm sticking with my original setup of Shaft (DR%), Rockstopper (DR%/resists), and Reaper's (Decrep). I will probably switch Vamp Gaze in for Rockstopper for more DR% once I find one, assuming my merc's natural 56% resist all is good enough and I don't need to pump fire, light, and cold to 75% with Rockstopper.

Oh, and another thing that definitely helped was zerth's advice about tossing in fireballs between meteors. The meteor, FB, FB, meteor, FB, FB technique shaves off a good chunk of time and doesn't hurt since there's a casting delay for meteor anyway.

20. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Tank him yourself by getting between Meph and your merc.

That's what I always did with my Tals meteorb. Meph can still hurt you but you only really need to worry if he gets a critical hit in, that usually took half my life otherwise I could generally tank him without needing a potion.