Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meph and MF. how much is enough?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by UserMathias, Mar 22, 2004.

1. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Meph and MF. how much is enough?

I've been doing Mephisto runs at 540-something, and its been at the cost of some killing speed (2*nagel30 instead of 2*soj, mf charms instead of cold skillers).

And the other day I was at my friends place and he was Mephrunning, amongst many things, i also checked his mf, he had around 220 (!), and the amount of uniques and sets that dropped for him was pretty much the same as mine. (quite a good drop too, after 3 runs got a shaft :drink: ).

So my question is, how much mf is ideal for mephrunning? According to the diminishing returns formula, 540 is 60% more for uniqs than 220. Do these numbers change for meph? Or does he have a different drop system?

Thx in advance

2. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

try with no mf, you almost see same uniqs drop.. its just luck

3. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

More MF is always theoretically better, but if as you say it is at the cost of your killing speed, you will need to do some testing to see if all the extra MF is worth carrying.

You might want to lose a nagel in favour of a soj? Or a few charms in favour of a cold skiller and see how it goes. If its affecting your killing efficiency then I think you should lose some MF.

4. shidenx

shidenx IncGamers Member

Been running meph with 400+ and 500+ mf and i see no difference in drop rates. One min i get a shako and a ss in one drop, then next Gold and arrows only. :scratch:

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

If you want some actual numbers instead of anecdotal stories...

With x MF, you will see uniques drop (7x + 500)/(2x + 500) times as often as with 0 MF. Some example numbers for those without a calculator:

MF number of uniques
    0 1
    100 1.71
    200 2.11
    300 2.36
    400 2.54
    500 2.67
    600 2.76
    700 2.84

What do these numbers mean? Well, time your run at a few different MF levels - you want to have the biggest possible value of the number above for that MF, divided by your time for that MF - that will give you your optimum MF level for uniques.

It won't be the same for every character.

6. Kdawg

Kdawg IncGamers Member

After 300 it is not worth going for more and sacrificing killing time. If you look at the table thrugg posted, from 300-400 there is not much of a difference and after that it increases even less. I run a sorc with 305. Just made her last week and from the time i've started to run to today I have found the following notable items:

Vipermagi,eth Gaze,Trang Shield,Ravenfrost,Bartucs,eth suicide branch,Tal Orb,Frostburns x2,MAL RUNE,Steel Carapace,WolfHowl,sacrens chance,MarrowWalk.IK maul x2,Hellslayer,Rare 4ml 5ll ring,Laying of Hands,Cold Facet,ik helm,Windhammer,BoneHew,Soul Drainer 6ml/7ll,2 skill valk wing,Nosferatu's,ik gaunts x2,humonculous.

I can average around 1-2 min runs. So by only using 305mf I get faster runs at decent chances of dropping well. Judge for yourself.

7. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

i do runs with 93 (enigma with mf on lvl) and wts 36

Last few days i got:
    Tal armor, aldurs armor, tiara, LO, mal, um, ist, lem, shako, eth shako.
    Most stuff drops when i least expect it, like tal armor from just normal monster in a4, LO from tower in a1. A week ago found LO in a5 by minions

8. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I agree, I have an Hammerdin with 300-350 mf and found most of the new unique but the rarest one. Like you said killing efficiency is as much if not more important than pure high % mf. I think it's an imporant difference between 1.09 and 1.10 patches. In 1.09 you could easily overlook resistance and decent hp to increase and reach indecent % mf. From my experience, it's not something I would do in this patch.