Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Memorial Day, and a few words

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CyberHawk, May 29, 2005.

1. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

Memorial Day, and a few words

I know its a day early, but I wanted to go ahead and post a few words just in case I didn't get the chance tomorrow.
    Heres something that I found that I liked, and wanted to share. Couldn't find an authors name..just a website that is came off of.

“Greater love hath no man, than this, that a man may lay down his life for his friends.â€
    - John 15:13

There are all kinds of heroes. There are firefighters and police officers, oncology nurses and schoolteachers, and they should all have their own day of recognition, but it is not this day. Today we remember that all that we have, our freedoms, our lives, this wonderful country which was brought forth in sacrifice and renewed in toil and trial we owe to such as who would, if we ask them, spend their lives in its defense. We must honor and remember them. And we must also those they fought beside – by whose side they breathed their last and for whom they fought and died, in surrogate for the countrymen that sent them there. We must never, in a fit of pique or passion, allow those words to escape our lips that, “I support our troops, but…â€

There was no “but†in their faith with us. No escape clauses, no qualifications.

A somber occasion then, this Memorial Day, but also a sadly joyous one. For if we must regret the bitterness and pain of sacrifice, we must celebrate the fact that there are those who love us enough, and trust us enough, and what we stand for, that they would lay down their lives for us. We must earn this.

We must earn this by remembering them and honoring their sacrifice.

We must earn this by keeping faith with their brothers and sisters who return from the fight, the broken and the whole.

We must earn this by keeping in our hearts their loved ones, for whom no Memorial Day celebration will ever be required to invoke their memories or sufficient to fill the holes left in their lives.

We must earn this.

And I’ll close now with two thoughts, if I may. First these words of remembrance, from a poem by Laurence Binyon:

They shall not grow old as we that are left behind grow old
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    In the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

And finally with an abbreviated prayer, a soldier’s kind of prayer – there are some, both here at home, and overseas, who wince to hear Americans say or write, “God Bless America.†Why should God only bless America, they ask? They misunderstand, perhaps intentionally – we do not make a statement so much as offer up a prayer, a request, our fervent hope. And in the same words, with admirable brevity, we also acknowledge and offer up thanksgiving that God has already blessed us, in the abundant goodness of this land, and of the people the land has given birth to and those who have made a home here. And lastly but by no means leastly, we offer thanks for those who have fought and died to keep us free.

And so in thanks and hope, I pray: “God bless America.â€

Thanks for reading...and have a good day, for them, on this Memorial Day. ;)

2. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Good post, GuildMaster.

The whole idea is that they sacrificed for whatever personal reason they saw fit. At this point it doesn't matter what that was, and it certainly doesn't matter whether the reason was justified by those they were protecting.

Enjoy your day tomorrow, folks. If you can't see any further than your own hides, at least you (probably, if you're American) got a day off because of these fellows.

3. bigD72

bigD72 Diabloii.Net Member

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

And the citizens of America should thank those patriots.

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

In memory of what?

5. bigD72

bigD72 Diabloii.Net Member

An American holiday to remember the soldiers and patriots who have fallen defending America and its freedoms.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Oh yeah they did a good job keeping those english away.

7. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

I use Memorial Day to cherish both my parents and lay flowers at their graves.

Honor your mother and father everyone, for someday, they will be gone ...and you will miss them. :(

Cya,

Llad

8. CyberHawk

Very true.

I usually visit the graveyard that sits behind my house a field length away. Lots of flags, and lots of stories. I read there decorations and think about thier familys and such. I always remember my grandpa from Michigan who served in the Marines during WWII in the Pacific. He served on Iwo-Jima, and was doing his job island hoppin' with the rest of the guys. Many died per island..he didnt talk about it much, but I wish he coulda stuck around longer to explain all the medals he recieved and maybe a few good ending stories..but oh well, thats how it usually goes...glad I got to see as much of him as I did tho.
    I hope they have some inspirational movies/shows on TV tomorrow for families of those left behind, and for people who think about them often.

9. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

so america was atacked ? huh ?

oh, and, u ll sure flame me for this, but what s so great about america nowadays that you thing it turned out good ?

10. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere Diabloii.Net Member

Think past the last 50 or so years, most wars were started with america being attacked somewhere or like the Revolutionary war or the war of 1812, was invaded.

Whether it turned out good or not is ilrelivent. The fact is that they died defending the Ideals of the Consitution, and we respect them for their sacrifice.

11. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

America was attacked at Pearl Harbor. My father was a decorated veteran of World War II and was involved in very bitter fighting in Sicily, Italy, France and Germany. I have seen snapshots of him from the beginning to the end of that war. In three years of fighting ... he looked 15 years older. He was a Sgt. in the Army and was assigned as a forward observer for the artillery. His troops were overrun during the Battle of the Bulge and he barely escaped certain death. He was subsequently awarded a bronze star and declined a purple heart. To her dying day, my mother always believed that WW2 was a factor in his early death.

Ask around, I am one of the strongest opponents on this board of our current Iraqi war. But my dissent does not take away the sacrifice of our soldiers. My father and many many others fought bravely in the last great world war. Their graves along with the graves of other veterans are honored this weekend with individual flags in our cemetaries.

I saw them today.

They should not be forgotten.

12. plasmo

plasmo Diabloii.Net Member

Mainly that the poverty level of America is equal to the 95th percentile for world income.

And pretty much any person in any other country that deals with international trade has to learn English (although most foreigners I know learn British English, not American English, but that's quickly remedied in the real world).

And I don't have to pay to use public toilets.

Tons of others, but those 3 are the ones seem to be most applicable to my life.

Oh, and I'm glad for the war in Iraq because my father finally learned how to use a computer so he could email us. Whatever the reasons for going to war, hopefully the lives of the Iraqis will somehow be better in the long run.

"[O]ver 90 percent of all the states that have ever existed have been destroyed - and often their people with them - because they failed to have enough military power available at the critical moment." - Gwynne Dyer, War

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

*cough* Just to point out a couple of incorrect assumptions here... In the war of 1812 I believe the U.S. invaded British Canada first and America started the Revolutionary war, if it can even be conceded that America was a country yet. And in the past 50 years, America has been in more conflicts than any other nation but the majority of them have NOT begun with America being attacked.

14. Necrolestes

Necrolestes Diabloii.Net Member

Need a cough drop now...

*cough* Just a reminder: as early as 1807, the British and the French were impressing (read: capturing) American naval personnel (as well as American merchants) and it was actions like these that geared America up for war so in that instance, though America attacked Canada first, Britain attacked America before that.

But Anakha is right: no war (with the exception of Afghanistan) from 1950 to now was started by an act of aggression against America. That said, remember that American military personnel have no say where and when they are sent. They serve their country with dignity and honor (most of the time) and should still be accorded the respect that we give our WWII vets. Their sacrifices should not be in vain.

15. CyberHawk

You know this thread I made, I was kinda hoping it would be for the troops present and past. Not who fought who, who started what kinda deals.

So if ya'll want to start bickering..cant ya's just make yer own thread on which wars started when..and just let this one be for those who have earned this day we call Memorial Day? How hard is it to find or speak kind words about soldiers, and their families?
    Normally I wouldn't say anything..and let the thread grow in pages to see if it breaks a little record for my threads started..but this subject about our soldiers, esp those who never came home alive...well I just tend to expect common courtesy...from even those who dislike our country, and our ways.

Just asking.

16. Stevinator

Stevinator Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not religous, but I have to say amen. I don't care what you cranky dissidents say, America is a great country founded on a great ideal. that ideal has created enormous prosperity for american citizens, including myself and for that I am immeasureably grateful. Here's the the boys and men that defended liberty, freedom and the american ideal.

*tips beer for the fallen*

tomorrow I will drink and be merry, but in the back of my mind I will know that that cookout was not possible without the blood of patriots. I know it means little, as I'm one little voice amoung many, but thanks.

17. axeil

axeil Diabloii.Net Member

Can't complain with honoring heroes. They made the ultimate sacrifice and should be remembered for that. Who cares if you don't agree with the ideals of the war they were fighting, they still died. A dead WWII soldier is no better or worse than a soldier that just died in a terrorist attack last week.

God bless the fallen.

18. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Come on, Cyber. This is the D2 OTF forum you're vainly trying to spank, here. Some of these people are the same ones who, instead of honoring someone's life and respecting their passing, will argue at a funeral over who gets the silverware and who caused what strife in the family.
    Good try, though.

19. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Hear, hear. I'd disagree with Mixed on this one; there's no reason <some> threads can't be kept clean.

Praise God, none of my friends or co-workers have died in the current conflict. IF someone wants to be stupid enough to start quibbling in a different thread, they can stick this fact in something and smoke it: our death toll in the current "War on Terror" is remarkably low in comparison to our previous conflicts, and even Vietnam was relatively light. WW1, 2, and Korea saw American bloodletting on a massive scale, and it was neither for direct national gain nor in territorial or internal conflict. So if someone wants to malign our sacrifices, keep in mind that Japan, Germany, China, or Russia would have been sitting on your head by now if it weren't for our kids' lives.

I'll tone it down now, but I just watched my TiVo'ed "Mail Call" about Iwo Jima and my blood is a bit up.

20. CyberHawk

Ya my grandpa fought there..he rememberd seeing the flag being rose up in the middle of battle..he said most on the island could see up at that point. The flag was actually rose up at two different point I believe..once before and then during. True hero's our guys are..as are any that fight for their country..no matter what land on this great planet they live on.

And as the rain never came today..we've been at the park playing some baseball with the kids, and enjoying watching them have fun...man it was a nice breeze there in the shade....its a great day. :)