Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meleemancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by hermit_boy, Apr 8, 2004.

1. hermit_boy

hermit_boy IncGamers Member

Meleemancer

Has anyone here built or have seen built a 1.10 Meleemancer that has a chance to make Patriarch?

I was thinking Bone armor with all the synergies, plus 50% PDR, maybe a shield with max block and defiance merc. Probably use a good golem and revives as meat sheilds.

2. hearshot03.

hearshot03. IncGamers Member

I have built a 1.10 Meleemancer, but I deleted it at level 21. I also want to try to build once because it sounds like it will be fun. I kinda messed up on some skills so i thought I'd postpone my project. I hope someone can give you some information because im very interested in this topic.
    thanks,
    hearshot

3. slowpoke

slowpoke IncGamers Member

MonoJerry wrote an excellent set of articles about Maldar the Pacifist Hero, and in the articles he discussed the melee necro (that was how he got through norm and NM).

I don't know how to post links, but go to the main page of this site, look under resources to the left, click on columnists, and the articles are on the 2nd page.

(It is also a fun story to read!)

4. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

Meleemancers are quite viable in 1.10, but takes a bit of patience and skill.

I'm currently hacking my way through NM with my own and while the going is slow, it's still a lot more fun then your average cookie-cutter! :thumbsup:

Your main problems will be killing speed, hitting things and not getting swarmed, but as always there's solutions for those problems. The most effective way off increasing your killing speed is probably to use a fast attack with CB, DS and OW, and for that the "Passion"-runeword is ideal, as it grants you the use of Zeal:

"Passion"
    4 Socket Weapons
    Runes: Dol + Ort + Eld + Lem
    +25% Increased Attack Speed
    +160-210% Enhanced Damage
    50-80% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)
    +75% Damage To Undead
    +50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
    Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
    +1 To Berserk
    +1 To Zeal
    Hit Blinds Target +10
    Hit Causes Monster To Flee 25%
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters
    Level 3 Heart of Wolverine (12 Charges)

Besides Zeal there's quite a few other usefull mods and unlike most of the new runewords it's not that hard to make as the highest rune you'll need is Lem! :thumbsup:

Zeal IAS for a Necromancer is as follows:

Zeal IAS Breakpoints Table of "Passion" 1H-Weapons
    (You need listed IAS other than the 25% inherit IAS of Passion)

Base Frame=9 (Dru, Nec, Sor)

1H-weapon[-30]
    -----------
    0%____6(max)

1H-weapon[-10]
    -----------
    0%____7
    35%___6(max)

1H-weapon[0]
    -----------
    0%____8
    15%___7
    61%___6(max)

1H-weapon[10]
    -----------
    0%____9
    4%____8
    33%___7
    95%___6(max)

1H-weapon[20]
    -----------
    0%____9
    21%___8
    58%___7
    143%__6(max)

[-30]
    Phase Blade
    [-10]
    Military Pick/Crowbill/War Spike
    Flail/Knout/Scourge
    War Scepter/Divine Scepter/Caduceus
    Long Sword/Rune Sword/Cryptic Sword
    [0]
    War Axe/Naga/Berserker Axe
    Crystal Sword/Dimensional Blade
    Broad Sword/Battle Sword/Conquest Sword
    [10]
    Axe/Cleaver/Small Crescent
    Double Axe/Twin Axe/Ettin Axe
    [20]
    War Hammer/Battle Hammer/Legendary Mallet

Use this with CB, DS and OW gear such as Guillaume's Face (set winged helm) and Gore Riders and you should deal out reasonable damage.

There's other alternatives of course, a nice Unique or high-end runeword will work also, but for sheer cost-effectiveness nothing beats Passion IMO. A 2-handed weapon is feasible if you're maxing Bone Armor and it's synergies, but resists will be an issue without a shield.

To hurt monsters you'll need to hit them first and that brings us to the Meleemancers second weakness: Attack rating.

On paper Necromancers have no skill that'll increase your AR with any weapon besides a dagger, but there's ways around that to: Increasing you Dexterity is the most obvious and of course very helpfull, but not enough on it's own. Passion gives you a nice bonus to your AR and that's another reason to use it, but if you decide to go with something else you can always "abuse" the Poison Dagger bug.

PD gives a healthy bonus to your AR and is bugged so that you'll get that bonus even if you're not using a dagger. You won't get any poison damage of course without a dagger, but the AR bonus alone is usefull enough for a Meleemancer to consider maxing that skill. You won't be able to do this with a "Passion" weapon though as you'll be using Zeal to attack, so decide on a weapon of choice before commiting to PD.

Last but not least there's the Angelic ammy+ring combo, which grants you a nice AR bonus / Clvl, this is almost a must for any char with an AR problem and used by most, if not all, succesfull Meleemancers.

Finally there's the slight problem of not being killed yourself and this is where the Necromancer shines compared to other classes, at least if you use him right!
    Bone Armor is a great way to avoid damage from physical attacks, you've got a Merc+Golem+Skeletons/Revives to tank for you if desired, but most of all you've got your curses!
    Decrepify will slow monsters 50%, make them attack 50% slower, decrease their damage 50% (in effect this is the same as wearing 50% PDR gear!) and on top of that it'll increase your damage by 50%! Terror is superb for scattering a group when your about to get swarmed, Dim Vision will take care of those pesky archers at the back pelting you with arrows and Attract will keep the group occupied while you chip away at them.

Remember that AI-curses will have their durations cut down by 3/4 in Hell, so be prepared to put quite a few skillpoints in Dim Vision and Attract, Terror is the exception as 1 point will usually do the trick. Decrepify will be your most used skill, so I strongly suggest maxing it.

Golems have been nerfed a bit in 1.10, so I'd suggest you only spend 1-5 points in Clay Golem and only 1 in Golem Mastery and Summon Resist. The Clay Golem has a very usefull slowing attack but you'll want to be able to reposition it at any time, so more points is a waste IMO.

As for a Mercenary I'd suggest a Holy Freeze Merc. Might/Defiance/Blessed Aim all have their strenghts, but Holy Freeze with Decrepify will slow your enemies to a halt, thus allowing you more time to make decisions on how to handle them, not to mention that slower monsters equals fewer swings aimed at you and you helpers, thus probably increasing your survivability even more then the Defiance Merc.

I hope this information helped out a little, if you've got more questions I'd suggest you PM Mad Mantis over at the Necromancer Forum, as he's probably the biggest expert on Meleemancers on these forums. He's in the process of making a guide on how to succesfully take an untwinked Meleemancer to Guardian status (yupp, Guardian as in Hardcore... :uhhuh: ) so any questions you'll have I'm sure he can answer...

Regards
    // Hozze

5. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Another option may be Kingslayer if you can afford it. It gives you Vengeance which will go nicely with a good Lower Resist. The only problem with Lower Resist is that the radium increases with level, thus overriding your crowd control curses (Dim Vision most notibly).

6. hermit_boy

hermit_boy IncGamers Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, especially you Hozze. I just barely got back into D2 and do not have much experience with 1.10 so I will put the Meleemancer on hold for a bit, but that is definately a class I want to try out.

Passion Runeword sounds sweet for this build!

7. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

"Kingslayer" is indeed a nice choice, perhaps even more for the other mods besides Vengeance.

A pure Meleemancer basicly has 2 ways of dealing damage.

1. Fast attack relying on CB, OW and to a lesser extent DS.
    2. Getting as much physical damage out if each swing as possible, preferably with a 2-handed weapon... although CB, OW and DS certainly helps here too.

"Kingslayer" in a 2-handed weapon would be sweet for the second approach.

I doubt Vengeance + LR will be as effective, especially with LR cancelling out your AI-curses and Decrepify, which are key for keeping you and your Merc alive.

I should point out that "Passion" isn't without it's faults either though, the "Hit Blinds Target" mod works the same way as DV and will override your Decrepify, hence your dependency on CB and OW for damage.