Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meleemancer questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Hozze, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

Meleemancer questions

Hey everybody, I've got a few Meleemancer related questions for you...

I'm quite new to 1.10 as I've spent most of my D2 time on V&K's Middle Earth mod, but about a month ago I decided to give the new patch a chance and I have to say I like it a lot, the FE bug and Gloams aside. (I'm a SP btw...) I've always enjoyed the Necro and my favourite char back when I played 1.09 was the Meleemancer, so now I'm quite eager to try one in 1.10!

I've read through the FAQ, the encyclopedia and done a search for Meleemancer threads and I've picked up a lot of usefull info. My initial idea was to do a Melee/Summoner hybrid but after rethinking things I've decided not to use skellies. I think I'll have a hard time keeping up with their killing-speed and that'll defeat the point of a Meleemancer IMO ( Nice guide though Kbob :thumbsup: ). I've got a rough idea of how to distribute my skill points, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on a few other points.

First of all I'm wondering about the viability of a 2-handed Meleemancer.
    My 1.09 Meleemancer used a Cruel Giant Thresher for that special "Grim Reaper" look and I think I'd like to try a 2-handed char this time around also, but I'm not so sure they're doable all the way through Hell.

I was thinking about using a Maul type weapon as that will enable me to pump Vit as much as possible as Dex won't be an issue when choosing a weapon. I'd also invest heavily in BA and it's synergies and I was hoping that would make up for not using a shield. I am however aware of the glaring problem with this approach: I won't be hitting anything with such a low AR. I was planning to make up for it with maxed PD and the Angelic set ammy/ring combo. I'm not sure if even this will be enough though, so I'd like your input on the matter. I'd most likely be using a IK Maul as my weapon. I could perhaps scrape the runes together for a Kingslayer or Passion runeword if those would be better alternatives.

Now, lets say that the low dexterity approach is a complete failure and that I'll put quite a few points into Dex. This would give me a lot more choices as far as weapons go and improve my AR, but perhaps decrease my HP's by quite a lot. Do you think this approach would be doable or will the lack of life make me too fragile for Hell? If the 2-handed approach is doomed I guess a 1-handed weapon with a shield would be fun too and probably easier, even though I won't be dealing as much damage. AR won't be as much of an issue either as I'll have to get enough Dex for max block anyway.

Skill point distribution would look something like this for both the 1 and 2-handed builds:

Summoning:
    1-5 Clay Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist

P & B:
    20 Poison Dagger
    1-20 Bone Armor
    1-20 Bone Wall
    0-20 Bone Prison
    (These are all dependent on wheather or not I'll use Marrowwalk, not sure I want to as I'll be exploiting a bug, or is it a feature? How strong my BA needs to be will probably also depend on wheather I use a shield or not.)

Curses:
    1 in everything except Lower Resists.
    Dim Vision/Terror, Attract and Decrepify will be added to as needed.

I was thinking perhaps Terror would work nicely instead of Dim Vision? Both skills will be used on ranged attackers mostly, but terror could also be very usefull for when you get cornered by melee attackers. I'd like some input on this also by those who know. :thumbsup:

Now, all I need is a Merc... Might/Holy Freeze/Defiance? All have their strong points, so what do you recommend?

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas are most appreciated!

Thank you in advance

// Hozze

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

They are viable. As long as you use your curses and you have a strong BA. Just don't expect the killing speed of other builds.

Mauls are too slow. Personally I found that anything slower than an initial speed of 19-frames is a waste. And that is on the slow end. With Angelic and a little bit of +AR charms you can an acceptable hit ratio. Just pump your Dex a bit. The few points you do take away from Vit won't hurt you that much.

I would max Decrep. It will be your most used curse. Also DV should have a large radius and a duration suitable for Hell. Those two curses will be used constantly. Scrape some points of PDagger and BA if you have to. Terror is a good curse and can really help you to manage crowds, but it is a one point wonder. The small radius and duration are what makes it so good for crowd control.

BA needs a fair amount of points, because you need to survive the lower levels. Then you need to pump the synergies.

For a Merc I would suggest the HF Merc. The aura makes it much easier to deal with crowds. Your biggest problem is survival. Defiance is nice if you are going for Max black. Might is a relatively good choice, but IMO inferior to HF. The extra damage is nice, but you loose an awful lot of protection.

3. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input MM, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

How's the guide coming along btw? I read you were working on a untwinked HC Meleemancer guide, that should make for an interesting read when it's done.

Yea, Mauls are a little on the slow side perhaps. I was thinking perhaps a Ribcracker would work nicely though? I know Stalagmites has a 22-frame base speed, but if I Shael it I'd only need 25% extra IAS to reach 13 fps, which shouldn't be that hard to achieve. It's low on requirements for Str and Dex also, which suits me fine. I might still go the 1-handed way though, not sure yet, so I'll think it through some more...

4. Mad Mantis

It is coming along nicely. The biggest time consumer is getting him through Hell. I do not have a lot of time on my hands. :(

Ribcracker is very nice. Try to upgrade it. There are better options out there, but for now a Ribcracker is very nice.

5. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

I've thought it through and I've decided to go the 1-handed route after all. I think it'll be challanging enough anyway and a shield will allow me to remove points from BA so that I can invest more in DV/Attract/Decrepify and I'll also have an easier time maxing my resists this way. Not sure what weapon to use though, but I know I've got the runes for a "Passion" or "Crescent Moon" runeword if nothing better comes along. Thanks for the input MM, hopefully I'll be able to post a "I've made a Patriarch Meleemancer" thread in a month or so... :uhhuh:

6. Mad Mantis

Maybe a month could be doable. Things are starting to pick up now. There are two things keeping me from finishing the guide: university and low damage.

7. eidotekili

eidotekili IncGamers Member

Ive been making a meleemancer myself and so far hes been doing nicely in act 3 nm. The way ive been playing him is too cast attract and then amp, then me and my might merc just hack away. I cast decrep mostly on boss packs and unique monsters. This has been working ok for me so far. My question for you guys is, isnt Grim's Burning Dead a good weapon for a melee nec? It has some cool mods like -50% target def and +3 skills. The range on it is nice too so you dont have to get so close to the monsters, and i was thinking an upgraded one would be good for some extra damage. what do you guys think? I've been using one and its been good so far. or is there better stuff to use?

Mad Mantis, what does your nec use?

8. Mad Mantis

Grim's will be good for now. Ideally your weapon has CB, OW and DS. Then there are other mods like ITD, IAS and AR that you will want to look for.

I am playing untwinked (but will include a twink section) and my Necro is using a Malice Bec-de-Corbin. Not ideal I know, but Malice works nicely and I can't afford anything else right now.

9. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

Well, I figured I'd do a short statusreport in the event anyone gives a crap. :uhhuh:

Just finished act 2 NM, lvl 57 and so far things are going well, no deaths and playing on /players 8.

However, at reaching lvl 57 I was able to equip my "Passion" Scourge and I have to say I'm a little perplexed. While I was aware that the "Hit Blinds Target" mod could be a slight nuisance I didn't realise the thing would be set off by every single hit! Needless to say it's a bit irritating to have your Decrepify overridden every time you're hitting something... I'm seriously contemplating going with a 2-handed weapon and saving the Scourge for those monsters that aren't affected by AI-curses. It works brilliantly for those though and Duriels quick demise no doubt can be attributed to it.

Anyways, on to Act 3... :thumbsup:

10. Mad Mantis

How about a Cresent Moon weapon?

11. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

A possibility no doubt, but as a no-trading single player I'm not so sure I want to use my only UM on it...

I'll have to give it some thought first I guess, so we'll see...

12. Mad Mantis

Yeah UM's are pretty rare. You need to farm the Countess.

13. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

Sooo boring... Besides, with my luck I'll never get an UM from her anyway.

Nah, I've decided to save the UM for something else instead. I'm kind of thinking about making a "Stone" armour, or possible a "Kingslayer" weapon if I somehow can get a GUL from the Hellforge.

I'll go with the Scourge and a Ribcracker for now, I might upgrade it but I'll probably switch to a IK Maul once I get to lvl 76. The maul may have a slow base speed, but with the other gear I've got planned (Laying of Hands = 20%IAS, 15IAS/8%LR jewel in the helm) I'll only need a SHAEL to reach 13FPA, which btw is the same speed as a "Crescent Moon" Feral Axe with the same gear. The additional 35% IAS will also make me reach max Zeal speed with the Scourge.

The maul will give me excellent damage in a tight range with CB and I'll even have an open socket to play with. Besides, a maul looks cool on a Necro... :uhhuh: