Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee Sorc gear - I need advice!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Norrit, May 24, 2008.

1. Norrit

Norrit IncGamers Member

Melee Sorc gear - I need advice!

After reading every possible guide, everyone seems to agree that it's not possible to acheive the desired IAS/FCR breakpoints (meaning you must choose one or the other). FCR will be important because of teleport, and IAS obviously because well, it's a melee sorc. I've come up with this gear for my sorc:

Helm: Dream (Diadem)
    Ammy: The Cat's Eye - 20% IAS
    Armor: Up'd Skin of the Vipermagi (socketed with 15 IAS jewel) - 30% FCR / 15% IAS
    Weapon: Passion (Phase Blade)
    Shield: Up'd Lidless Wall (socketed with 15 IAS jewel) - 20% FCR / 15% IAS
    Glove: Laying of Hands - 20% IAS
    Rings: Ravenfrost / Stone of Jordan
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh - 20% FCR
    Boots: Marrowalk
    Charms: Anni, Sorc Torch, FHR/life charms

Total IAS: 70%
    Total FCR: 70%
    Total + to all skills: 5 (meaning level 6 zeal, lvl 7 after BO)

my question is, is that gear good enough? Obviously i'll aim for 15 IAS/15 resists jewels (in order to help for max resists in hell), but I wonder if the char will play good enough with just one dream (no shield), but with this setup I did seem to have reached decent breakpoints for both FCR and IAS. Does not wearing the dream shield/fortitude cripple the char that much?

2. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Re: Melee Sorc gear - I need advice!

Describe good enough? If you click this, you'll see/read that you can complete the game (done in SP) and become a Matriarch with a lot "worse" gear.

3. Alzakarr

Alzakarr IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure that if you make passion in a phase blade (or cutlass) you will hit max zeal speed with 40% off-weapon IAS. You will also hit your max "regular" attack of 10 frames with 8%. So you already have WAY too much and could drop 2 jewels. Also, uppe lidless isn't so hot as you don't get better blocking form it. Going dream shield and griffon's eye instead would give you all the same benefits as well as increasing your damage by a quite a bit.

As it stands, you have 9 frame FCR which should be enough to let you teleport your way out of trouble. You need 105% to get the next breakpoint which probably requires too much gear sacrifice and doesn't give you much benefit as you don't cast much anyways.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

4. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Shouldn't you get dual dreams, for a massive level 30 holy shock? That coupled with maxed lightning mastery should be lethal.

5. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Also, hand of justice isn't bad either if you can sacrifice the zeal. -20 enemy fire resistance, a synergized holy fire aura and ctc a synergized hydra can help.

6. Norrit

Norrit IncGamers Member

thats the question I keep asking myself. do I really NEED the dual dream? 1x dream with maxed lite mastery would be a waste?

Is it a good idea to ditch zeal completely in favor of the holy fire aura? I'm thinking that the attack speed will be too damn low with only my normal attack. Zeal is fast (faster than the normal attack, that is) and can deal with crowds (especially important against tough guys like those on baal runs)

7. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Are you playing yet with sorc, or just planning? Got good enchant to backup dream damage?

I am leveling my dream sorc, no dream yet, so can't answer your Q. Actually never tested dream . But melee sorcs can clear full games just fine even without it, so one could be just fine, two could be overkill, but fun.

Over 10k average melee damage is not slow even with 9/10 fpa, so it kills just fine. How to survive and kill double-immunes, those are problems for melee sorcs. Keep other weapon in stash, when zeal is not best option.

Or that forty Q I can answer, helps against fire immunes (after dream, no anymore this problem). Forty gives my sorc around 700 more psysical damage, so it helps while doing full game travincal. And with arach, its 45fcr, much easier to move around.

I can solo hell baalrun just fine. I went pure damage route, those dream/dreams are just icing the cake. I need to tank lister with sorc (using rogue merc), so little speed bump from dream is more than welcome.

I need good damage/crushing blow from weapon so no zeal for me. Those mana burners are so annoying for zeal sorc. And mana I use for tele and more items options, as +4 skills not needed. And that flee, its helping but annoying too.
    You are standing whole zeal (around 1s) sequence at still, with other weapon you can tele safe much faster.

I like tele kill, tele kill, and pickup just hardest bosses first. With zeal those minions take some attacks too, so actually you kill slower those hard ones.
    But only real problem are near manaburners, as it stop zeal complety so can't kill or tele. But it does most damage in good conditions and with good merc its safe too.

For speed, I went with faith rogue merc, those skeletons are everywhere when rogue shoots 9fpa (about 4.5k damage after enchant).
    I need 24ias for 9fpa and at switch perfect upped kuko, there 60ias gives 9fpa. Using Highlords+LoH at the moment, to get max speed for both attacks.
    Merc nees 35 ias for max speed, so I give threachery for her. That good poison damage helps against those double immunes. But mainly for speed.

Main reason for act1 merc (act2 is best for melee sorc) is chaos or plan to clear that. Worst place for melee chars, but ... I like the challenge. Trying to make build to clear chaos/dia. As it has always been big NO NO, for all my melee sorcs. After dream(s) I will try with some low lvl weapon.