Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee sorc:crazy/beautiful :)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by bluedragoon, May 9, 2005.

1. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

Melee sorc:crazy/beautiful :)

Hi, i was getting a bit bored of my lightning and blizzard sorc and wanted to make a new char. I saw the enormous power of ES with my lightning sorc, combined with insight its truly terrific, and only at lvl one ! Now i want to make an ES sorc, with 20 ES and TK. For the other points, i read that Orb is nice, but i wanted to melee :)(im crazy meleeing sorc :), so i was thinking of using enchant. Is it viable, and if so what equipment is recommended :). Or maybe use kingslayer runeword, with maxed masterys. Plz tell me what u guys think is best, The kingslayer, The enchantress or none and i should go with FO. thnx in advance, and ps im not uber rich, but already have 4 light skillers :)

2. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

Melee sorcs are definitely great, and really fun. They are certainly a change of pace from the normal "teleport, shoot, teleport" thing most sorcs have to do.

I've heard of some melee sorcs using Frozen Orb as an attack, but I'm not sure of the effectiveness. However, since you want to max out both ES and Telekinesis, I don't think I can recommend Frozen Orb because of the heavy 6 point prerequisite. Instead, work on making Enchant more effective.

Kingslayer is another popular and effective Melee sorc idea, and in order to make that work, all masteries and Enchant are usually be maxed, thus not leaving enough points to max both ES and Telekinesis.

3. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

yeah 100 points in skills is a bit mych yes :) and ur opinion about the kingslayer ?

4. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

ES Enchantress can work. The only problem is that it uses up all your points, so you can't boost masteries much for extra elemental damage. If you're going with ES Enchantress you probably just want to deliver the damage as fast as possible, in which case you might want a phase blade (Lightsabre, rare, or just stuffed to the hilt with Shaels).

If you want to try Kingslayer Enchantress, here's my planned endgame gear. Some of this stuff will be of use to an ES Enchantress too.

Kingslayer Champion Axe
    Leaf staff or CtA on switch (undecided)
    Rockstopper (with um or resist jewel)
    Chains of Honour Archon
    Magefist
    Arachnid's Mesh
    Gorerider/rare with FRW + resists
    Highlord's Wrath
    Ravenfrost
    Rare ring: res all + leech

For Kingslayer weapons, it's hard to go past a 2H axe with the sorc, specifically a Champion or Silver Edged axe. She's so quick with them, and most importantly it looks cool. If you're set on going one handed, you'll want it in a Cryptic Sword, with Stormshield, upped Viscerataunt, Moser's or Wistan's for a shield (or Dream if on ladder). Rockstopper, Vampiregaze, Tal's mask, Harlequin's Crest and maybe Kira's Guardian all make for nice helms. There's also Dream, if you're on ladder and want ridiculous damage. I can't think of anything better than Chains of Honour for armour. Upped Vipermagi and Naj's Light Plate make tolerable substitutes. Magefist for fire skill and FCR. You can use a 20% IAS glove if you feel the need. Arachnid mesh for +skill and FCR. I can't remember what the breakpoint was, but I wanted some more FCR so I can teleport around a bit. Use String of Ears if you're not interested in FCR. Goreriders, adds a bit more to CB and OW. Not much else you can do for boots. Highlords for a bit of IAS, you can substitute for Mara's, Tal's or some godly rare. Ravenfrost is pretty much compulsory if you have no CBF elsewhere. Use the last ring to fill whatever gaps you have.
    Burning and shimmering charms are a good thing too.

In short, you want gear that has:
    +skills- this gives you big damage
    resists- because without them you die
    leech- ml to keep you swinging, ll to keep you from falling over screaming
    %DR- even a little bit helps
    CBF- you can't afford to be frozen
    FHR- if you can fit it in, it will save your life
    IAS- because you want to deal damage quickly
    FCR- for teleport, mostly
    AR/Dex- if you're a 2Her with minimum for your axe, your AR will probably suck even with Enchant, so you need as much AR and dex as you can manage. If worse comes to worse, you can get a Blessed Aim merc.

5. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

hahaha!!!

-As far as I can see, the biggest challenge with a melee sorc is not that she can't do dmg (fully synergized enchant can easily give 5k+ fire dmg to her bare hands), but that she can't reliably hit targets. Enchant gives huge AR boost, and if that's still not enough... let's double the worse ;-)

-Another big challenge is FHR. When target(s) can reliably hit her, she's in big trouble again. Sorc has the worst FHR of all classes. Even with 60% FHR, IIRC, she still can't compare with a barb.

-IMO an 1h wpn + a shield might be helpful if you don't want her to die often. She'll just rely more on fire than on wpn to do the dmg. But the wpn must be very, very fast.

-IMO ES can still work, since loss of mana due to ES is not fatal to this build. Her mana regen will be very fast, and even if mana is 100% gone, in a split of sec she should be able to get enough mana to tele away or keep attacking.