Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee Sorc Build

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Seymour_Fluxx, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Seymour_Fluxx

Seymour_Fluxx IncGamers Member

Melee Sorc Build

I really don't like sorceresses, I prefer my casters to be a Bone Mage or Hammerdin, but I would like something that could teleport (I miss my buddies MF sorc :()So I decided to start a Melee Sorc, but I need your help

Ok so here's the skills:

20 Enchant
    20 Warmth
    20 Energy Shield
    5-10 Static Field
    1-10 Shiver Armor
    20 Fire Mastery?
    5 Teleport

Ok so here are my questions. What is the syngery that Telekinisis gives Energy Shield? Does Fire Mastery boots Enchants Fire dmg? Also need advice on my cold armor and whether or nope I should pump a high static. Any advice on the skills are helpful. Here is my planned gear:

Lightsabre / Switch = Buriza
    Stormshield
    Shaftop
    Griswold's Helm Thingy
    String Of Ears
    Gore Riders
    Dracul's Grasp
    Raven Frost
    Dwarf Star
    Mara's/Sacaren's/Atma's/Highlords?

I think this leaves me kinda dry on the resistance side, but I do get lots of absorbe (25lit/20fire/40cold) at Clvl 80. Once again any advice is requested.

And a question on gear:What the difference between the & absorb and the just +Absorb? And what types of dmg does Energy Shield absorb?

I know there is a guide on this but first of all:relies on Anni(and following exact gear) It also makes you have to use Werebear and Oak Sage which I don't want, I'm not trying to make a druid, I want people to see a sorc running around killing things.

2. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Telekinesis is critical for an Energy Shield sorc. With no Telekinesis, your Energy Shield will take 2 mana points for every point of damage dealt, and even with a massive mana pool and max Warmth you can't support that level of mana loss. Every point in TK removes 1/16 of a point, so if you have level 16 you lose one mana for one damage. Level 20 gets better, because you only lose 3/4 mana for each point of damage.

Zarhrezz did an Energy Shield sorc who relied on huge amounts of lightning skillers to get ES up to level 42 or something, so he had 95% damage absorption; combined with maxed Telekinesis and some damage reduction items he could take a hit from pretty much anything without losing any life at all! Of course, Mana Burn bosses became a bit of an issue. You should be able to find his guide if you're interested in taking that route. If you DON'T take the ES and TK to the max then they could be more of a hindrance than a help, because you could lose all your mana in a critical situation and have none left to teleport to safety!

3. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

My melee sorc just took 8 player Hell Nihlathak at level 87...I'll give some input later, girlfriend wants attention now and then I get to cook =)

4. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

dude get enigma or tele ammy :)

(sry know nothing bout melesorcs)

5. Seymour_Fluxx

Seymour_Fluxx IncGamers Member

1.I don't believe in any other class Teleporting. The crossing of skills from class to class on gear is just.... stupid? Just hack a character that has every skill tree then. (My reason for not making a werebear sorc)

2.Charges suck :)

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

agreed, teleport chargessuck, hey cost 100,000,000 to repair and will ru out frequently.
    howevr, items liekenigma that provide teleport to all classe, i dont see whats wrng with that. i dont uderstand where you get the link to editing characters to give them everything. its a in-game item and blizz wouldnt put it there if they thought it was stupid. anyway, why would a sorc need +1 to teleporting? they can give it +1 to a skill and make it 1 of the best items in the game.

7. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Well first off, 5 points in Teleport is a waste. The only difference in the mana cost, and 4 less mana isn't going to mean crap when you have max warmth.

Second, just one point in Static Field and Shiver Armor. They aren't worth pumping no matter how useful Static Field appears to be. With my level 9 Static Field on my Sorc (1 +skills) there isn't much of a difference. Moreso considering you'll be in the fray with this Sorc anyway.

Fire mastery boosts enchant damage.

20,20,20,20,Rest Warmth/Enchant/Fire Mastery/Energy Shield/Telekenisis.
    1,1,1,1 Teleport/Shiver Armor/Static Field/Pre req's

sound good?

8. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

20 Enchant
    20 Warmth
    20 Fire Mastery
    This is where there's no room for tweaking...cut on this and you'll be losing big damage and that's just what this build is for.

20 Energy Shield is something that should only be considered for an Energy Shield sorc and melee combat is not an option there. So Energy Shield 20 is a big nono here. What I recommend is Telekinesis 20 and Memory runeword staff. That way you can cast a level 6 (+skills) Energy shield, 9 if you use a +3 ES staff for the Memory. This gives a significant reduction in damage taken at a manageble drain on mana.
    For more information on Energy Shield, I would advise a search through the Sorceress forum, there have been some really in-depth discussion on ES/TK there recently.

As stated by others before, more than 1 point in Teleport and Static Field aren't needed. Personally I advise just 1 point in the cold armor of your choice...Frozen Armor is where I put my 1 point.

Somewhat dependant on gear is the amount of points for Cold Mastery and Lightning Mastery. My Enchantress has 2 points in Cold Mastery and the rest in Lightning Mastery (11 at the moment I believe).

As to gear...for this build 50% PDR isn't required, though helpfull. Personally I have none. I'm an advocate for Guardian Angel in almost all melee builds, this one is definitely no exception. Block speed is vital in this build. You do not have the attack speed to get away with slow blocking even if you get to 10 frames per attack. Stormshield is a good option but it leaves alot to desire in the resist department...if you can compensate for that, by all means use Stormshield, if you cannot max your resists try to get a Sanctuary runeword shield. You should be prepared to take hits/fire when Energy Shield is down since it will happen, more than once. Therefore I suggest max resists over max PDR.
    Lightsabre is nice, but Kingslayer Phase Blade owns it...if you can afford Stormshield and Lightsaber it should be in your grasp. Vengeance with 20+ Fire Mastery, some Cold Mastery and some Lightning Mastery just owns.
    Boots...I use War Traveler to boost the Vengeance from Kingslayer...Gore Rider isn't a bad choice though.
    For headgear resists and skills are all good...other mods are great too, but +skills will boost damage more than most any mod can and if you lack in resistances, the headgear can help out a nice deal.
    String of Ears isn't a bad choice...together with Stormshield it'll cover the %PDR field nicely (note: you put Shaftstop on armor...ditch it, since %PDR is capped at 50% and between Stormshield and String of Ears you already have that...get a Guardian Angel I'd say). Personally I use Arachnid Mesh for the +1 skills and extra mana and I have a Thundergod's Vigor in stash for Gloam areas...no lightning absorb is death against Gloams even if you have 95% lightning resist.
    Amulet: Mara's, hands down. +2 skills and resists.
    Rings: Raven Frost is perfect (unless you use Kira's Guardian, then better options are available). +AR, CBF, +mana, cold absorb. I'm not so sure about Dwarf Star...I'd go with Stone of Jordan for the mana boost and +1 skills.
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp is the best you'll find for this kind of build. No competition here.

And now the GF really requires attention, so more information (if needed) later!

9. Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury IncGamers Member

In addition to what's been said previously about ES:
    Damage is applied; ES, DR/MDR by X, Magic/Physical Resists %. So Energy Shield is the first thing encountered and takes the full strength attack. Previously it was after the resists I believe, so it's a big difference.

Enchant give the damage listed in the skill tree at the time it was cast for missile weapons. And the cast time damage times the hit time Mastery for melee attacks. So with maxed mastery, a melee attack does about 4 times a missile attack. So load up on all the +skills gear you can and Enchant everyone up, then make a quick change into battle gear.

And also note that Masteries apply for all elemental melee attacks, so you'll want to put at least one point in Cold and Lightning Mastery. I think a modest 1+4 in Lightning mastery will double the lightning damage on your Lightsaber. So also keep in mind that other sources of elemental damage (charms, etc.) are extra effective for a melee Sorc with Masteries.

The basic build is max Enchant, Warmth and Mastery. One in Static, Teleport, Armor, Cold and Lightning Mastery. What you do beyond there depends if you're playing HC/SC and your preference for the character. I play HC, so I don't like the ES/T route. Many will disagree, but I like Static, and usually put 5 or 10 there. It's nice to be able to stay back and plink with you bow while the merc tanks,and still be able to static.

I'd dump the Burito for a bow with Exploding Arrow on it; Ravenclaw, Kuko, Demon Machine. The exploding arrow always hits, and the splash damage carries your Enchant and any other elemental damage. Makes for great crowd control. Look for a 2 socket (Leaf) or 4 socket (Memory) staff with +3 Enchant on it to make a runeworded Enchanting stick. Shop A2 normal and you can usually find one within a half hour. Godly would be +3 Enchant, Mastery, Warmth. Alternately you could get the perfect Orb; +3 Fire Skills, Enchant, Mastery and use a +1 shield. Add to this a +3 Fire skills Ammy and Circlet. Get your Enchanting kit as high level as possible. I hear that at L35 or so you'll be doing 16k damage melee, and it lasts almost 20 minutes.

I've never had a Stormshield, so maybe I don't know how good they are. But that's an awful lot of strength to invest. You don't need it for melee, your damage is the Enchant not the physical. Max blocking is essential, and you need to put everythingyou can in Vitality. So I find it very hard to divert that many points to strength. Base Energy.

I'm not that familiar with some of that high end gear you mentioned (and too lazy to look it up), but you need to have an additional 28 IAS to get your LS from a 12 to a 10 frame attack. That also will get your Kuko/Ravenclaw from 16 to 13 frames.

I have a Barb merc and I'm quite happy with him. Big and nasty and kills faster than the A2 guys. You might consider a BA merc though, if you're having AR problems. Or a Freezer if you prefer Klingon style and want to just wade into battle.

That's all I can think of right now. It'a a fun character, enjoy.

10. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Seems to be a bit of interest in melee sorc's/enchantresses at the moment. I took one through the game players 8 the whole way and it wasn't too difficult though killing did get a little slow by the end especially in area's with high concentrations of fire immunes (think Chaos Sanctuary).

I didn't use nrg shield so I can't help you there. I went a high def and more life route so used a cold armour(didn't max it) and defiance merc as well as waterwalks and bloodfists (100 extra life between them and lots of FHR on bloodfists). I also maxed lightning mastery to deal with fire immunes and used lightsabre which packs some lightning damage and ITD that fixed any attack rating problems apart from against bosses. If you use lightning mastery stick some lightning damage small charms in your pack.

Andarials visage is a good helm +2 to skills, IAS and venom to help deal with fire immunes. Mara's is probably the best amulet to go with unless you need the IAS from highlords to hit the last break point.

Also don't forget to prebuff enchant since it lasts 15-20 mins at high levels its not to annoying changing around your gear to do it and you can get a lot of extra fire damage doing it.

Good luck