Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"melee" poison necro build

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by tking716, Feb 6, 2004.

1. tking716

tking716 IncGamers Member

"melee" poison necro build

here is my plan:

20 poison dagger
    20 poison explosion
    20 poison nova
    a few in lower resist
    all of the one point wonders (bone armor, clay golem, other curses, etc.)

str- enough for gear, prolly not too much actually
    dex- 75% block with homunculus
    vit- the rest
    nrg- none

i would use blackbog's sharp as my weapon and i would poison dagger things while i nova'd them. does this work in hell? i think it might. i would nova then run around like a maniac and dagger each monster one at a time.

though what other equip should i use?

like, for armor, viperskin gives me +1 to skills and 34 res all (mine does anyway). OR shaftstop seems pretty good given that ill be in melee. OR guardian angel seems good for resists. etc. obviously, for boots i want speed, so i will prolly use sander's boots, my favs :)

any input would be helpful

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You'll want Trang-Oul's Wing, Trang-Oul's Claws and Trang-Oul's Girth for the -25% To Enemy Poison Resistances on the Wing. If you equip another piece you'll also get the +25 To Poison Skill Damage from the Claws. You might want to get a Bramble armor for the increased poison skill damage.

3. necro34

necro34 IncGamers Member

I'm in the midst of making one right now and its pretty tough from my experience. I'm only at lvl 30 and his attack speed is slow. The psn damage is great, but I find myself running a lot waiting for the psn effect to kill the monster. Once I gain more lvls, I'm sure this build will be viable. I just got psn nova, so thats helping me a bit.

4. Mad Mantis

Good luck to you.

5. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

If you go melee, I suggest fleshripper as your dagger. More phys dmg, and much more goodies on it.

~Kbob

6. tking716

ahhh, but fleshripper doesnt have +4 and +5 to my poison skills, which is where my damage is gonna come from.

i like the trang's idea, completely forgot about that somehow.

also, a few poison charms that last a short duration (like 3 seconds) should speed things up a bit.

as for bramble...i dunno, i like the idea of guardian angel's resists in hell, but i can try different ones

thanks for the help guys!!

7. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Why would poison charms with short duration help? I'm using several 50 damage over 6 secs and they work just fine to add extra damage for the dagger. According to my understanding of the Tao of Poison the more charms the better, each charm added increases the rate of poison damage and the duration is the average of all the poison sources... so the longer the poison lasts the more damage done.

8. tking716

when dealing poison dmg, you want to max dmg/sec

im not sure of the math specifics, but i remember that using charms with short duration can help with the overall dmg/sec

9. XLeper_MessiahX

XLeper_MessiahX IncGamers Member

I'm planning a VERY similar poisonnecro build, using Blackbog's also. I'm also planning to take advantage of the Marrowwalk bug for bone synergies. These are the stats I've worked up that I'm sure of:

1 Teeth (pre-req)
    5 Corpse Explosion
    20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Explosion
    20 Poison Nova
    1 Bone Armor
    1 Bone Wall
    5 Amp
    1 IM
    5 LT
    5 LR

This accounts for all skills until mid 70's. What other skills should I look into? What merc would you recommend? This is only my 2nd necro, and my first was literally my first Diablo 2 char over 2 years ago. Thanks for your help.

P.S.-I don't mean to disrupt an existing post, but I thought it would be better to group this with a similar post.

P.P.S.-Arreat's Summit shows the +25% PSD as a basic stat for Trang's Claws, no other items necessary.

10. Mad Mantis

Putting one point in Clay and 1 in GM can't hurt. Maybe getting some Revives. Or you could pump Bone Spear and benefit from the Marrowwalk bug.

For a Merc I would Choose an Act II Nightmare Defensive Merc. THe HF one.

I see. How strange, d2data.net says differently. I'll believe the Arreat Summit on this.

11. XLeper_MessiahX

XLeper_MessiahX IncGamers Member

Thanks, MM. One more question, though: will the -25% to enemy poison resist take monsters out of Poison Immunity? If it does I know they'll still have high resist, but it could save mana on Lower Resists.

12. Mad Mantis

It can take them out of Immunity, but it is not guaranteed. Depends on the immunity. Usually it is used in Combo with LR. Don't spare mana. Just quaff a few pots.

13. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Just to let you know, poison nova does more damage per second, at least with most typical poison builds (max'd synergies, around +10 to p&b). The only thing poison dagger is good for is stabbing and running away - it'll kill eventually. However, with the changes to experience gain, the monster has to be relatively close to you when it dies to get experience for the kill - which nerfs poison dagger severely. You can't just attack each monster once and move on to the next area.

14. Slipin

Slipin IncGamers Member

definatly get some psn facets, with enough they work wonders :drink:

15. necro34

necro34 IncGamers Member

Ok, I'm up to lvl 64 with my melee psn necro. I have some decent gear which is:

Trang Armor
    Vamp Gaze
    WaterWalk
    String of Ears
    Venom Grip
    Black Bogs Sharp
    Homonuculus
    <on weap switch I have>
    White wand
    Mosers

Ammy with +3 to psn and bone
    some bozo rings, nothing special.

Currently, I do 10-11kish dmg with psn dagger, 8-9kish on psn explosion, and 2.5ishk with psn nova.

My attack rating on my psn dagger is around 3.7k, but I find my self using nova and CE more than the dagger. The dmg speed of the dagger is too slow. Its still a lot of stab and run which at times isnt very safe when there are dozens of monsters. Psn Nova and Dagger are maxed and are at lvl31 and with my +skills, psn explosions is at 13. I think I'm going to hold off on maxing psn explosion and work on spear and spirit. At lvl 64, I think I have about 25-28 skill points that shouldnt be a problem attaining. I think with a good psn and a secondary bone attack, it should round out the char.

I want to stay away from summons save for a clay golem to tank for me. But overall its an interesting build for pvm. For pvp, I;m more of a nusciance (sp) than a real threat. As soon as I hit anyone with psn, they take off to town.

16. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Nope, trust me on this one. Only Lower Resistance can remove immunity to poison. A sorc with maxed out cold mastery can't touch a cold immune, much is the same way with -resistance items. You need a spell such as LR or Conviction (Conviction doesn't work with poison) to remove immunities.

But the -resistance items help nicely in removing the remaining resistances (after LR has broken the immunity)