Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee Paladin, fact or fantasy?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by terrymanning, Feb 25, 2004.

1. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

Melee Paladin, fact or fantasy?

I guess it’s time for me to build a melee Paladin. I have a level 70 Hammerdin but I just can’t get the hang of aiming the hammers. I doubt I could get him through Hell difficulty with my poor aiming skills so now I have a level 70 mule.

On to questions.

1) What builds are still viable?
    2) Can I still use a Fanatic Avenger?
    3) What range of crushing blow/deadly strike should I aim for?
    4) Does Zeal still work OK?
    5) I have Horizon’s Tornado. Is this and end game weapon? If so, what is appropriate socket?
    6) Shaftstop, Lion Heart or Guardian Angel?
    7) Max block yes, max block no?

Btw, I dont have the wealth to trade for a HoZ.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TM

2. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

i have started ladder with a classic zealot that used the new synergies.
    he is currently lvl 90 but i had a real tough adventure until i finaly became a guardian.

the problem with paladins except the hammerdins are that u need elite gear to make a viable build for hell. in worst case there is not even one item that adds mf%.

5)
    horizons i would say u had very bad luck. the other scourage is a lot better and which is a so called end game weapon.

3) u need everthiny that u can get your hands on :) highlords amu. gorerider boots.mods on weapon etc. the more the better.

6)
    as far as i know your itemstock i would say shaft... 50% damage reduce is a value u should aim for no matter from whcih items. guardian angel is nice if u can aquire the damage reduce from somewhere else... well but there are nto many options. beside that the advanced block is not really neccesary for a pala. he will have low dex anyway with holy shield.

7)
    of course max block... without it u run around like a living target that begs for a kill :)

4) if u max the synergies its a lot damage but Iron Maiden in worlstone keep and melee fight= lowlife are the general problems.

regards
    jedi

3. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Always have been, always will be my favourite - the underdog melee paladin. The only problem I have been having with them is the small life(for a melee charac anyways)

Pure Avenger - has the damage to knock the stuffing out of everything whatever the immunities, Fanatic avenger too - but may be short of points to get the damage right up there!

Tesladin - my fave - better hope to avoid lightening immunes:)

Fanatic Zealot also still works - Zeal now adds damage and AR so still a very viable skill - as long as your AR is good.

If going with a Physical damage charac - around 50/50 CB/DS worked for me - the more the better as far as I am concerned.

Guardian angel would be my choice unless you go pure avenger and max the synergies.

And yes max block (did I say max it) - please max it - with a few in holy shield the dex investment isn't too steep anyway.

By the way I use a sanctary shield on my lvl82 Pally - does the job, good blocking/res and a good dex bonus - and I have made it to guardian without exactly good eqpt (ask any of the Europe Gatters they probably know:))

Chill

EDIT:Lol beat me to the answers Jedi - I still think Guardian is better for armour tho - but then my scariest moments have involved elemental attck so far :surprise:

4. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

i have a vengeance pally.

the damage he does is reasonable (3k one handed with baranars + conviction)

lvl 72, NM act5. needs better defensive stuff to go to hell (Hoz would do a lot)

of course max block.

5. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

I have a vengeance pally who is looking like he's going to become a level 70 mule. He can kill stuff just fine, but he's BORING :)

The problem with the build is that basically, all you do is hit stuff. The only time you ever switch a skill is to renew your holy shield. Otherwise, it's vengeance on the left button, conviction on the right. Yawn.

6. Chiller_babe

Until you meet the conviction enchanted FE MSLE monster - then it's Aaaarrggh - which damn hotkey did I use for those Resist Auras :surprise:

Most of my Pallys have a wide range of Auras they use when with a party - be it Vigour, Meditation, Cleansing - mostly 1 point wonders admittedly but still useful :uhhuh:

Solo play is - well boring at the best of times tho and I have found most of my 1.10 characs have a much more limited selection of stronger skills they use - thats 1 of my dislikes about the patch

Just my tuppence

Chill

7. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

if u max the synergies its a lot damage but Iron Maiden in worlstone keep and melee fight= lowlife are the general problems.

Zeal isn't the best skill with IM. But any zeal build I've seen could easily switch to a bow/javelin and still have good enough damage to kill (especially the tesladin).

8. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

If you're looking for excitement, try a missionary (conversion + thorns). Not excitement due to fast killing. But excitement in which you never know how hard you're going to get hit wading into the next pack of monsters because you never know when the conversion odds are going to roll against you. :D

It can work through nightmare with resonable efficiency (in no more than 4 player games).

I took a break from playing hell until I got a 2nd cdkey. Now with battle orders available to me in hell, my conversion pally might do all right.

Ok so the battle order dependence might be cheese, but I don't like dying. I'm sure it could be done with better gear than the crap I have. (I have no dmg reduction).

One trick: converting monsters higher level than you leaves them with 1-hitpoint when they unconvert --- even in 8 player games. So this build will work awesome until you are lvl 85-ish at which point it becomes more problematic. Then you have to actually let the thorns do its work which is slow unless you're in a single player game.

The main problem is ranged and elemental attackers. I'm not in great danger from them, but thorns is worthless. I'm thinking of conviction + veng as backup, or a weak tesladin build as backup. (thorns conversion is cheap as it only takes about 5 points in conversion +5 skills to hit the wall on returns). And max thorns of course +skills. But that's only 25 points plus prereqs.

9. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

On to questions.

1) What builds are still viable?
    Avenger works well, Fanatic Zeaot, Tesladin works well
    2) Can I still use a Fanatic Avenger?
    Not really..you need conviction to break immunities and to kill efficiently in hell
    3) What range of crushing blow/deadly strike should I aim for?
    50%/50% is where you want to be..or in the neighborhood
    4) Does Zeal still work OK?
    Zeal works fine for large relative harmless groups. Also good for leeching.
    5) I have Horizon’s Tornado. Is this and end game weapon? If so, what is appropriate socket?
    Yes, this will work as an end game weapon. Socket depends on your build...if you are a Fanat Zealot you want to get 4fps, so chk the tables. It probably is already that fast without a shael. Otherwise...look to pump your dmg..I might even consider a +min dmg jewel of some sort because the min dmg on a horizon is pitiful.
    6) Shaftstop, Lion Heart or Guardian Angel?
    GA. Your life is going to be around 1500+/- depending on your gear. With Max block and a decent holy shield, your main concern will be surviving elemental attacks since you will block/defend most physical. GA will get your resistances to 90% and also basically guarantee you max block with a relatively low end shield.
    7) Max block yes, max block no?
    YES!

Btw, I dont have the wealth to trade for a HoZ.
    You NEED a HOZ. Also a gaze works well if u can dig one up. Orphan set isn't a bad option with lots of cb on the helm and dual leech on the belt.

Prez

10. Chiller_babe

I agree on the damage point - my Tesladin kicks out about 5k damage per hit with only very average gear!

However I'm a Paladin - and that means I'm not going to seen running round WSK without my shield :lol: - somehow the idea is more scary than IM. When I see IM I just switch to a dagger - I do Sod all physical damage anyways:)

Chill

11. Kilmin

Kilmin Banned

hah, TM if you really in need of HOZ taht bad, i have a ton of them, I will give you one if needed.. Just msg me on here, Im not on much but i will take the time to get on and give you one..

-Kil-

12. Chiller_babe

100 % agree with everything but the quote above - It might be very nice to have a HOZ but in all my time playing I never found 1 and it hasn't really hurt:)

And lets face it - who plays a melee Pally these days that isn't

1) A PK Charger
    2) A Hammeerdin
    or
    3) an underdog!

Chill

13. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

The best part about the Pally, imho opinion, is his versatility. There are extremely few skills on his tree that have no viable use (though the Prayer branch comes close), he can be a melee char, a caster, or a hybrid of the two. He can use two-handed weapons (Chargadin), one handed weapons (most everything else), or ranged weapons (the Ranger/Throwsmiter builds). There are so many viable builds: Chargadin, Zealadin, Avenger, Hammerdin, Liberator, FoH offshoots, Missionary: just a pick some skills and see how they pan out. I've most enjoyed playing as the Avenger and Tesladin, and both seem very viable to me.

So in conclusion, blah.

14. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Ahh...
    A pally without his hoz is like a barb without an arreats, or a druid without a jalals, or a necro without a homuculous, or a javazon without her titans...ect.

Can you get by without...probably...

But a Pally NEEDS his Hoz...if for no other reason then self-respect!

:)

Prez

15. Chiller_babe

Hey man as long as you keep Holy Shield up - you can tell every1 you have a Hoz - and noone will know :idea:

Chill

16. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

Well, Prez said it. Apparently I need one if I hope to have any self respect. I will try and trade you for it though. Who knows, I might have something you need.

TM

17. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

HoZ is somewhat of a staple for any Pally build, but GA I only see as a Hammerdin armor. I mean sure, your max resists are 90, but how easy is it to actually get your resists that high without holding a Wizzy in one hand? And the increased blocking is completely unnecessary since most people put quite a few pts in Holy Shield.

Anyway, I have a 77 Avenger using Heaven's Light. His Convic reduces resists by 150% and he does about 1.5-2.2k with only one point in Vengeance (slvl 10 with +skills though). I wanted to get 10 in all the single resist auras before pumping Vengeance so that my max resists would be 80, although at the moment I'm only around 80/70/70/70 even with Smoke armor and a 65 resists rare shield (this thing is so ghetto, it was +2 Combat Skills, of Deflection suffix, and 27% resists with 2 open sockets :evil: ). Holy Shield gets his def up to about 8k, and if his Holy Freeze Merc would actually stay alive for more than 2 seconds I imagine he'd be doing pretty well.

I didn't bother much with leach, as it's pretty ineffective in hell and I figured wearing a shako would up my mana and life enough so that I could just use Redemption every once in a while and stay pretty full (around 1450 life and 320 mana right now). He 2- to 3-hit kills just about everything in solo games, and I'm sure it'll only get better as I throw points into Vengeance. I've also got a wand on switch with charges of lvl 5 Confuse for ugly monster packs... works pretty well. All this without a HoZ or godly duped rune weapon. :p

EDIT: Got an extra one for me Kilmin? :innocent:

18. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Actually its not hard to get the resists up...hoz comes with 50% all res. Stick a pdiamond in it and you have +69%. LOH, Aldurs boots are great sources for fire res. Saracens great for all res and stats. IK Belt awesome for Light and Fire. A few charms, a decent ring, and you are there. And none of these items, other than the Hoz, is particularly hard to obtain. Especailly in fire and light which are the two most critical resistances imho.

And the increased blocking on the GA allows you to put very, very few pts in dex and maintain max block. My pally has max holy shield with GA and Hoz. His dex is around 120 at the moment (mostly from equipment) and has max block. Just a way to get max block and allow you to pump vit even more.

Prez

19. hoyster

hoyster IncGamers Member

If you're really going budget but you need to get those resists up there, a high def paladin only shield with built in resists and 4 sockets can get well over +100 all resists if you drop in some p diamonds, that should help you getting to 90 all with that Guardian Angel, gamble or craft some decent resists on your jewelry and you'll really be rocking and rolling, as well as the aformentioned sets and uniques. With holy shield you'll achieve 75% block fairly easy reguardless of the shield. If you happen to be swimming in runes a beast runeword does pretty good with vengence and conviction, as far as IM is concerned if you go with a holyshock or holyfreeze type of build then just us a really low damage high speed weapon on your switch, if you're going with a zeal fanat type of build just whip out a bow or some throwing weapons.

If you go with zeal and holyshock and/or holyfreeze then don't worry about the deadly strike just load up the Crushing blow.

Have fun with the underdog.

20. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

What can I say, my next project is a zeal/fana pala too. I have not got that many good items yet for him though, so I willl just play him to NM and wait with Hell.

The idéa came up after testing my old 1.09 Zeal/Fana/Conviction Pala, and that char still rocked. Dishing out 1400? - 2700 dmg for every hit with zeal, and that is using a Baranar, so not really a good end-game weapon.

But apart from Baranar he had good stuff on like Shaft, HoZ, Highlords, Raven, Dwarfstar, Gorerider, String, Tal's Mask and very good charms with max dmg/life ones amongst the best :)

Luckily I had waited to invest 36 points (in the wait for 1.10), so I could easily adjust him to 1.10.

The only downside now is that you can't AURASWITCH, stupid Blizz :p

In 1.09 I had Conviction and Fana going both all the time thx to that trick, but no longer *sigh*

Good luck with your pala!

B.t.w. I also had a hammer-pala at the beginning of 1.10, lvl'ed him to 80, made a mule out of him after that. Was not fun to play at all :lol:

/Magnus