Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee Necro setups

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Grimes, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Grimes

Grimes IncGamers Member

Melee Necro setups

hi all, can you all tell me your ideal melee necro setup (skills or items), 1 thats viable for hell non-ladder. I now you lot can help me out and i hope that mad mantis drops by with his melee necro knowlege

melees and commandos rock!

2. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Go to the stickies young grasshopper...MM has his guide there for you to gain much knowledge and wisdom from.

HoS

3. Grimes

Grimes IncGamers Member

HoS if you made a melee necro what items/skills would you use nonladder

4. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

The only thing that makes necros interesting in melee is their curses. Otherwise, their attack speeds are capped at a pretty dismal level. Even with the phase blade, one of the fastest weapons in the game, their frames per attack can't get lower than 10. (there are 25 frames in a second so that's 2.5 attacks a sec). Barbarians start at close to 10 using the phase blade with no improved attack speed items. Their other problem is that they have crappy life which is best countered with a strong bone armor. I would still "cheat" and use Corpse Explode as a meleemancer though. It's just too good of a one-point wonder not to use.

On the other hand, the melee classes can't simply cast attract then, amp and simply focus all their attention on one target.

For weapons I would go with faster two-handers. You'd think a shield would be important for a necro but he doesn't have to handle as many targets at a time due to his curses and his damage can really use that extra helping hand from a heavy hitter.

5. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

When I made mine...I followed the same setup as MM did and found it to be a fun build...compared to typical everyone makes a summoner or bone builds...and wanted something different the rest.

Also...I didn't want to have any runewords used for mine...and just used MM's setup of IK maul/duriel's/ etc.

If I went the runeword way...fort/botd GPA would be my armor and weapon of choice.

Ended up getting mine to level ** before retiring it.

HoS

6. Pherdnut

It's oddly satisfying to wack enemies with maul as a necro.

7. Grimes

Grimes IncGamers Member

like an eth cranium basher?

or a beast maul?

8. Pherdnut

Mantis speaks fondly of the Ik Maul.

9. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

~

I would lean more for a dagger - stabby build...which means a completely different skill set up.

My old daggermancer used;

~"fury" fanged knife
    ~coh dusk
    ~highlords
    ~1x raven / 1x natures peace {all i had at hand}
    ~dungos
    ~.08 gaze {silence your wimpers...it was required!}
    ~trang gloves + shield
    ~goreies

And a handfull of curse gc's, some random +ar sc's & lc's, and an anni.

He maxed pdagger, explosion, and nova, with 1 pt into all curses, with dim, confuse, and attract hotkeyed {dim was almost up all the time, spaming on the edge of my screen because I dont use mh, had no idea where those critters were}.

He was built between physical and poison, with a hint of open wounds. The overall listed physical damage was weak, but i had a nice heap of deadly strike mixed in to help with leaching.

He was damn fun, just had some problems with curse duration around hell when monster hp really picked up. Sort of made me want to get a storm lash on switch for its static or have a crushing blow merc setup.

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Indeed. The other classes hit insanely fast and do huge damage they don't have the long term crowd control that we have. They don't need it, but we do. Sometimes it is hard to choose which kind of crowd control skill would be best.

Cranium Basher is too slow. A Beast Maul would be nice. It has good attack speed in both normal a Bear form. You can also try an IK Maul or a Windhammer. Other good twohanders are Ribcracker and Tomb Reaver. Bonehew can be used in an interesting way if you synergise the attack on it.

11. Grimes

Grimes IncGamers Member

Wow lots of imput thank you all so much now all i need to do is buy a computer wich can handle games and get meleeing

yay! madmantis and Hos talked to me!