Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

melee mancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Royaumm, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Royaumm

Royaumm Diabloii.Net Member

I want to start a untwinked character as you may already know and I tried trap sin and she was boring! I was thinking of trying a melee build and being that it will be untwinked im trying to think of a fun, not as gear dependant melee character. Right now im thinking about a melee necro as his physical dmg can easily be boosted with ad or dec curses and if suitability is an issue he can go life tap without the need for dracs or high ll gear. my thought for him is mostly a curse build with corpse exploision and clay golem/few skelies. I was thinking get a clay golem and 2/3 skelies as shields, dec/amp for dmg, lifetap as needed, corps exp for aoe. While he probably wont be tearing it up i was thinking this could be a fun hc option and regaurdless of the gear i find he could get off some dmg and survive quite well.

has anyone tried anything like this before? Or do you know what stats in particular i should look for in gear? Im not sure how crushing blow works with life steal or amp dmg so i was thinking of focusing on ias, flat dmg, and deadly strike because i think deadly works with both amp dmg and life tap. Then i would focus on defensive stats as im not a hc player so i would feel much better with him being relatively tanky. but i could also use curses for crowd control so im not really sure what i will end up with until i get going but if you guys have any input it would be highly appreciated.

edit: Also i cant seem to find the ias breakpoints for trang vamp form or for deliriums bone fetish. Does anyone happen to know where i could find these? this character is mostly for fun so i think it could be cool if i could potentially get these to work out for him

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

Have a look at the mat/pat thread, and try the search function on the forum. There have been some, or few, versions of melee mancers played before and you can fins them all via the aforementioned thread or via a simple search. They usually have details from the playthrough and usually has most of the info u r looking for.

3. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

I usually use mid-level gear (up to um rune) but still when I made mine it was twinked build.... anyway here some thoughts/tips:

* Your flat damage will be low since no necro skill has ED bonus

* I found decrep was much more useful and safer then amp (single hit attack, low damage...)

* In order to hit in hell you should look for ITD or go with act1 merc or BA merc

* 'slow' on merc gear is great for such build

* Consider to invest in bone armor synergies (40 points), i found it quite helpful in hell

* Suggested skills and stats:

Str ~100-120
    Dex ~130
    Vit - rest

Amp/decrep 1-5+
    Dim vision 1-5+
    CE 1-5+
    Bone wall & prison 40
    Skeletons mastery 20
    Golem/mastery/resists 1+
    Raise skeletons - up to 2-3 skeletons

* https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/patriarch-marshal-melle-necro.821416/#post-8174546

^ my experience with melee necro

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Read Mad Mantis’ guide in the Necro forum.

Kitteh likes this.
  5. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

Echoing what others have said, I think an untwinked meleemancer would be challenging (but doable for sure). I had two twinked meleemancers in my 7x7: if you're interested, check this post and this one. The second one in particular was pretty fun and poison dagger (unsynergized) is a reasonable way to get some AR, which may otherwise be a challenge untwinked without a blessed aim merc. Good luck!

6. OldSoldier

OldSoldier Diabloii.Net Member

I used Dim Vision to keep mobs off of me and a might merc to add to the damage since there is no off weapon ED available otherwise. I also used an Angelic's ring/amulet combo to get straight AR but you can also get some pretty good scaling AR with a Fool's weapon or two pieces of Hsaru's set. On top of that I had a Demon Limb for added AR. Untwinked that Demon Limb might not be feasible unless you spend some timing running bosses.

7. Royaumm

update: I'm really enjoying him so far! I found a wormskull luckily since its pretty much the perfect lower level melemancer helm. The rest of the gear is not that good mostly junk rares for res and bloodfists. He is currently in act 5 of nm and lvl 54. I farmed meph for a while but its pretty slow on him and he doesnt have any mf besides one nag ring so I think ill hold off on the farming until hell and hopefully i can find some basic mf gear like chancies and another nag. I am investing a lot of points into bone shield and its synergies and i am finding it extreamly helpful. I am investing in dex for some more ar and chance to block but im still nervous to move on to hell. I just dont think my dmg/chance to hit will cut it. I have pretty meh res in nm but if i cant hit anything to lifesteal in hell with the lower res I dont think he will do very well. In the later stages of act 5 I am finding it harder to survive already so im using lifetap more than decrep which isnt ideal for my dps. now im just weighing moving onto hell or farming andy/meph/chaos in nm for some new gear.

T72on1 likes this.
  8. Royaumm

I found gores and a raven frost farming nm! and an eye of the etlitch ammy but I dont really need the skill so I think i need to lvl him up to craft one. Does anyone have any advice on getting pgems? I usually run cows and chaos in hell and I keep track of any shrines near wps and I check those every game. Is there any better strats out there? It works pretty well but I wanna know if there are any other options. I have tried running new chars for forge but that takes too long so I switched to farming/shrine method but I could use any other good strats :D