Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee druid resists?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Atompilz, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Atompilz

Atompilz IncGamers Member

Melee druid resists?

Heya, just a few questions for my planned druid build.

I'm going to make a melee wolf, with a pretty basic stat allocation, 20 ww, 20 lyc, 20 fury, 20 sage, and 20 or so into feral rage, ideally.

I'm planning on using the following items:

Cerebus bite, +4, +2
    Highlord's ammy
    Shaeled Upped 297% ed ribcracker (damn, is it sweeet:p)

I have an assortment of decent armors and rings, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I'd like to use enigma, but therein lies my problem. I'm going to have total crap resists, especially without a shield. I could UM the cerebus, and UM a vipermagi, I guess. I have an annhilus I'll have him use when he hits 70, too. I guess could go with Jalal's, but I have a perfect skill cerebus and want to use it. Any advice from anyone who faced a similar problem? What kind of resists should I aim for to survive in hell with a wolf, since I don't think I can reasonably expect to max them? I'm used to playing a necro with abominable resists, and my .09 druid, er well, let's not talk about him.

2. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

Hi welcome to the druid forum,
    For resists the first thing you should get is a Jala's Mane. Its absolutely the best helm around for a druid. I envy you ladder peeps btw =). If you Um'ed that it would be 52% resist a good deal.
    Enigma is an extremely poor choice for you. Why? Simply, its meant for mfing because of teleport. Without teleport Enigma is kinda junky and when shifted you cant teleport. Also trying to teleport in human form wihtout fcr is kinda bad. COH=65% resists
    Anya gives 30% from each of the quests you get 10%.

As for the rest of yoour gear. Revolving around Ribcracker.

COH = 65% resist
    UM'ed Jala's 45% resist EDIT:: Good catch.
    Anya = 30% resist
    Ravenfrost 15%ish cold abosrb (must)
    Dwarf Ring 15% fire aborb (optional)
    Wisp Projector Ring 15%ish aborb (optional)

Total Resist = 147% - 100%hell difficulty penalty = 47%
    Im sure you can get 28% resist somewhere from the amulet, boots, belt, and gloves. I included rings above because they are alot better in alot cases.

Amulet = Higlords which is 32% lit resist = max lit acheived
    Cold already achieved with Ravenfrost
    Fire resit max achieved easily with Laying of hands
    That leaves jsut posion which at 47% IMO is decent enough because its not sudden dmg.

EDIT: If COH is expensive wear LIONHEART runeword. Its cheap to make and abosultely great. BTW you want max resist because you have no shield so you should try to shore up your defense as much as possibly in other areas so as to balance yourself out.

3. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Um jalals is 45% resist :)
    Shields are the items that get 22 resist from Um.
    Ravenfrost is 20% cold absorb.

Jalal 30
    Anni 10 at least
    Anya 30
    Armor - 30(lionheart) 65 (chains)
    Try and get a lot of resist charms, and Um rune would help. I'd say over 40 would be decent?

4. Atompilz

Holy #%$, that was about 10 times more helpful than my wildest expectations, thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly. I'm going to see what I can make up for in charms to be able to use the Cerebus, but I'll start looking for a Jalal's anyhow.

Thanks again!

5. ReallFugitive

ReallFugitive IncGamers Member

If he uses the Highlords, and Laying of Hands in addition to chains of honor that should help him out on the worst of the worst. His damage would be totally awesome agianst demons :) I'd just be sure to use a ravenfrost to get that CBF mod, plus it will help you agianst the apparitions and cold oblivion knights. Now all he lacks is leech :p I'd try to get 1 good 11% ring.

6. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

f-e-r-a-l r-a-g-e

7. ReallFugitive

ReallFugitive IncGamers Member

Good point.

8. Atompilz

I have a pair of LOH i was planning on using as well, the 50% fire res and 20 ias in addition the 350 to demons is just too cool. I have a carrion wind which would add 55% poison res and
    7 LL, I could always use wilhelm's belt too for the 5% dual resist and 10% more cold resist.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford a COH atm. My MF necro would be hella upset if I went and sold his enigma. (And I just traded Tal's armor for rhe rest of trang's set for him, too, Doh.) I have a freshly mfed skullders I suppose I could try to get an Ist for, then who knows about the Ber.(and a windforce too, come to think of it!) Maybe I can afford COH..sweet!:) What str armor do you folks reccomend for a melee druid?

9. Burnt_toasty

Perhaps you should take another look at LIONHEART runeword. Extremely cheap to make for waht you get. Another option is Duriel's Shell

COH>LIONHEART>Duriel's SHell

Reasone why some choose may choose Duriel's is this setup.
    DURIELS, Wisp Ring, Dwarf Star Ring. Very intense absorb setup somewhat cheap. The belt increases your max cold resit to 90% so a few cheap cold resist/2nd mod something would be awesome.

But if thats a hassle and then go Lionheart. Cant go wrong.

10. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

I have taken dozens of druids both bear and wolf through hell difficulty, 5 of them since 1.1 came out. I have NEVER had max resists on them, ever, and I NEVER DIE. My current fire bear has 7/48/32/-7 resists in hell, with absolutely no life leech at all, and nothing comes close to killing me.

My lvl 76 fury wolf has worse resists than that, and is on HC by the way - no deaths int he foreseeable future. That's whay feral rage is for. 80% life leech is unstoppable.

11. Burnt_toasty

Thats great you dont die.

Alot of people dont have max resists but if you can do it why not? I mean getting max resists doesnt really hurt him and he isnt sacrficing any gear nor any killing speed to do it so why not?? It can only make him stronger.

Just because you dont die doesnt mean anything. It could just be your personal playing style. You not dying doesnt confirm trying to get max resists as a bad idea nor the other way.

12. Atompilz

I have another 2 questions, if anyone can answer, I would appreciate it.

So my main weapon, upgraded ribcracker stalagmite, has a req str of only 63. Since most melee druids seem to rely on a weapon with much higher strength, perhaps even the highest str requirement of any melee druid's items, is there a point in putting more points into str.? I've decided on using a lionheart armor, all I have at the moment in terms of elite 3 sockets is a hellforge plate, with a 190ish str req. and with -15% req on the lionheart, I guess that would get down to 160ish, which I don't see much point in doing if it's the only thing I need such high str for. Would it be benefical for my build to pretty much get my str to 63, find a low str req elite 3 socket armor (not a prospect I relish considering what they seem to go for on the channels..), which would add 25 to my str,getting me up to at least 87, which will in turn allow me to wear jalals or cerebus' bite. Add a mid level annhilus, and I then have enough strength to wear gore riders, while only pumping my str up to 63. Am I missing something, like some vital item that has a higher str req? Is there anything pumping up str will do for me? Or should I pump all those extra points into vitality for insane life /w maxed oak sage?

And my second question, for my skills points, I plan on putting 20 lyca, 20 ww, 20 fury, 20 oak sage, 20 feral rage (Gotta love that measly ONE prereq for that build!:p). Which should I max last, since I will have to be ** (I think, I'm horrible at math) until I have all of those maxed? Thanks again!

13. Atompilz

Ok, so based on a little research on my part, that first question was pretty dumb. I guess if I don't put a lot of points into str, I wont be hurting a flea.

Second questions still stands, however:)

Thanks!

14. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Max feral last, imho with only 1 point with any +skills it will be already pretty usefull...

Also consider a nice Gloom armor over the lionheart... since you are using ribcraker try to get the most out of the +100% enhanced defense... if you are lucky you will get a nice elite low str req armour, i got a 15XX Gloom Great Hauberk, only 118str req... and Gloom also has that *small* chance to cast a low lvl dim vision... it is sweet when you see it working... and it will happen more often than what you could think :D.. and the dmg taken goes to mana makes me wolf very happy, he doesn´t use any ML and always has his bulb full :D... really try that armour if you can, you will be giving up a little stat bonusses for more defense, more resists, more usefull mods, and if you ever change the cerebus for a jalal´s mane you will hit the 3frame FHR breakpoint..

Btw this post is based on my testing of both a G.Hauberk Lionheart and a G.Hauberk Gloom ...

15. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I dunno lionheart is a lot of life/dmg.

16. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Like i said i speak of experience, i have both runewords and tested them both on my wolf... and that dim vision is the next best thing to shockwave... also with all the stats he could save he could up the vitality if he wants, and a shaeled ribcracked upped does already more than enough dmg... the 20% extra + 20% from str bonus isn´t all that great if he starts to get seriously swarmed in hell and if he gets hit too much because of low defense... it may not seem like much but the difference between 2k defense and 4.5-5k defense on a wolf does help...

Forgot to say: the dim vision gets casted even if you where hit only with a spell, so for some instances it is better than shockwave, because it can get casted on top of ranged monsters out of range... it gives only a couple of seconds, but it is enough time to close the distance and kill them... it works wonders against black souls and the like :D