Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee Damage

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by TopheavyHookjaw, Mar 31, 2004.

1. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

Melee Damage

Some points brought up at the tail end of a previous threads gave me a good idea for a new one involving melee damage.

We all know that crushing blow rocks and that it can take down big guys easy. However, let's not forget the little guys that you have to fight in order to get to the big guys. Since CB takes down a percentage of health, you'll still need overall damage to take down the little guys.

With that said, I'm throwing this out to the forum. What are the best melee weapons for the following combinations (go ahead and assume decent CB from other equip).

Barb-WW, Zerk, Conc
    Pali/Druid-Zeal/Frenzy

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Let me get this out of the way.....

BoTD, Doom or Kinslayer doooooood that is all there is that is worht a crap!!!

The same old items you used in 1.09 with some exceptions still work now but you just dont kill as fast and it is as simple as that really.

Speed is a key item as it always has been so some things like Grandfather arent as good as a lesser damage full speed item, or the big two hand axe which name isnt coming to me jsut is to slow now and was rather slow then.

My First 1.10 Barb killed just as well if not better with an upped Cromir Viorte (whatever) than he did with a Doombringer which is a big comparison between speed and damage.

I think a few items like Lightsaber has sort of become more towards the obsolete side, but even wiht one of these if your gear compliments it you can do well in smaller games. Bstars and Scheaffers arent so hot anymore but still workable.

What seems to shine now that didnt before are some things like IK Maul due to have 2 sockets now, and getting elements with more pcs added. A barb can actually be pretty darn good with all IK and not the armor. The Steel uppes is damn good, very low req you just need a little crushing and you can do extremely well.

The biggest thing other than crushing is simply how you play. Barbs cant just WW all over the place and not have worries like they use to and I am not talking about IM. Leech is different and you just dont suck back 3/4 of your life orb in one pass anymore so drink some pots.

3. TopheavyHookjaw

Damn, you beat me to it. I forgot to say "best OBTAINABLE" weapons. Sure, I'd love a BoTD, Doom or Kingslayer...but I doubt I'll ever be able to put one together and I'm sure as hell not rich enough to trade for one of those.

I was also thinking more along the lines of upgrades and better uniques (like Tomb Reaver, Hell Slayer and Grandfather to name a few)

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

LUM/PUL/Emerald can make a number of items Hell usable

All these should be on the high end side but in a pinch can do fine even not high end.

Cromir whatever upgrades to a Legend......has damage reduce, slow monster, blazing fast, reasonable reqs and I think -defense per hit
    Headstriker
    Butchers Puil
    Steel Driver upped once is a 290-350 Martel needs 15 IAS for WW is like 600+ upped again
    Unique Normal War Axe has 30 IAS already, only worth upgrade if it high end but is like 150-175 on top end ED and isnt bad
    Ribcracker
    Atlanteen looks to be an ok upgrade but isnt very fast withonly one socket possible.

There are more things but these are ones that ocme to mind.

Of the new items the poles are nice just high req and dont really drop a ton to be easy to obtain.

If you are one of a defenseive guru many armors get some pretty sick D when upped. A Goldskin with its 35 Priz upped once seems like a nice option but i havent found one and it is pretty good as is for low/mid lvl just slows ya down some and looks to orange!!!

Gtoes are an item that has rose more in popularity since CB is so needed, sure there is no speed on them but its not anything you can overcome.

Rixots Keen very overlooked item upped is similar damage to a Bloodletter just no skills or IAS but it had Crushing!!!

Untwinked, anythign wiht crushing or a lot of deadly is a potential upgrade.

Too bad sets cant upgrade like Clegs! That would be pretty sick set upgraded i beleive the shield will get more block which it lacks. This set will get you thru NM solo, My Fiance is lvl 54 in Act 3 using it and frankly she isnt very good and doesnt care to be good she just plays when she feels like it.

There are soooooo many things most people that play just dont even think of doing or trying. You know Honor Runeword isnt all that great but it isnt anyhting to forget abotu either when you dont have a lot of stuff. In the right item, somehting with speed naturally it is good as well as Black. Strenght, and Steel......Smoke is still smokin!

Its all about taking what you ahve and MAKING it work not sitting back and feeling sorry for yourself because you dont have all this uber crap this guy has. That crap still isnt needed to beat this game you just have to play it the right way!

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

i think the poor Hell Slayer has seen its day in the sun unelss you had the other IAS for say a Conc barb or maybe a Zerker. Otherwise its simply and item to collect and say "grr wish I had one in 1.09 for my WW druid.

6. TopheavyHookjaw

Found a Hell Slayer the other day and thought it might work well on a conc barb. I think that putting it on a Zerker would be crazy...insane damage but no defense and no leech with no blocking would be too risky.

Lets not forget about upgrading a Cold Steel Eye. Talk about some nice mods.

7. stemis516

stemis516 IncGamers Member

actually u mentioned tomb reaver above

if u find a 3 socket one that might be interesting on a lance barb

its got 60 ias and with 3 sockets(hopefully) u have a lot of leeway to add dmg and more speed if the breakpoint calls for it (dunno the breakpoint)

right now i jeweled my mercs 3 socket tomb reaver with 2x 35+ed jewels and a sheal and got it up to 67x dmg, plus hitting a 4 frame attack for merc jac

i dunno barb so u might not even need a shael

8. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

What a waste! A tomb reaver with 3 sockets is about the best weapon for a no-shield WW barb.

9. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Why use expensive runewords? Razor's Edge and Fleshripper are good enough (and not expensive).

10. stemis516

stemis516 IncGamers Member

which is why i suggested that he make a ww barb with it, unlike what i did

11. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Steeldriver cannot reach the fastest whirlwind BP for 2 handed non sword weapons at -60
    Even with a shael it only hits -40 which puts it after the -30 bp