Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee daggermancer, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ConFusion, Mar 9, 2004.

1. ConFusion

ConFusion IncGamers Member

Melee daggermancer, looking for advice

Yes, my dear necromancers, I, ConFusion, intend to walk the path of the great meleemancers once again. Well, to be honest, I hate necro's and druids, I just like the meleenecro and have no 'special' reason to hate the other types. With that being said, you'll probably understand I hardly know anything about necro's. I made a meleemancer with a cruel legend spike of quickness (dual ohm, not because it's best but because it looks cool... and after all, style is more important then killing speed). This, together with some nifty damage reduction gear like a stormshield, harlequin crest and string of ears, made my necro viable enough to walk through most parts of hell.
    Now, patch 1.10 completely changed the whole game and therefor, my precious meleemancer from 1.09 has a hard time to kill carvers on normal difficulty. Time for some new fun. Note that I play hardcore exclusively and never duel, also I do not have 25+ mules with the most godly runes and items that you could possibly think of (m'avina's set, bul katho's mythical sword and skullder's ire being my most expensive items, yet I have some friends with nice items (like a Fleshripper - Unique Fanged Knife), therefor my equipment choices are limited. Please take this in consideration when replying to this 'guide in construction'. After having read the Encyclopedia Necromantica, I came up with the following.

As for the skills, I think I will be maxing bone armor, bone wall and poison dagger. I won't use the skill poison dagger until I find a source of mana leech, but it gives me a nice AR% anyway, if I understood that correctly. To max out my bone armor I will be lame enough to use Marrowwalks, bringing my BA to a shiny 1005 dmg absorbed without +skill items (and each +bone skill gives another 10 dmg absorb). As for the one-point-wonders: Iron Maiden, Amp damage, Lower resist and Fire Golem (with mastery and resist), will do. Decripify, my main curse will be level 10.
    I think people will disagree with the use of Fire Golem, it's not very popular here, I guess. Any other suggestions?

On stat points, I would like to use the following:

118 Strength
    180 Dexterity
    Rest Vitality
    Base Energy

118 Strength allows me freedom of equipment, while being able to wear Marrowwalk (which grant even more strength so I could wear heavier items when I want to), I feel that I must be able to wear a stormshield if I ever find one.
    180 Dexterity will give me enough dexterity for max block when wearing Marrowwalk (+17 dex) and Ravenfrost (+15-20 dex). I'm hoping to get a Homunculus to archieve max block.

Total Blocking % = [Blocking x (Dexterity – 15)] / (Character Level x 2)
    75 % = [72 × (192,1 - 15)] / (85 × 2)
    Dex required for max block (Homunculus) at level 85 is: 192

Just in case I do not have a Homunculus at level 85 and will still be using a Moser's Blessed Circle, my dex-requirement would be:

Total Blocking % = [Blocking x (Dexterity – 15)] / (Character Level x 2)
    75 % = [72 × (238,7 - 15)] / (85 × 2)
    Dex required for max block (Moser's) at level 85 is: 239
    Not sure wether I can get that with 180 dex base.
    Higher dexterity will also give me more damage (75/75 stat point damage rating for all daggers now) and attack rating (which is multiplied by the Poison Dagger bonus), but will be not so important when I get to wear Fleshripper (-50% Target's Defense).

Vitality: The rest®
    Nearly every hardcore build suggests putting all 'leftovers' in vitality. This meleemancer will be no exception. Because my life will be a little low without harlequin crest, godly charms and more like that, I think that putting everything in vitality would be more than necessary.

Energy: None.
    I will hardly use any mana, just for casting Decripify, Bone Armor and a Golem. With some mana leech, I can easily go with a small blue ball.

Equipment:
    Finally the fun part begins, equipment! Here's my list:

Helm: Tal Rasha's Mask
    One of the best helmets in the game, who can hate 10% dual leech, 60 life, 45 mana, 15% all resist on a helm? I'm sure I can't. Looks ugly tho, too bad. Socketed with an IAS jewel.
    Ultimate helm would be a Crown of Ages.

Weapon: Fleshripper

-50 % Target's Defense, 25% crushing blow, 33% deadly strike, 50% open wounds, Prevent Monster Heal, 20% slow. Looks like Gore Riders were crafted with a dagger. Nice damage, nice mods, -20 base speed. Just what I need.

Shield: Homunculus

40% All resist, 72% Block and 30% Faster Block Rate, good stuff. +2 Necro skills is just gravy. Socket: Perfect Diamond.
    Ultimate shield would be a Sanctuary runeword or a Stormshield.

Armor: Lionheart Runeword

30% all resist and a lot of stat points, even 50 Life and 20% extra damage included. Lovely armor for every character.
    Ultimate armor would be a Chains of Honor runeword. Stone would be great too.

Gloves: Laying of Hands

350% ED, 20% ias and 50% fire resist. Lovely. :)

Belt: String of Ears

10-15% DR, 10-15 mdr and life leech. Very good belt.

Boots: Marrowwalk

Huge damage reduce due to the bug involved. Good other stats too.

Amulet: Highlord's Wrath

20% ias, little lightning damage, lightning resist, nice deadly strike and +1 skill. One of the best amulets in the game.

Ring 1: Ravenfrost

15-20 dexterity, attack rating and cannot be frozen. Even cold absorb on it. A must-have for nearly every character.

Ring 2: Rare ring

Leech, resist, life. I'll take what I can get.

Weapon Speed Breaks (Fanged Knife - 1 Hand Thrust) - Base:18 WSM:-20

IAS EIAS Frames
    0 20 15
    8 27 14
    19 36 13
    35 47 12
    58 59 11
    99 74 10

Faster Hit recovery:
    13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4
    0 5 10 16 26 39 56 86 152 377

Necromancer FBR
    11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3
    0 6 13 20 32 52 86 174 600

So basicly, I'm asking for advice to improve this build. Perhaps I overlooked something or maybe there is a better skill/item then I already intend to use? Help would be highly appreciated.

ConF

2. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

~Confusion~
    Great plan up to this point. Looks like you really did your homework.

Let's start with suggestions.

1. Gear:
    Helm ~ Tal's Mask is a great source for dual leech. Might I also suggest a Stealskull for the dual leech / mf / ias.
    Armor ~ The new runeword STONE is a phenomenal armor for melee characters. It's expense is definately outshone by it's performance. (shael / um / pul / lum).
    Gloves ~ Ahh, the beauty of LOH. Great choice.
    Boots ~ Perfect
    Jewelry ~ Perfect
    Belt ~ String is nice, might I suggest either upgrading it for defense, or using Verdungo's if you have one.
    Shield ~ I disagree on Sanctuary being best. While it is uber sexxxy, homo has too many advantages to a necro to be overlooked, especially with it's great blocking.

Skills:
    Max Poison Dagger (if not used, ar bonus' are enough of a reason to max)
    Max Bone Armor
    Max Bone Wall
    1 each curse (liberal here)
    1 clay golem
    1 golem mastery

Puts you at 71 points (-12 for quest bonus' = clvl 59)

I'd strongly recommend placing 20 points into poison nova. You already have one of it's synergies maxed, and it does great for slowly chipping away at monsters health, and stopping all regen. I think fire golem has too many pre-reqs to really be advantageous to a build like this. Clay will help with slowing monsters down, and has the highest life of the golems.

Your stat's look perfect IHMO.

Last note, +skill items do not effect synergies with exception to bug's like marrowalk. So a lvl 20 Bone wall gives the same synergy bonus to Bone Armor as say, a lvl 41 bone wall.

So good luck, keep us posted!

3. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Pump your curses. And get some AI curses.

5. ConFusion

The only rune I got from those is Lum, so I must be quite lucky with my soulstone quests. Perhaps I'll find these runes later.

Well, verdungo's give 10% fhr and 30-40 vitality but this is at the cost of 6-8% life leech and 10-15 mdr (which used to work great against elemental damage in 1.09, not sure if it's still good). I think both are about equal, 60-80 life is nice, but so is that life leech. I'll see what I can get.

Will probably go for the (cheaper) homunculus. Thanks for helping there.

Why not going for a higher decripify and why 'just' clay golem? A fire golem at level one has 3 times the life of a clay golem. Enough reason for me to take it (I have enough skill points left anyway). What did I not see?

Perhaps I will do that, was also thinking of taking bone spear or spirit to help killing Diablo Clone, should I encounter him (never met him in the 3 weeks that I start playing 1.10 again, I loved 1.09 too much for too long).

@Dazuni, your 'school' is a Daggermancer, based on Poison damage whereas my character intends to deal as much physical damage from his dagger. A whole different setup if you ask me.

@Mantis, I intend to 'pump' my Decripify to level 10. Should hold long enough to finish monsters off. What other curses should I pump?

Thanks for the advice, keep 'm coming.

6. Mad Mantis

Clay Golem has slow. With some +skills Clay makes for a CHEAP and strong tank. Combo's of Decrep and Clay will make Bosses crawl like a snail in a tar pit.

The AI curses should be raised. DV and Attract will make your Meleeing life easier.

Decrep at 9.4 seconds sounds longer than it is. You will not be dropping enemies left and right. Those 9 seconds are very quickly gone.

7. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

this is why i said use clay golem. while fire golem does do SOME damage, his usefullness is far outshined by clay golem's slowing effect. Add on top of that, the fact that it costs NO pre-reqs, that leaves you more for your poison nova.

I'd be against boner skills, as they really don't shine w/o the use of their synergies. While you may be maxing bone wall, your leaving out 3 others. Whereas with PN, your maxing one of the 2 anyway.

MM is right about the AI curses. my original msg was to be 'liberal' here. Meaning your going to find their usefullness as you go. You may not need a lot of DV / Attract through norm / nm, but then find yourself in a2 hell sewers and you say...'now i'll toss some into DV / ATTRACT'.

g

8. Mad Mantis

Exactly what I wanted to say. Good show G. :thumbsup: Have a beer on me. :drink:

9. ConFusion

I was taking a point of DV anyway to cast against Gloams. We all know how much they hurt. :S

I hope one point plus a few skillers is enough to bring it's radius high enough?

10. Mad Mantis

Radius is not a real problem. The problem is the duration cut in Hell. It gets cut to a quarter of the duration on Norm.