Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee/Caster questions

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by OmegaHatred, Nov 9, 2006.

1. OmegaHatred

OmegaHatred IncGamers Member

Melee/Caster questions

I want to make a Melee/Caster Sorc based on DreamOfWinter's awesome, awesome guide and I had some questions.

My Skills
    Lightning Mastery: 20
    Enchant: 10
    Blizzard: 20
    Cold Mastery: 15
    Glacial Spike: 20
    Ice Blast: Rest

My Gear
    Passion Pb with Hoto on switch
    Dream Shield with Spirit on switch
    Dream Helm
    Arachnids Mesh
    COH
    Dracs or LOH or Bloodfist
    Metal Grid Ammy
    Raven Frost
    Some Other Ring
    Sandstorm Trek

Questions: Should I go with cold or light gcs? Too much into Enchant? Will I have enough AR to hit or should I get a Blessed Aim Merc?

2. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

The majority of you melee damage is the Fire Dmg from Enchant (since you don't have combat skills that boost your physical ED%).
    So I guess even a Lv20 Enchant is not too much.
    Why not a single point in Fire Mastery?

3. OmegaHatred

re:

Whoops lol my bad I forgot to mention that. Also wouldn't a majority of my melee damage come from the Dual Dreams and Lightning mastery?

Fire Mastery: 1

4. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Oh, you're right, I made some mistake :tongue:. The majority of melee damage is from Holy Shock Aura.
    Only 1 point in Enchant is enough for AR boosting.
    Without maxing Fire Mastery and Warmth, Enchant can only do trivial fire damage. And you have invested a lot of points in Cold tree, so I suggest only 1 point in Enchant, and ignore Fire Mastery. You can put more points in Blizzard's synergies.
    If you choose Frozon Orb, then you may invest more points in Enchant, but I don't think Enchant will become decent.

5. OmegaHatred

re:

Ok so 1 into Enchant. but what about the rest of the questions...cold or light gcs? Will I have enough AR?

6. Lowgat

Lowgat IncGamers Member

Cold/Life GCs. You're going to get a boost to glacial spike, blizzard, and cold mastery whereas you only get useful boost to your lite mastery with the lite gcs. I've built this out and you're going to use you blizzard/spike a lot more than your melee. Once you get an Infinity merc you're going to be able to kill normal CI baddies/bosses with one swing. Even without Infinity you kill so fast you probably wouln't notice.

1 in enchant is plenty. And get a holy freeze merc - not a blessed aim merc. BA mercs get swarmed too easily so you'll end up spending more time keeping your merc alive in packs. Plus when you're meleeing you want them slow w/o having to spike 'em since you're not going to have enough fcr to deal with a fast pack.

Keep in mind that with Passion you get a big boost to AR (50-80%). With dual ravensfrosts and a metalgrid that means you get 800+ AR base boosted by another 400 - 600 so over 1200 AR just from your weapon and jewelry. Add in the zeal boost of 50%-80% and you're going to have plenty of AR.

If you still think you're going to have a problem with AR keep attack small charms and swap them in when you're fighting everyone but Meph (you need the space for resistance and life charms). Really though I haven't had any problems with the attack rating. Life, otoh, without the Life GCs and sacrificing space for dex charms until I find a sorc torch is another issue... Fortunately I'm building her to make dual runs with a smiter and not as a solo runner. Eventually it'd be nice if she can make the runs but the cost to get her up that high is pretty immense.

BTW - I actually added more stat points to Str and Dex since I didn't have quite the perfect gear that Dreamofwinter had. Still seems to work fine. Also cold mastery should be the final thing you push stats into with the goal of hitting 15 at lvl 85-90 where you need to be to make the runs.

7. dreamofwinter

dreamofwinter IncGamers Member

First off, I just wanted to say that I agree with everything Lowgat says. :)

For your skills distribution, you will want to max ice bolt and ice blast, and put points into glacial spike last, and don't put more than 1 pt into enchant. I also found that for day to day playing (baal runs, key runs, etc.) I was better off with a Call to Arms phase blade as my melee weapon than with Passion, since it gives you lots more life and mana while swinging nearly as fast. Cold/30+life GCs are your friend, but if you can't find them you will probably discover that you are better off with +20 life SCs than with plain cold GCs. In general you will have plenty of offense (two ridiculously powerful attacks in two trees) and survivability is your main concern. I also swapped over to a Defiance merc instead of the Holy Freeze Merc, since you will chill 'n slow monsters plenty with your blizz attack, and with the 12k defense I was getting, you don't get hit much. :afro:

Also, get yourself a good pair of marrowwalks so you can use them for charges of life tap; it's much more dependable than hacking away and hoping that your dracs proc in time, and it'll help towards the steep strength and dex requirements of your equipment.

Good luck and enjoy the build!

8. OmegaHatred

re:

Instead of Drac's should I just go with double upped Bloodfist and just use the Marrowwalk Life Tap charges? Also when is it a good time for SS and when is it a good time for Dream Shield?

9. dreamofwinter

dreamofwinter IncGamers Member

I find stormshield is better for single player games when you don't need the crazy damage. In 8 player games like baal runs, I use dual dreams, because I need the extra damage to one-hit monsters. You will also have other players to "tank" for you, so you don't need the stormshield as much. For uber running, bring both dreams, you'll need 'em.

I prefer laying of hands to bloodfist when ubering, because the extra enhanced damage to demons really helps your leeching. For normal playing I use magefists for fcr.