Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Melee build questions

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by ShadowLXIX, Nov 7, 2006.

1. ShadowLXIX

ShadowLXIX IncGamers Member

Melee build questions

Haha, you'll have to excuse my noob questions...the last time i played this game was back when poison was ridiculously overpowered, whenever that was.

So, i've decided to start up again for fun to kill some time and i have a few questions about a melee build. I want to max out pheonix strike and so as a result i have to max out fists of fire and claws of thunder. I also wanted to max shadow master but at this point i realize i have left out a lot of other skills. Since the vast majority of my skill points are invested in pheonix strike and its corresponding synergies how should i distribute my other skill points?

Mindblast is 1 point wonder-skill? What about claw mastery and tiger strike for all those elemental immunes in hell mode, plus i dont think i can max out a finisher either at this rate....synergies really has thrown me for a loop as far as balancing out what other skills i can manage with left over points.

I've read over a lot of other builds and they all seems to say minimize dex but if im going for a melee build wouldnt i be pumping dex/vit?

To dual claw or not. I like the idea of having more +skills from a second claw but then i need to invest points in weapon which brings me back to the dilemma of skill point distribution.

And lastly, i read in the IAS thread link that using dual claws does NOT hit twice when you use tigerstrike etc. but i swear it's wrong...i always notice that i have 2 charges after one swing using dual claws.

Much thanks in advance.

2. elvenswordman

elvenswordman IncGamers Member

Well:

People usually chooses 1 elemental type and max only that... Imo, you should max phoenix strike and claws of thunder only (leaving 1 point in fists of fire and blades of ice), because:

- It's the strongest elemental charge you'll get (claws of thunder). When you need the lite damage, use claws of thunder, not phoenix strike.
    - First and third charges of phoenix are easy to get, but usually (if u have nice ias) is hard to control your sin to stop on the second charge... So, when u need the fire or ice damage, use phoenix, but when u need the lite damage, go for the claws of thunder.
    - Usually, the fire charge will do the job when you get a phys and lite imune...
    - Use the ice charge for crowd control, most of the time...

Now you have points left to max other skills. You said you wanna max a shadow, fine! Get your 1 point in mind blast too! Choose your finishing move now... There are 2 very nice to use: DTalon and Dragon Claw (if you are going to use 2 claw... The only thing to consider when you get his choice is if you are going to max either weapon block - recomended - or claw mastery - do it if you can...).

There are other things to consider, like gear, etc... But i hope i helped with the start...

3. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

also deathsentry is very useful, and cos,

its a tough choice about c/c or c/w etc my advice... choose and stick with it...

4. ShadowLXIX

I dont remember but are there things that are phys, fire and lite immune in hell? And is it necessary to max a finishing move or would i be better off trying to max tiger strike instead?

5. elvenswordman

I said phys and lite imune only:
    But, if you are a lucky guy, you can find a fire/lite/physical imune... In this case, try your ice charge (you'll find it very slow and almost not effective), use an item wich casts "amplify damage" or "decrepify" on strike (atma's scarab, lawbringer runeword, reaper's toll, ...) or cast charges of the same curses, or (yet) run like the wind!

6. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

In the big scheme of things, there aren't many dual immunes in the game, and very few of them will be FI/LI. If you insist on wanting to kill even those rather than avoiding them (easy to do with MB/CoS), a one point DC or BF with ghetto weapons will kill most things eventually. There aren't any triple immunes outside of Tristram.

My favorite hc Phoenix chassis goes:

20 Phoenix, CoT
    10 FoF, Shadow (Warrior for me, SM works too)
    1-5 points in WB (assuming c/c)
    1 in everything else except Blade Shield which is optional, and WoI.

Additional points going into FoF usually, for LIs and boss killing. Other good options for a few more points are DS, MB, or Shadow. You'll notice I don't bother with more than one point in CM or a finisher. The gains from putting a few more in are pretty minimal, and I like letting the purdy elemental skills do all the work anyway.

If you're playing SC you could skip BF and MB too, but I wouldn't. They're too much fun.

7. ShadowLXIX

Couple more question offhand...what kind of merc should i be looking into? Since im melee i can see a rogue merc with BOTD being quite hilarious but im guessing an act 2 merc with an aura would be a better choice. If i get an act2 merc and i give him equipment that makes him have another aura (ie infinity) will that override his current default aura or will it give both? And for a melee sin would type of act2 merc would suit me best?

And im not much of a fan of DS, in an 8 person game corpse explosion is quite weak is it not?

thanks again!

8. Anti-Life

Anti-Life IncGamers Member

CE is weaker in multi player games BUT it isnt ment to really be ur main damaging skill anyways, mainly a corps destroyer rather than an uber killing skill (u want that get a necro and max it and watch how easy the pit in hell becomes :D )

it deals fire, physical and lightning damage also all in the 1 packet (lit damage is low if ur not heavily investing in it but still nice to have)

i say get it just to the fun of watching bodies go bye bye and the additional damage u will do., after all every bit counts in hell

9. elvenswordman

Have you seen the havoc DS cause in crowded monsters?? In cow games, a single DS can deliver death to a large number of cows: you just need dead bodies...

DS (corpse explosion, not lite) does damage equal an amount (40%~80%) of the life that the corpse had before it died.... When more people join the game, the monsters gains more life, so the DS damage will raise too...

10. ShadowLXIX

oh? I remember back in the day when corpse explosion was based off the hp of the enemy so necro's could tear through an 8-person hell mode game since hp increased and CE damage did too and so blizzard nerfed CE so that it was based off enemy hp as if there was only 1 person in the game no matter what...unless they've changed it back to the old way where as enemy hp increased with people so does CE damage...?

...and what what kind of merc should i look into?

11. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

The absolute damage stays the same, regardless of playercount.