Melee Amazon Builds?

Hadriel

Diabloii.Net Member
Melee Amazon Builds?

Hello.
I wish to create a amazon for 1.10, I want her to be a melee amazon (using two-handed spear). Could someone please tell me what the best melee builds are.
I will play on Battle.net and be killing monsters mainly.
Thank you.
 

Freyas

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd recommend using charged strike and lightning strike for a melee character, and have either Jab or Fend for dealing physical damage.
 

himeji

Diabloii.Net Member
As first spearazon char, you should go for the lightning skills.

If you're in for a challenge, max fend only, without points in avoid/dodge. I just solo-ed a spearazon to guardian in hcl, with only fend (no lightning skills) and 50% in the a/d/e skills. Valk and merc did the main killing. because in hell, you cannot tank with fend, due interruption of the fend cycle when you successfully avoid or dodge.

I used Stoneraven as endgame weapon. I also found maxing resist usefull, the cannot be frozen mod, and any defense bonus points on gear. In hell, I changed the holy freeze merc for defiance (boosting your defense).

I found the most difficult monsters to kill with this char: oblivion mages (iron maiden curse), succubi's (amp. damage curse), Lister's pack, and physical immunes. In contrast, Gloams, Ancients and Act bosses are relatively easy to kill.

Success with your build.
 

Hadriel

Diabloii.Net Member
I wanted to use Fend, because I think it's a very cool skill. I would need dodge, Evade, Avoid, you can't use them together?
I also would prefer to use physical skills rather than magical, because the magical ones have set damage. But I will need one magical to kill physical immunes.
Could someone please give me a skill distribution layout please.
Thanks.
 

himeji

Diabloii.Net Member
If I should rebuild, it would be like this

20 Fend
17 Valk
20 Critical Strike
20 Penetrate
20 Innersight

Skill point distribution is dependent on your endgame weapon, how safe you want to play, and type of equipment. As example, my endstats were as follows:

Strength: 123
Dexterity: 170
Vitality: 235
Energy: 20

Endgear:
- Helm: Valk wing (+2, Ias jewel)
- Armor: Duriel's (resistance jewel)
- Weapon: Stoneraven (shaeled)
- Ammy: Mara's
- Boots: Waterwalks
- Rings: rare ll, ml
- Gloves: Laying of hands
- Belt: String

Merc (defiance):
- Helm: Tal's mask
- Armor: Sazabi's
- Weapons: Reaper's toll

All resistances: maxed

Fend at 11/6 with 55 Ias.

I always add to Strength first to carry equipment, then points in dex/vitality. Starting nm at 45, hell at 75. Its important to level your merc at same level when you start hell. He needs damage reduction gear (gaze, tals mask, shaft), also a life leach weapon. Preferably, equip him with elite unique polearm or spear, or otherwise a (eth) Hone Sundan/Kelpie Snare.

As for which merc to choose, until hell, either act2 merc should be fine. In hell, for the more defensive route, I suggest to take the defiance/holy freeze merc, otherwise, use might.

Handling pi's:
- invest in bow skills (fire, immolation, or freezing arrow)
- use bow that has inherent elemental damage (kuko, witchwild etc.)
- use spear with elemental damage (or socket with perfect ruby, topaz or sapphire)
- a lower resist wand
- amplify damage mod on your equipment, merc's weapon

Check the amazonbasin forum for more info on how to build your spearazon.
 

Hadriel

Diabloii.Net Member
himeji said:
As first spearazon char, you should go for the lightning skills.

If you're in for a challenge, max fend only, without points in avoid/dodge. I just solo-ed a spearazon to guardian in hcl, with only fend (no lightning skills) and 50% in the a/d/e skills. Valk and merc did the main killing. because in hell, you cannot tank with fend, due interruption of the fend cycle when you successfully avoid or dodge.
are Avoid/Dodge/Evade completley useless for a Fendazon? You say that if you avoid or dodge it interupts the fend cycle, but wouldn't that happen anyway if you get hit?
Thanks.
 

Freyas

Diabloii.Net Member
Hadriel said:
are Avoid/Dodge/Evade completley useless for a Fendazon? You say that if you avoid or dodge it interupts the fend cycle, but wouldn't that happen anyway if you get hit?
Thanks.
If you dodge or avoid an attack when you're starting a fend cycle, you will go through the entire cycle with all of your attacks. However, none of these attacks will hit, leaving you in the middle of a group of monsters who are attacking you without leeching any life or being able to move until the cycle is finished. In hell, this will often get you killed due to the fast attacks and huge damage on anything. Having an attack interrupted due to getting hit still leaves you free to move or try to attack again.
 

Hadriel

Diabloii.Net Member
Freyas said:
If you dodge or avoid an attack when you're starting a fend cycle, you will go through the entire cycle with all of your attacks. However, none of these attacks will hit, leaving you in the middle of a group of monsters who are attacking you without leeching any life or being able to move until the cycle is finished. In hell, this will often get you killed due to the fast attacks and huge damage on anything. Having an attack interrupted due to getting hit still leaves you free to move or try to attack again.
Is that a bug? blizzard should really fix these bugs.
It seems the Spearazon is quite a weak melee amazon, she can't even use what few melee skills she has to help her.
I'll make a Paladin instead. Thanks anyway everyone.
 

eatbeef

Diabloii.Net Member
Hadriel said:
It seems the Spearazon is quite a weak melee amazon, she can't even use what few melee skills she has to help her.
I'll make a Paladin instead. Thanks anyway everyone.
you are so wrong, a javazon can be one of the strongest characters in the game. go totally lightning and rely on your might merc and valk to detroy the li you encounter. the only pally that can compete with the killing power of a javazon is a hammerden.
 

Hadriel

Diabloii.Net Member
eatbeef said:
you are so wrong, a javazon can be one of the strongest characters in the game. go totally lightning and rely on your might merc and valk to detroy the li you encounter. the only pally that can compete with the killing power of a javazon is a hammerden.
Sorry, I meant the spearazon really. Anyway I've found a good paladin guide and my paladin is doing great, I'm happy with playing with him. Thanks.
 

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member
too many palladins nowadays. there was the necromancer rage and now there's the pally rage.

the lightning skills and a few points into jab.
 

BladeRogerz

Diabloii.Net Member
Heres what I use and it works for me for melee pvp. Im aiming for a lvl 90 build and I will have something like this with an additional +8 skills...(im lvl 85 now) ((this is for using 102 skills at lvl90))

(this is with +8 skills added from equipment)
20 powerstrike (7116 damage, +344% AR)
20 charged strike (3036 damage, 8 bolts)
20 lightning strike (2425 , 29 hits)
10 lightning bolt
20 penatrate(+305% ar)
5 dodge
5 critical
1 jab(great for leech)

I dont care what anyone says it works for me very well and I have no prob vs pallys or barbs and i do good in PvM too. I use powerstrike as main skill in pvp usually and charged strike in pvm mostly. I have a great merc I dont use valk. Maybe bad idea..decoy would help alot actually.
 

spekkionu

Diabloii.Net Member
Lyrs said:
too many palladins nowadays. there was the necromancer rage and now there's the pally rage.

the lightning skills and a few points into jab.
Considering 1.09 was basically a giant Zon and Sorc craze I think it is only fair that other characters are getting their turn now. At least Zons require actually skill to play now for the most part.
 

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
This is what I use for my spearzon.

lvl 17 valk
Maxed charged strike
Maxed Lightning strike
lvl 10 lightning bolt
lvl 12 jab
lvl 1 inner sight, CS, penetrate etc

It works well anyway PvM even act 5 hell. Equipment is mainly rare/crafted items including weapon.
 
Top