Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Meditation and Spirituality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Smelly, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Meditation and Spirituality

So, yesterday as I was reading in my livingroom, propped on my loveseat, shoes off, shirt off, warm weather, window blinds open, and just enjoying the quiet time. Then all of a sudden, I sat up... and wanted to meditate. Could it have been from the book I was reading, where one of the characters is a monk and meditates? No, I assured myself it wasn't that. It's like, I just wanted to keep this feeling of serenity (which at that point I had destroyed), and meditation suddenly seemed so... intriguing. Any of you guys do any meditation, at all? Good recommendations, ect? I'm doing my own research (have been pretty much all day), and am finding the Chakras quite interesting.

2. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I meditate sometimes. I should do it every day, but it's hard to give up time for it. I also combine meditation with exercise when I do.

When meditating, I usually start by focusing on slowing my breathing, and feeling every trace of air as it passes in and out of me. I envision energy from it spreading out through my body in gradual waves (what you imagine is a lot more important than what really is). Then when I'm good and relaxed and my eyes are closed, I just sort of observe changes in light that my eyes see in the darkness. I'm not really sure what causes it, but I think it is fluxuations within your eye. I don't try to identify any shape or meaning to this change of light; I just take it as it is. I don't try to empty my mind because that takes too much intense effort to accomplish, and for someone as scatter-brained as me that is pretty much impossible anyways. I let the thoughts come and then I just sort of tell myself "okay" and let it go. If too many thoughts start coming in at once, I go back to focusing on the feel of my breathing.

3. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Awesome, Tech! I've always liked you, so more brownie points directed your way. Well, I was actully thinking about doing workouts and meditations close to eachother. Workout for 45 mins, meditate for nearly an hour afterwords, while I'm sweating and feeling all... PRIMAL.

Well, I used to box and get worked up afterwards, and now that I look back, some meditation would have probably made me a much better fighter. Thanks for the info Tech, I feel this will be a good change. I think too much as is, hehe. Just hope I don't lose story plots and such!

4. justray

justray IncGamers Member

Learned from the pros.

Hare Krishnas - T.M.

If you can avoid the religious aspects, it's great.

5. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

I just did chest, back and abs... working out to full potential (after having lost a lot, and I mean a lot of muscle mass)... and while I was meditating, I could not feel the burn. It was crazy. I set up candles, put a small towel on the floor, and just popped on down and meditated, trying to summon up colors in my otherwise normally vivid imagination. Before I realized it, I was just feeling so good. And now that I'm at the computer, I can feel my chest twitch with every letter I type. Ah, I'm a new fan of meditation, wonder why I never found it sooner.

:thumbsup: :flip: :thumbsup:

6. toader

toader Banned

Just dont get busted by the cops with the grass guys....
    :howdy:

;)

7. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Hahahaha! :lol:

I'd never touch the stuff, honest! I'm even allergic to regular grass!

8. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I'm glad it worked for you. I'll tell you the rest of what I do for exercise in case it is useful at all to you. I don't do any cardio, though, because I'm underweight already as it is and cardio would just make that worse. The exercise stuff is only roughly attached to meditation, in that it involves mental focus.

One thing I do is stand with my legs bent, kind of like if you imagine sitting on a motorcycle except that you have to use your legs to hold you up. This hurts after a little while because it puts your weight on the leg muscles instead of the bones. To focus on something other than the pain, I do heavy breathing exercises, staring straight ahead. With each breath in, I slowly pull my arms in, bringing my hands towards my face (palms towards my face). Sort as though I am pulling the air in. As I exhale, I turn my hands the other way and extend my arms outward slowly, as if pushing the exhaled air away. I do it with some tension in my arms. Watch some kung-fu movies and you will probably see someone do something like this either before or after they beat someone up.

If you want to add some arm strengthening in as well, you can fully flex your bicep/tricep muscles as you pull your arms in, which will put considerable resistance and will feel much like lifting weights. But if you do both of these at the same time (the leg part and the arm part), you will probably get worn out pretty fast, depending on how well you can concentrate on your breathing. The best aspect with using your own arm muscles as resistance is that the stronger your arms are, the stronger the resistance is, and so you save yourself the trouble of having to adjust weights. It's what my judo teacher taught me. I usually do these two parts separately, though. Well, when I do it at all, which is not nearly as often as I should.

9. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Sounds like it could work up a sweat, which is always nice. Sweat during weight lifting, sweat during meditation... sweeeeet.