Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Median XL: Sigma?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by fearedbliss, Aug 23, 2016.

1. fearedbliss

fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member

So I found out about Median XL: Sigma today. It seems Sigma is actually a new and advanced engine for Diablo II that some of the Median XL people have been writing. Since it's new, they basically have made it so that current engine limitations in Diablo II are overcome.

Copy/Pasted from the intro of the post:

Median XL: Sigma
    Something that has for long been a myth for many people (including myself) is finally coming together. In this topic I'll try to explain what sigma is and what makes it so special, as well as some of the new changes / paradigms involved in it and how it has evolved throughout the years. Median XL: Sigma is basically a co-op project between me and whist. But... what exactly makes this patch any different to other ones?

It uses an enhanced engine. To briefly explain this, imagine Diablo II as an old building with people living in it. What median does is, change the people living in it, their clothes, etc. It adds new people with new patches and it removes people who behave badly. But there are limitations, some rooms have too many people in them, and things can get messy. The enhanced engine (or core, from now on) is the main feature of sigma, and what this does is replace the stairs with elevators, makes the rooms bigger, and a lot of other things that would normally not be possible.

Core Features
    So, there are a lot of new features that are possible thanks to this new core. For example:
    • Increased game resolution
    • Addition of extra areas (*)
    • Addition of new affixes / stats
    • Improved Interface
    • Bounty System (similar to D3)
    • Automatic gold pick-up
    • In-game drop filter
    • Time events

Read more here:
    http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1148

Awesome screenshots of Median XL with this new engine here:
    http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=276

What you guys think? I think that if Blizzard doesn't announce a Diablo II HD remake in this BlizzCon, then this will definitely be the future of Diablo II in terms of actual meaningful updates. Having a new engine just opens up so many more possibilities.

2. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

I am on the fence on this and the other D2 works that are going on currently. On one hand, I'd love to play the snazzier looking variant. Wicked cool graphics are a blast. However, it sounds like the cost is ditching the current D2 project I have going (getting a 99'er, finishing the grail, actually finishing other characters....try hardcore someday).

Maybe one day I'll venture out...

3. fearedbliss

@Friiser I've been playing Grim Dawn and Dark Souls 1 atm. Even if I never play Median XL, It's always interesting to see what they are up to.

4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx Diabloii.Net Member

Sigma has been 'in development' for many years. It's likely never going to be released.
    ( been hearing that release is just round the corner for like 5 yrs lol )

5. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I would love D2 with improved graphics. On the other hand however, by this time I'm so used to these old graphics that I certainly don't mind either, and having better graphics might even take away from that nostalgic feeling for a bit.

What I'm afraid of that will happen, when I hear about projects like Sigma, is that we'll get far better graphics, but at the cost of some of the gameplay we have come to love about D2. 'More features' doesn't necessarily mean 'better gameplay', and I'd take old graphics / old gameplay anytime over improved graphics / worse gameplay.

That's why I'm still hoping that Blizzard themselves will release a HD version of D2, leave gameplay almost completely as it it, and only get rid of the bugs that have been known for years now. O yes, and maybe some QoL changes like being able to craft in batches, have a 'run' button, ...

6. knightmarewraith

knightmarewraith Diabloii.Net Member

@T72on1 it's easy enough to toggle run on and off as you wish, why do you want a "run" button?

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

7. fearedbliss

The word Sigma has been used for many years, but after the shift in what need to be done and all, it was actually announced in March 2016. There is a historical outline with dates and descriptions on the site.

@T72on1 Median XL is not D2, it's running on the D2 engine but it's a completely different and independent game so definitely don't look at it as D2 or as having D2 gameplay. Also the gfx for Sigma and D2 are the same because of the engine, however, the "better graphics" is not really about higher resolution textures, but more about redesigned graphics. Like a more modern looking inventory, even though the sprites and artwork/textures are still running on that old school d2 engine look.

8. T72on1

Sorry, I didn't express myself well. I actually meant a 'move' button. D3 has it, probably a lot of other rpg's have it too. It's meant to avoid situations where you want to move out of a hairy situation, but accidentally click on an enemy, start attacking him and get into real trouble, possibly causing death. This may not sound like much, but I played HC almost exclusively in D3 and once I got used to it, I couldn't live without it.

@fearedbliss Thanks for the explanation.

9. knightmarewraith

knightmarewraith Diabloii.Net Member

Ah ok like holding "F" (default key) for Grim Dawn?

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

10. T72on1

I was thinking there was a button like that for GD, but since it's been quite a while since I played that game, I wasn't sure anymore. But yeah.