Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Me getting scammed READ

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by cccp is cooler than you, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cccp is cooler than you

cccp is cooler than you Banned

Me getting scammed READ

Well literaly like 10 minutes ago i almost got scammed, what happened was this person made a game called giving away free account, then he said he wanted to quit diablo blah blah he didn't want to give it to a noob and that you could check your ladder number (even if you werent in the top 1000) by basicaly going to a private world and typing in some random command. The command was /dnd european ladder "your account name" "account password" (or somthing along those lines it was similar to that at least) and i realised it was a scam because first of all dnd means do not disturb mode. Then secondly the password and account name thing (if anything it should be character name). So i did what he said just to see how he did it but i typed a fake password (it was "chickensfun", lol my password would never be as meaningful as that 8-p) and then of course it turned on do not disturb mode but he then wispered me and asked me what my account number was (of course i didn't have one so i made on up) and then he called me a liar and that cause i lied he was going to punish me, then he some how knew my fake password and whispered "chickensfun" to me.

How the f*ck did he know that??? if Someone plz tell me how he did that or tell me if you've had a similair experience.

I hope by posting this i stopped a bunch of noobs like me being scammed and maybe some diablo vets.

2. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

Re: Me getting scammed READ

What ever you type after the /dnd command will be shown to anyone who whispers to you. In this case "european ladder *your acc *your fake pass".

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

When you are in the /dnd mode, whenever someone tries to whisper you, a "do not disturb" message pops up, with your reason for the dnd right beside it. Thus, he whispered you, and got your accname and password as "reason for dnd".

EDIT: Pwned.

4. cccp is cooler than you

I see ty for helping now maybe i can try and scam some one like this :), however i do haveone more question in dnd mode people can't trade with right? Does this stop you hearing whispers and what people are saying?

5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Ok, your post is answered by the above so I'll forgoe answereing about it being one of the oldest scams in the book.

So let's get on to the part where the forum moderator gives you a friendly warning:

Do not bypass the word filter or swear on these boards, as it violates forum rule number one.

Second warning, we do not support scamming or cheating (this loosely falls under Rule #5) If you want to scam someone, you will find yourself no longer having a forum account here.

Please reread the forum rules and abide by them.

http://forums.diabloii.net/rules/

6. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Also might want to read the stickies. Then you would have found this tidbit that answered your original issue.

Watch out for Scams

7. catalogguy

catalogguy IncGamers Member

Same thing happened to me last week. Said he was going away to college and would not have time to play and was going to give me some godly gear. then asked me to type as you described. I just left the game, but I was thinking it would have been fun to create some fun password as a message to him! Good thing you knew better than to comply.

8. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

I don't really get the people who scam/cheat to get stuff in this game... Or any game for that matter. You just ruin it for yourself as well as the other fella imo.

Could you tell me, cccp, your reasoning behind this kind of thinking? "Wow, I'm so lucky I didn't just get scammed! That would've felt really bad! Now, let's see if I can use this scam on someone myself..." Now I know that you may think it's just a game and many people who scam do think like that, but then I suspect that most people get 'scammed' enough in real life so they play games to 'escape' from it for a while... It's just a lose-lose scenario to me basically: you lose your self-respect (if you had any) and the value of all your legit stuff goes down the drain, and the other guy loses his good items and good mood and may even become a scammer himself simply to have 'revenge' (Oh, the humanity... What a bright way of thinking! :rolleyes:).

I dunno, it seems like a rant so I'll stop now. If cynicism wasn't such a lame form of self deception I might resort to it again one of these days... But even then I would never try a scam to 'brighten my day', so to speak. :soapbox: :flowers: :wave:

9. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Think of scamming as an in-game equivalent of stealing. Is stealing legal IRL? No, it isn't, it's prosecuted. Is scamming legal in-game? Well, there are no set rules (well, there are the ones issued out by Blizzard for D2), but gosh it's as amoral as stealing IRL.

I help my friends mule HR's worth of stuff, and I am not even TEMPTED to pick them up and keep for myself. I simply accept that they're not mine.

10. cccp is cooler than you

omg I actuly can't belive so many people took my joke about using this trick to scam people seriously :p honnestly what kind of _______ (since im not allowed to swear) would try to scam someone after they had been scammed and know what its like to scammed. seriously i thought people would have a better sense of humour. Bujesus christ!

11. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Sarcasm and "joking" are extremely hard to pick up through forums. Everyone has to take what you say at face value, since we can't "see" you the hints gathered through body language, facial expression and such are lost.

12. Drakaan

Drakaan IncGamers Member

Yeah, hate scammers like that its ridiculous. Anywho luckly you didnt fall for it completely. the /dnd trick has everyone going. Usually people use /away not dnd

13. cccp is cooler than you

whats /away ???

14. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Ok, final warning.

The Forum Rules.

Read them.

Then you will understand why the joke (if it was a joke) was not taken as one.

CCCP, this is the final warning, so please decide if you wish to continue posting here without insulting people or posting in the way you have been doing do, or is you wish to be shown the door.

15. cccp is cooler than you

??? What did i say???

16. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Review your posts.

The language you use in them is crude at best.

For example, the swearing - which you were warned about. Then there's the the off color/racist wording in some posts is going to get you in trouble if you keep it up.

Please leave words like that off the forums.

You may be angry with what happened, but language like that is not allowed here, regardless of if it's straight out, or with an *,%,$,# or something in the word.

Some of your posts tend to be a bit disrespectful towards other members, while they may not be flame posts or direct insults, they are rude. You have had the dame posting habit since you joined these forums, as I remember warning you months ago.

You had the same posting habits back in September and were warned about it them. You are still posting in the same manner now and have gotten more warnings.

No more warnings.

Please cease with the rude posting habits,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.