Me and My Cold Facet - Advice Please

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Me and My Cold Facet - Advice Please

Hello All!

Some months ago I created a Blizzballer as my first real SP character. My plan for her was simply to MF some basic gear. She started with a Spectral Shard and an Ancients Pledge, (gear which I had found with a Windy I'd tried out last year sometime and gotten bored with).

I Mf'ed NM Countess, Meph, E/S/P, and Baal until she was level 80 at this point I moved on to Hell Andy and the Ancient tunnels and Mf'ed these until I was level 84. All along the way her gear was changing with the goal of more Mf and more damage while keeping reasonable life, resists, and blocking. A few days ago I finally found Tal's Ammy (my first ever... yes, even in my time on the Realms) to go along with the Mask and Belt. Finally I decided it was time (and safe) to move onto Hell Meph. I've run him maybe 50 times and he's dropped absolute crap for me so far until late last night he dropped me a Cold Facet (seriously, I haven't even found a non eth Skin of the Viper Magi yet and I'm finding Facets)

So after that long and involved story my question is this. What should I do with my shiny new Cold Facet?

I want to put it in this Sorceress' Oculus for 3 reasons:
1) My merc gets beat up pretty bad by Meph, so the faster I can kill Meph the better (less Juvs). And leaving the Merc dead isn't and option because I require his Insight.
2) I have no other characters that deal cold damage at the moment and don't have plans to make one in the next 4 months or so (with the possible exception of a Freezealot).
3) I've got it and I wanna use it NOW!.. Childish I know.

I consider her to be in her end game gear with the exception of her boots (Infernostride) and her armor (Eth Viper) which will eventually be replaced with a non-eth Viper and at that point the Viper will either get a Um, or a Ptopez depending on her resists and survivability.

Of course she is just an Mf Sorc after all, and will never do anything other then run Andy, Meph, Pindle, and possibly Baal (one day, if she is up to the challenge), and I expect that I might eventually build specialized characters for each job, but that wont be for a year or so.

So I'm interested in what you guys think, should I put the Facet in the Occy, or is there some glaring reason I should not? Can you think of a better use for it?

Thanks
-hps

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
If you really want to use it now, and not planning to create a char which can benefit from cold facet, then go on and use it.

I am on the same track as you are on, have created a pure blizz sorc a few months ago and planning to run meph/pindle with her to outfit my other chars.
I also have only an eth viper (no non-eths) but the facet i found was a poison one =P pretty useless for me for now.

What are the stats on your facets btw, a +%5 damage would do some significant change i suppose. I had a naj's armour for +skill on my sorc, then found a +3 firewall ormus with +%15 cold damage, the added damage pwned the +skill and i am using the ormus as a result, hoping to find one with +3 blizz :)

Also i think the merc is essential for pindle running, but i just do meph runs without it and keep 2 rows of mana pots instead (not that i can have insight, playing vanilla), i suggest don't bother with the merc if it is hard to keep him alive, use moat trick if you need to stop meph from running around

EDIT: keeping a cold facet till i find a death's fathom would be what i do but only if the facet is a perfect one, at least the damage part...

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
What are the stats on your facets btw,
Oh right. It's a 4/4

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0xd9d3d345
Adds 24-38 cold damage over 0 seconds
100% Chance to cast Level 37 Blizzard When You Die
+4% to Cold Skill Damage
-4% to Enemy Cold Resistance

-hps

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
stick in your occy and then next run kick yourself so a perfect deaths fathom drops next run(sods law)

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
First, don't stress about finding only junk in 50 meph runs. Sometimes he's just stingy. Tomorrow you'll get two EU's in one drop :badteeth:

Definitely stick the facet in the Occy. Esp. since the facet isn't perfect.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Definately put it in the occy, there are many way better things to socket weaps/armor for freezealot, but not really anything better for a sorc weapon. By the time you find a fathom, you will have plenty more facets to put in it.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
I have no advice on the facet, I'll leave that to others, but I do have a comment on your end-game gear remark.

Why Viper with an um ?

Tal's armour is Better for an MF Sorc I believe as is has MF (**%) and you get a further 65% from 3 Tal items. The resists are pretty nice too.

You can always PToaz or Um that if you need too.

DM

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
Why Viper with an um ?

Tal's armour is Better for an MF Sorc I believe as is has MF (**%) and you get a further 65% from 3 Tal items. The resists are pretty nice too.
Presumably, he doesn't have Tal's armor since he said this was his first real SP character and he was justing starting to MF. Tal's armor is great, if you have it! And the full set is fantastic as well...

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Dark Matter said:
I have no advice on the facet, I'll leave that to others, but I do have a comment on your end-game gear remark.

Why Viper with an um ?

You can always PToaz or Um that if you need too.

DM
To be honest it's not something I had even considered or thought about, I've never been a big Tal's fan (mostly because I've never had the whole set). I looked into it just now and there are 2 major reasons I can see for going with the Viper over Tal's armor.

1) FCR. I love it. Falling below the 63% FCR breakpoint is unexceptionable in my opinion and without finding a really nice FCR Amulet and 2 really nice FCR rings I don't see it being very easy to stay above it without the Viper.

2) Availability. Mephisto can apparently drop a Viper 1 in 600 some odd kills while it appears that he isn't even capable of dropping Tal's armor at all. So I expect to have a number of Vipers to throw around before I come across 1 Tal's armour.

Certainly if I ever find one I will put it on and see how I like it though, thanks for the idea!

-hps

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Definately put it in the occy, there are many way better things to socket weaps/armor for freezealot, but not really anything better for a sorc weapon. By the time you find a fathom, you will have plenty more facets to put in it.
I disagree, I found the fathom (unfortunately a low end one, 18%) before finding plenty of facets (by now I have five in total (distributed over four variants), of which only one is cold/die, the rest are other elements)

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
I disagree, I found the fathom (unfortunately a low end one, 18%) before finding plenty of facets (by now I have five in total (distributed over four variants), of which only one is cold/die, the rest are other elements)
It's pretty random- I have 16 facets total and no Death's Fathom, so my experience is different from yours!

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
To be honest it's not something I had even considered or thought about, I've never been a big Tal's fan (mostly because I've never had the whole set). I looked into it just now and there are 2 major reasons I can see for going with the Viper over Tal's armor.

1) FCR. I love it. Falling below the 63% FCR breakpoint is unexceptionable in my opinion and without finding a really nice FCR Amulet and 2 really nice FCR rings I don't see it being very easy to stay above it without the Viper.

snip

-hps
OK: I might be reading this wrong, but ...

Lidless eye: 20% fcr
Guardianship Plate (+10% fcr 2 items)
Mesh Belt (+10% FCR 3 items)
Ammy (+10% FCR 4 items)

That's 50% FCR. So you only need a further 13% to hit your breakpoint. You could do that with a circlet, or 2 rings.

You also get nice bonuses if you go full set and add the helm

Have you read The Truth about Tal's Set Thread? It's an interesting read IMO.

@purplelocust: I was commenting on Hp's thoughts on his end-game gear for his MF Sorc.

DM

galtzaiLe

Diabloii.Net Member
Doesn't occy add +30% FCR too?
From AS (since i don't own one):

One-Hand Damage: 18 To 42 (30 Avg)
Required Level: 42
Durability: 50
Base Weapon Speed: [10]
(Sorceress Only)
+3 To Sorceress Skill Levels
+5 To Mana After Each Kill
All Resistances +20
25% Chance To Cast Level 1 Teleport When Struck
30% Faster Cast Rate
+20 To Vitality
+20 To Energy
+20% Enhanced Defense
50% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

Tal's armor, ammy and belt + Occy + Lidless Wall = 70% FCR

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
She is an MF sorc, so she's using a Rhyme shield, and I don't have much plans on changing that. So I was thinking 30 from Occy, 10 from the Tal's belt and Ammy, and then a potential 20 more from Rings, making 60% (just shy of the mark).

What I was forgetting was Magefists for starters (which is silly of me because she is wearing them right now). And also for some reason I was thinking that I had to continue wearing Tal's mask to get the 10% from the set. Both these mistakes were skewing my opinion.

So yeah, I can definitely see how Tal's armor would be better then a Viper as far as end game gear goes, you guys convinced me.... now I just have to find one!

Thanks for the advice by the way everyone! That goes for the Facet, and the Armor advice. I've decided I'm going to put the Facet into the Occy

-hps

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Tal's armor, ammy and belt + Occy + Lidless Wall = 70% FCR
well, you can put lidless wall onto full tal's too, and get %70 FCR with much nicer extra mods. Especially the extra damage to cold and -resists on lidless eye are very nice, it also has a nice sound with lidless wall :tongue:

i think that there are only 3 reasons for a sorc not to wear tal's set

1) you are going for single elemental sorc
2) you do not have the items
3) you hate the glowing effect of the full set

i personally hate the glowing effect but nevertheless i will go with the full set for my tri-elemental sorc, when i finally do some progress with her...

EDIT:
She is an MF sorc, so she's using a Rhyme shield, and I don't have much plans on changing that.
I also don't use Lidless Wall for MF oriented sorcs, but instead of Rhyme shield, i prefer Splendor Runeword as long as i am not going for max block. I can live without the resists if i am careful enough, and the +10% FCR on it can be used by adding a MF Apprentice ring (+10% FCR) and then swapping the magefist with chanceguards. You might say the extra mf from chancies can't replace the resists but i also aim max damage as much as i can and that makes +1 to all > +1 to fire (i might have said differently if we were talking about meteorb sorc).

Splendor Runeword [2 Socket Shields Eth + Lum]
+1 To All Skills
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+20% Faster Block Rate
+60-100% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+10 To Energy
Regenerate Mana 15%
50% Extra Gold From Monsters
20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+3 To Light Radius

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
My +5/-5 cold facet is placed in my MF sorc's Occy. Also Tal's amu+armor+belt is imho the best combination for MF Blizz sorc (with Occy and Shako and Lidless/Spirit) The 25 MF from rhyme isn't worth the +1 (2 on spirit) skills and FCR.

galtzaiLe

Diabloii.Net Member
She is an MF sorc, so she's using a Rhyme shield, and I don't have much plans on changing that. So I was thinking 30 from Occy, 10 from the Tal's belt and Ammy, and then a potential 20 more from Rings, making 60% (just shy of the mark).
Remember that you only get 10%FCR from the Ammy wearing four items at the same time ;)

well, you can put lidless wall onto full tal's too, and get %70 FCR with much nicer extra mods. Especially the extra damage to cold and -resists on lidless eye are very nice, it also has a nice sound with lidless wall :tongue:
Agree, with as far as i know, he doesn't own the full set yet :p