Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MDR and PDR?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Brave_turtle, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Brave_turtle

Brave_turtle IncGamers Member

MDR and PDR?

Hi guys,

I heard to be good with ES you have to throw in MDR and PDR.

How much do you need and what is the difference between PDR and %DR?

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Cant really tell you any numbers to use, so I'll leave that to the others.

The difference between %dr and pdr:

%dr cuts of a percentage, if someone hits you for 1000 damage and you have 50%dr, you take 500 damage.

pdr cuts off the given number, no matter how high damage you take. If someone hits you get hit for 1000 damage, and you have pdr by 30, you take 970.

pdr might sound far worse, but then, you can combine... Also, if you play pvm, pdr is more useful than you think. For example, if you get high pdr, you can virtually walk safe in the jungle areas in act3, where there are lots of monsters giving a small amount of damage each.

3. Brave_turtle

Thank you for reply. I may be wrong but %dr doesnt work with ES doesnt it?

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

I wouldn't know, but that for sure sounds like a reason to use pdr with es. Dont take my word on it though.

5. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

DR% lowers physical dmg after ES, so it's not really that effective.

6. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Like so many things in this game, it depends on what else you've got going for your build, and how you intend your build to perform.

If you are able to pre-buff a slvl 40 ES that gives 95% of damage re-directed to mana, then all you really need is The Gladiator's Bane (socketed with a Sol) and Gerke's Sanctuary. Ideally, both should have near perfect DRx and MDRx. That should ensure that you take no loss of life in the majority of circumstances.

If you are casting an ES which is lower than slvl 40, then you need more DRx and MDRx to ensure no loss of life. The lower the slvl of your ES, the more DRx and MDRx you need. Unless if you are happy to sustain some loss of life, in which case you do not need to increase your DRx and MDRx to compensate for a lower ES slvl.

LorveN has explained the difference between DRx and PDR%. I only need to add that after ES, DRx (and MDRx) is next. After those two, PDR% and resistances are next. So if you have a slvl 40 ES and enough MDRx, you can get away with negative resistances. As for PDR%, that is a mod which is barely useful for dedicated ES builds.

EDIT:
    Read this thread: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=503129

7. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

The idea is to have ES absorb 95% of the damage and then let PDR and MDR completely negate whatever's left. %DR can never completely negate any amount of physical damage because it's a percentage capped at 50% (just like resists alone cannot negate elemental damage).

Say you're hit with the same 1000 physical damage.

950 * 0.75 (assuming you maxed Telekenesis) = 713 gets taken from your mana bulb, leaving 50 damage to your life bulb. If you're wearing at least 50 PDR, you take no damage (but you still lose the 713 mana).

Say, instead, you're hit with 200 damage (more reasonable for PvM purposes).

190 * 0.75 = 143 gets taken from your mana bulb, leaving 10 damage to your life bulb. Now you only need 10 PDR to negate that.

Note also that this calculation happens before your physical resistance (%DR) is taken into account, so it doesn't matter if you've got 50%DR or are cursed with Decrep or are cursed with Amp, you will always take the same 143 damage to your mana bulb and you will always negate that 10 damage to your life bulb.

8. Brave_turtle

Whoa you guys are amazing!

I usually have 20 in telek but 1 in ES only. Is MDR and PDR still good?

9. FrostBurn

That depends on you. It also depends on what slvl ES you are casting, whether you want to completely negate all damage received or whether you are happy to sustain some damage, the areas you are running and the amount of damage monsters do to you, whether you are able to fit in sufficient DRx and MDRx and still have enough FCR, resistances, +skills, etc.

If you want a solid answer to your latest question, you're going to have to tell us what your current gear is, how you intend to fit in DRx and MDRx, the purpose of your sorc and the areas you plan to run, as well as how much mana and life she has.

10. Brave_turtle

I'm using:

Griffon
    mara
    spirit
    hoto
    coh
    arach
    frostburn
    rare boot
    soj/wisp

I have max resist about 2800 mana and 1300 life. I am mainly PVM and usualy at baal throne. I'm asking about the MDR and PDR stuff because I just traded a perf magi with perf MDR.

Do you think its worth to lose 1 extra skill and +20 str for 13 MDR? How good is 13 MDR by teh way

11. FrostBurn

Assuming you can cast a slvl 40 ES, you'll still need roughly 40+ DRx and roughly 35+ MDRx to completely negate any damage to your life.

For your build, I wouldn't give up CoH for Vipermagi. MDR by 13 isn't going to make you invulnerable to elemental attacks.