Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Maximum to Magic Find ?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Jemme, May 7, 2005.

1. Jemme

Jemme IncGamers Member

Maximum to Magic Find ?

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a maximum to magic find. I read a thread the other day which stated that if the percentage goes beyond 700% it would revert back to 0%.

I have a Sorc + Merc that have 717% MF combined. I use an Isted Ali Baba en Rhyme on switch for kill and ket the merc kill the boss.

Will this mean I only have 17% instead of 717% or is this just another bogus story floating around on the forums ?

2. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

just another story

max mf would be somewhere around 1000 % and a lil bit, but if you get these items you are so rich you dont need to mf any more :p

3. Jemme

Jemme IncGamers Member

I found this formulae in the Facts & Formulae Archive ... Uniques: Final MF = (MF*250)/(MF+250) ; cannot exceed 250 ... Is this formulae still ok when calculating MF. Or is more MF allways better and never ever capped as you just stated?

4. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

hmm never heard of this formula...

what i know that there is a dismishing returns point somewhere around 450 % mf, from there you get alot less % to find magio items for your % mf... but the more is always the better

only question is, since over 450 % wont help you ALOT, do you get better whit less mf and faster killing speed or dosnt the extra mf make you die more often or kill less fast.

edit : just found the link : for all the answers, go here : http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/magicfind.shtml

quote :

Magic Find Returns
    While there is no cap on Magic Find there is a diminishing return formula (that is not available) that becomes active over 10% Magic Find for Rare, Set, and Unique Items (But Not Regular Violet (Blue) Magic Items). This does not mean that it's useless to get over 10% but it does mean that the benefits drop off as you get higher and higher Magic Find. The most Magic Find is still better than less Magic Find.

(when i said 450 % that s what the community here thinks is good balance, as far as i know )

5. Jemme

Jemme IncGamers Member

So its a question of speed vs mf which makes 450% an ok number. But more mf on a character still icreases its chance on a better drop.

I think I will keep it like it is than since my runs on Meph and the Countess take about 6 minutes in all at the moment which isnt to bad I think.

Txs for your help on this :)

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's like that for uniques only. For set items, replace 250 by 500, for rares it's 600 and for plain magical MF isn't altered like that at all. The effective MF with respect to uniques, sets and rares will never surpass 250/500/600 (which can be mathematically proven when applying a little high school math), but the more MF you have, the nearer you will come to these numbers. IMO it stops to pay off significantly at around 300MF, but that's a matter of taste and your typical MF targets. The tougher they are, the less MF you can afford to wear.

It's not a matter of MF alone. The higher (MF+100)*kills/time will be, the better.

7. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

For any single specific kill, more mf is always better. The formula displays the effective magic find based on the amount you have on your gear. 800 mf of gear is better than 700 mf of gear. 700 mf of gear is better than 600mf of gear. Etc...