Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Maximum resist

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Lazy_BerZerker, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

Maximum resist

Hey everybody, I was just wondering what is the maximum that a char can have of following:
    -% cold res (I guess a sorc tops that)
    -% fire res
    -% lightning res
    -% poison res

With all available items, and only with the char that can get the maximum. Afterwards I was just wondering how much resist it will take to be able to stack ALL resist, and still have 95% is that possible in any way? Or just with 75% res? I'm not talking about stacking a single res, I'm talking about stacking all res ;)

Hoping for fast, and good replies :)

BTW: Equiptmet examples (if it is possible to outstack all resist) would be nice ^^

2. PoorCobbler

PoorCobbler IncGamers Member

items like guardian angel can increase the max possible resits to a max of 95

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Normally you have 75% maximum, but as you know, there are items which add to maximum resists, although it's capped at 95%. Guardian Angel adds 15% to all max resists, so you will have 90%. There are a lot of items which will give you the extra 5% needed to max it. Examples: Together with GA, Thundergod's Vigor gives you 95% max lightning res (and lightning absorb as well - GA+T-God's is a very popular combination), Andariel's Visage gives you 95% max poison res (and 75% poison res as well as IAS and +2 to skills - very useful for zons and pallies), Waterwalks gives you 95% max fire res and Snowclash gives you 95% max. cold res.

A paladin can also add to maximum cold, fire and lightning resists by adding to the corresponding resistance auras - 4 hard points per 1% IIRC. 95% is still the maximum, however. On top of that, there are items which have elemental non-poison absorb, like T-God's (lightning), Raven Frost (cold) and Dwarf Star (fire), as well as items that decrease poison duration, like magical or rare amulets.

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

For the passive bonus it's 2 hard points for 1% max, and when the aura is active it's 1 hard point per 1%.

5. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

umm sorry for my bad english I guess :p because you guys didn't answer on what I thought I was asking about ^^

I'll try again :) Question 1: What is the maximum of -res can there be to cold/fire/lightning/poison,
    and my second question is: is it possible to outstack not only one form for elemental attack, but ALL elemental attacks with 75% resist or even with 95% resist?

In this way you should be able to battle a sorc with high -% res from cm, infinity and so on, and still be able to outstack it, and also on the same time be able to outstack a necro using lower resist, with poison nova, eventhough the lower resist would also lower your cold resist (I know this takes lots of resist, that's why I'm asking if it is possible in any way) <--- that was only an example :)

Hope I got my 2 questions out right this time :D and thx for the replies so far :)

6. krischan

Hehe, RTB always has a look on my postings which are full of half-truths :) That's my way of learning things ;)

Q1: Resists won't go any lower than -100%.

Q2: You mean you want to have extra +resist stuff, so you have let's say +30 in excess of the usual 75%, in case you get decrepped or something ? Yes, that's possible - in fact that's what my Baal runners do. However, that will be very hard versus cold sorcs. Absorb will work better, I guess. I suggest to use two Raven Frosts in addition to +cold res items.

7. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

40% cold absorb = damage / 5
    It is better than 75% all res, but not nearly as good as 95% all res ^^

Hmm I still don't think I have got my point out :p okay I'll come with my examples, and then you can come with maybe better examples ^^

To outstack the maximum amount of -res vs cold first:
    The sorc will gain -5% cold res pr. lvl of cold mastery, and will have it maxed of course.
    Helm: Either +3 cold skills or -15% cold res from 3 facets (it should be the same in -%res)

Amulet: +3 cold skills = -15% cold res

Weapon: I guess doom would give the highest -% cold res = -57%

Armor: 4 socket with 4 facets is the highest? = -20%

Shield: Also 4 facets? = -20%

Gloves: 0% I guess

Rings: Soj/BK = 2+ skill = -10%

Belt: = Arachnid? = -5%

Boots: 0% I guess

Charms: 10 cold skillers I guess = -50%

Anni: 1+ skill = -5%

Helper = Infinity = -85%

Totally this will be -(57+20+20+lvl 40 Cold mas+85%) = -182 - 215 = 397% cold resist, and then with anya quest (guessing you won't die) and you want 75% all res this will require 397% + 75% + 70% = 542% cold res, and then you should be sure to have 75% cold res, and if you want 95% res you will of course need 562% cold res.

But that was only one resist, and my question is, is it possible to create a char with any equiptment, that will be able to outstack all elemental attacks? This will mean you would need 542% cold res, and probably less poison/fire/lighning resist.

EDIT: After rereating it I noticed I forgot +skills from doom, and the chance of Lower resist charges.

Doom provides +2 all skill, and lower resist gives about -50% all res, so you will actually need 542 + 50 + 10 = 602% for 75% all res, and 622% for 95% all res, and you'll have to rejoin everytime you die of course :p

8. krischan

...except if your resistances get massively reduced. A cold sorc with let's say L35 cold mastery (which is not hard to achieve) reduces your cold mastery by 265%, i.e. from 95% plus 70% excess to -100%. That means you could as well wear no +cold res items at all. 40% cold absorb comes into play after resistances, so it will still reduce cold damage by 80%.

9. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

If I undestand you right you say: Leave it at -100% m8 ;) but this will give damage / pvp reduction * absorb reduction * 1/2 = 2*damage / 30 = damage / 15, with outstacked resist, and absorb you would have damage / 120 and with both maximum resist, and absorb you would have damage / 600 and with just outstacked resist it would be damage / 30 which is the double of only absorb, but okay I'll admit absorb is way easier to get, and fills a lot less in the equiptment spots, but that isn't what this thread is about :p but I guess I'll just give up :-( I can't make my point anyway :S

thx for replies all

10. krischan

I don't know if it's allowed to exchange equipment before a duel etc. If yes, you will leave away coldres stuff and put on dual Raven Frosts versus cold sorcs only, of course. Overstacking will pay off versus decrep, amp and to a certain degree even versus conviction, so it's very useful in PvP.

I'm not doing any PvP, so this is just what logic tells me. It's not founded by any practical experience ;)

11. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

yeah... :p but I don't like the changing items part either so that's why I was wondering if it is possible to outstack ALL res versus that highest -%res an opponument can get :) if it is you would be hard to kill ;) and probably being having a hard time killing other :D