Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Max or ED?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Relativity, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Relativity

Relativity IncGamers Member

Max or ED?

I am planning on building a LLD/Pk charger (forgive the "cheese") focused around a rare lvl 12 ethereal great maul i've recently aquired (45+% ED on the maul). I was wondering if it would be more effective damage-wise to socket everything with 20% ED jewels or with 8-9 maxes. I'm going put the jewels into a 4 socket gothic plate and 3 socket crown.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
    -Relativity

2. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Double00Bubble would know this as he made a calculator for this sole purpose.

Basically, if I understand it correctly, the answer for most characters 18 or under is max jewels all the way!!!!

3. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

Yes, and theres a simple reason for that, because at low levels theres not much damage to enhance without max jewels in the first place. Ed is only effective when you have a big amount of damage, go max all the way specially for the LLD's/pks. Good luck, im making an level 18 one

4. CoWa-Avatar

CoWa-Avatar IncGamers Member

ok so i got this 4 open socket etheral war hammer ... 30-45 i think with no level requirement it seems to me that it would be better to do ED than max I dont know

5. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

20% ED jewel in the weapon = +6 min and +9 max in this case if I understand the 1.10 math correct...

As soon as a % ED jewel nets you more then the simple +9 max, ED is the way to go. But I don't know exactly how it works with ED jewels in weapon vs armor any more.

/Magnus

6. evils

evils IncGamers Member

take an ethereal pike, socket it with 6*20% ed, get a second one and socket it with 6*9max jewles.. take a look at the difference..

so basically, if you are using a weapon with low base damage, go with max jewels. on the other hand, when using a weapon with a higher base dmg(such as eth pikes/great mauls etc) you will most likely benefit more from 20% ed jewels.

//Johnny

7. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

ouch, don't do that- that's a whole lotta useful jewels :p

8. evils

evils IncGamers Member

lol :D you get the point ;)

//Johnny

9. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Well, my calc was made for 1.09, but as far as I know, the mathemathics regarding a charger hasn't changed have them? Anyway, a small run down (which probably surprises many). I'll assume a build and give the "best" numbers for you. Tell me if I'm way off:

* 8 sockets (7 from armor/helm +1 in weapon)
    * Unsocketed max/min dam: ~83-126.
    * strength: 89, just enough for the maul.
    * +ed from skills (charge + might): ~250+
    * average on max damage jewels: 8
    * average on +ed jewels: 19%
    * "outside damage" from items: guessing BF with +5 min dam?

This build would deliver the highest max dam, ~851 (PvM) with 8 MAX dam jewels. For the highest average dam, ~646 (PvM), two max dam jewels and 6 +ed jewels should be used.

So, for highest max dam (PK likes that), you'd want only max damage jewels in your gear. The reason (everyone saying high base dam weapon nets better with +ed) is, that you get massive +ed from charge/might. That massive +ed works, in this case, better on an even higher base dam weapan/sockets!

Now, of course I could be off on your build, but if it's something similar, then it should be on the spot.

Good luck!