Max Energy Shield + Max Telekinesis Sorceress?

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
Max Energy Shield + Max Telekinesis Sorceress?

Hey, Everyone,
How's it going? I used to play Diablo 2 over four years ago, and specialized in Druids and Sorceresses until I quit. Last week, I returned to Diablo 2 and found a whole new world, as I left in 1.09 and things have changed dramatically since then.

Energy Shield has been one of my favorite skills for a long time (I experimented with how Energy Shield works alongside other people and posted our findings here years ago), and I started looking into it again. I am big on unique builds and tend to find new builds that most others have never thought about. If my memory serves me correctly, I was one of the first successful max-blocking legit PvP sorceress back in early 1.09 (using Whistan's shield and then Stormshield later on), in a time when many people in PvP games and this forum laughed about pumping dexterity for sorceresses.

To make a long story short, I am planning to max - that is, put 20 skill points into - Energy Shield, as well as Telekinesis. I am not sure if such a build is already available (a search in this forum didn't turn up any results), and if such a build already exists, please let me know.

A level 20 Energy Shield absorbs 75% of damage (as noted here), and Telekinesis helps as a bonus for Energy Shield in the following way:
Each point in Telekinesis makes Energy Shield's damage absorption more effective. By default, for each point of damage absorbed by Energy Shield, 2 mana points are deducted - a 200% ratio. Each hard skill point in Telekinesis makes Energy Shield 6.25% more effective. For example, with 8 points in Telekinesis, 1.5 mana points are deducted for each point of damage absorbed - a 150% ratio. With 16 points in Telekinesis, one point of damage absorbed equals one point of mana loss - a 100% ratio (as noted here).

If I created a sorceress that pumped Energy instead of Vitality (I will still add Vitality points, just not to a great extent), and invested in both Energy Shield and Telekinesis, does anyone think it would be a viable build? With items that have +1 Skill Points on them, Energy Shield could easily absorb 90% to close to 100% of the damage, and not much Mana would be lost when the sorceress gets hit because of the high Telekinesis level.

Please let me know what you think about my Magical Buffer (Energy Shield/Telekinesis) sorceress (just thought of the name a few seconds ago). I will most likely make it a Frozen Orb Magical Buffer sorceress, but this little piece of information isn't too important at this time.

Thank you in advance,
-=MaStA ViC

draffut

Diabloii.Net Member
I've seen quite a few sorcs with maxed ES chugging blues in public duels, so yea, they're still out there. Incidentally, there's just a topic about it here that was posted a few days ago. The build still exists, such as this one. I am unsure how up to date / outdated it may be, however.

Beware Open Wound barbs, however.

Kind of expensive, as far as I know cause you'd need some Light skillers for lvl40 ES to block 95%.

Orber could work I guess. 40 points for the defensive, Orb being un-synergy intensive may not be a bad choice. Alternatively, you could try a light sorc, since you'll probably have a ton of light skillers, but light sorcs are synergy intensive usually :undecided:

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey, draffut,
How's it going? Thank you for your input as well as the two threads you linked to. I was able to find the thread titled "How are these sorceresses tanking like this?" while searching for this topic yesterday, but did not find the other one. Both made for a very interesting and informative read.

Would this build be viable for a PvM sorceress? What would you change about this build? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thank you,
-=MaStA ViC

draffut

Diabloii.Net Member
This post by Lyrs describes a way to pre-buff ES to 40'ish without sinking that many hard points into it. The problem is that the base 4os staff with natural +3 ES staffmod alone needed for +9 ES Memory would be ridiculously hard to find, since nobody bothers to pick them up and stock them, and you can't shop for them since Runewords don't work in Magic Items. Still, for PvP, where I guess it's all about efficiency, it would be viable. At least the gear described is generally stuff you'd wear anyway (Arach, rings, ammy, etc). Depending on build, only thing you may need to switch manually would be the body piece.

As far as PvM goes, if you're playing on Ladder, I would highly suggest a build from the Lightning Tree. "Infinity" Runeword allows a Sorceress to carry around a lvl.12 Conviction Aura with them, that can break many (not all, but a significant amount) of Lightning Immunes in the game. Meaning a single-tree sorc becomes more viable to solo herself in Hell. And you of course, get the double benefit from the Lightning skill Grand Charms.

If you do go that route, as Lyrs suggested, a Nova sorc is not synergy intensive, unlike Lightning/Chain Lightning. I'm, of course, biased toward that build because my fondest Sorc has always been the days of playing classic cows, post-LoD, and murdering the zone faster than anything else.

A forewarning, Infinity is a decently expensive Runeword. Ber Mal Ber Ist are all High Runes, and I'm not sure if you left any wealth for yourself when you quit to come back to. If you can't quite swing the Infinity yet, no big loss, but I suggest you look to a non-Nova build in that case. A synergy based skill like Lightning or Blizzard or Meteor would probably serve you better in that case.

Memory is pretty cheap, and I suggest you get one for weapon switch buffing even if you can't find a +3 staffmod, you'll still get +6 on it, which is better than any other weapon/shield combination you can get. You can get all the Runes necessary for that with a couple of PGems no problem. Most of the other gear for Sorc probably isn't too hard to come by, except Arachmid Mesh which is decently pricey.

If you're not going Infinity, by the way, you get your weapon and shield slots back for fast cast, meaning you can hit the Breakpoints easier without the use of your body piece. Nowadays, many if not most sorcs use Skin of the Vipermagi for the 30 fast cast and the nice resists. If you're not toting around Infinity, you can reach the 105 BP quite easily (weapon, shield, Magefists, Arachnid Mesh, Jewelry and head if need be) without using Vipermagi. And since resists now apply AFTER ES, they aren't _as_ important to a ES Sorc. Which frees up the slot potentially to use something like Gladiator's Bane, which in PvM, can nearly nullify the 5% of damage that DOES go through lvl40 ES.

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
draffut, wow. I don't think I can express how much I appreciate your reply and your help. It has been a long time since I have met a person who has dedicated that much time and energy to answer a question in these forums. Thank you so very much.

I haven't thought about the Runeword Memory in a very long time, and I will try to get ahold of a 4-socket staff that has +3 additional spell of Energy Shield when I do my Baal runs. I cannot yet afford Infinity, so I will stay with my Frozen Orb sorceress for the time being. I am able to get wealthy rather quickly, simply by collecting all runs and doing Countess runs in Nightmare Difficulty (can't yet do it in Hell Difficulty, unfortunately). By transmuting all runes, including low runes such as El Rune, I am able to get high runes, although it takes a bit of patience.

I have read your reply twice and will probably read it again to make sure that I've understood everything. Thank you, once again!

-=MaStA ViC

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
I was just reading the "Energy shield explained v1.1" guide found in Diabloii.net's The Strategy Compendium (link), and the following concerned me:
Q: So if you get a level 32 telekinesis you’re losing no mana through energy shield?
A: No, it only works with actual invested points, so level 20 (1:0,75) is the limit.
That guide was written for version 1.10 of the game, and now we're on version 1.11, so I was wondering if that has changed. Unless I am understanding the answer incorrectly, it means that only base points, and not points from items, work for Telekinesis, right? I didn't know it was like this.

Thank you,
-=MaStA ViC

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
Correct. Telekenesis is a synergy to EShield. All synergies work this way.
I had no idea. Just to make sure I understand this, can I provide an example? Ice Bolt is a synergy for Frozen Orb.

Scenario A: I have 20 base points in Ice Bolt, and 5 points from items that goes to Ice Bolt (for a total of 25 points). Does this mean that only 20 of those 25 points actually matter?

Scenario B: I have 15 base points in Ice Bolt, and 5 points from items that goes to Ice Bolt (for a total of 20 points). Does htis mean that only 15 of those 20 points actually matter?

Thank you,
-=MaStA ViC

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Only hard points into a synergy affects the skill that should gain bonuses. (Or base points, as you refer to them as)

From your example, you can have as many +skills as you want, you still only gain synergy bonus from the points you have clicked into the skill yourself (= a maximum of 20)

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you for the confirmation. Since I somewhat have a shortage of skill points, I guess I should put more of them into Telekinesis than Energy Shield, since items can help boost my Energy Shield skill points but items won't help my Telekinesis skill points (since I'm using it to provide a synergy bonus for Energy Shield).

Thanks again!
-=MaStA ViC