max/ed jewel question

max/ed jewel question

max/ed jewels..do they work in non-weapon items for both the max to damage and the ed????? I have been told they dont...thus that would mean those jewels dont work right.

TPMdm

Diabloii.Net Member
They worked in non-weapons in 1.09 and I hadn't heard that had changed. People were putting those things in armour all the time in 1.09

Armor_Biff

Diabloii.Net Member
I put a 17% ed / +10 min jewel in a shield. Only my minimum damage got a boost, so I would say no, they dont work anymore in armors, helms and shields.

rex ruthless

Diabloii.Net Member
i think the jewels will still work, but they may work differently...

for example, Aldur's set has a complete set bonus of +350% damage, but it's not on the weapon so it works a little different...

here's what the Areat Summit says about the set bonus:

"Aldur's Watchtower - The 350% Enhanced Damage is on the complete set, not on the weapon. Enhanced Damage from non-weapon equipment works like Enhanced Damage from skills and the strength bonus, which is different from how Enhanced Damage on the weapon works. Essentially, the 350% ED will add 350% of your weapon damage to your total. With a 60-93 damage weapon, that means the 350% Enhanced Damage will add 210-325 total damage. This is really not very significant, but it's not a bug, just a balance issue."

but if that's how ED works off of non-weapon sources, i'm not really sure how it works when it's actually on the weapon being used...

so yeah, i think it's supposed to work, but not very well... there are better things to put in your helmet, armor, and shields than ED jewels and whatnot.

Thrugg

Diabloii.Net Member
I am wary about answering this one because I do not have a %ed/+max jewel to test it out myself. However, I have heard from numerous sources that if a jewel has both +min/max and %ed, the %ed does not get applied in the damage you see in the character screen, if you socket it in a non-weapon item.

At the same time, the character screen is well known to be wrong quite often so it may be a display bug and you could actually be doing the right damage. Such things are hard to test out.

If there is a bug, it will probably be fixed on the realms eventually (off-line players get shafted again). Until there is more official word I would be hesitant to socket an ed/max jewel off-weapon.

dirtynegr0

Diabloii.Net Member
I use ed/max jewels and when I use them I can see both the min and max dmg go up accordingly which means they are working. I have used in both helm and shield with no problem.

SCaVeNGeR

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

Well, I noticed this some time ago, i tried it out with 2 armors, 1 156%//57 max armor and a 156% ed armor. My friend's polearm barb did more dmg with the plain ed armor than with the ed//max armor... So something weird is definatly going on, i just don't know what it is.... Maybe someone else would know...

SCaVeNGeR

Armor_Biff

Diabloii.Net Member
It may be a display bug afterall. Tonight I noticed that it works just fine with mercs. Mine has a helm with +2 min damage and 16% ed and it looks like both mods are working. I removed and put it on several times while checking the damage just to be sure.

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
Err i know this is an ancient thread :p I wanted to post a new thread but this one popped up under search ^^ Is this issue resolved by this time via tests? Yes i recalled ed/max off weapon working in .09 but these days anyone could verify?

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
The information in this thread is from a time when nobody knew details about the bug yet.

The bug hasn't been fixed yet. A %ed/max jewel will only apply the %ed to min dmg when it's put into an armor/shield/helm while a %ed/min damage applies its %ed to max dmg only. When inserted into a weapon, these jewels work normally.

BTW, the weapon is normally the better place for %ed than a non-weapon if you don't need IAS on the weapon. Most melee/missile characters have something like 1000% off-weapon from auras, skills, stats and equipment while on-weapon %ed usually is in the 250-400% range. If you have the choice, balancing on-weapon %ed and off-weapon %ed will produce the best result.

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
Sweet and thks Krischan ^^ I was thinking of saving jewels like that for a nice rare elite weapon if i get lucky hehe