Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

max/ed jewel question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by dead munkey, Jan 28, 2004.

1. dead munkey

dead munkey Banned

max/ed jewel question

max/ed jewels..do they work in non-weapon items for both the max to damage and the ed????? I have been told they dont...thus that would mean those jewels dont work right.

2. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

They worked in non-weapons in 1.09 and I hadn't heard that had changed. People were putting those things in armour all the time in 1.09

3. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

I put a 17% ed / +10 min jewel in a shield. Only my minimum damage got a boost, so I would say no, they dont work anymore in armors, helms and shields.

4. rex ruthless

rex ruthless IncGamers Member

i think the jewels will still work, but they may work differently...

for example, Aldur's set has a complete set bonus of +350% damage, but it's not on the weapon so it works a little different...

here's what the Areat Summit says about the set bonus:

"Aldur's Watchtower - The 350% Enhanced Damage is on the complete set, not on the weapon. Enhanced Damage from non-weapon equipment works like Enhanced Damage from skills and the strength bonus, which is different from how Enhanced Damage on the weapon works. Essentially, the 350% ED will add 350% of your weapon damage to your total. With a 60-93 damage weapon, that means the 350% Enhanced Damage will add 210-325 total damage. This is really not very significant, but it's not a bug, just a balance issue."

but if that's how ED works off of non-weapon sources, i'm not really sure how it works when it's actually on the weapon being used...

so yeah, i think it's supposed to work, but not very well... there are better things to put in your helmet, armor, and shields than ED jewels and whatnot.

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I am wary about answering this one because I do not have a %ed/+max jewel to test it out myself. However, I have heard from numerous sources that if a jewel has both +min/max and %ed, the %ed does not get applied in the damage you see in the character screen, if you socket it in a non-weapon item.

At the same time, the character screen is well known to be wrong quite often so it may be a display bug and you could actually be doing the right damage. Such things are hard to test out.

If there is a bug, it will probably be fixed on the realms eventually (off-line players get shafted again). Until there is more official word I would be hesitant to socket an ed/max jewel off-weapon.

6. dirtynegr0

dirtynegr0 IncGamers Member

I use ed/max jewels and when I use them I can see both the min and max dmg go up accordingly which means they are working. I have used in both helm and shield with no problem.

7. SCaVeNGeR

SCaVeNGeR IncGamers Member

Hi,

Well, I noticed this some time ago, i tried it out with 2 armors, 1 156%//57 max armor and a 156% ed armor. My friend's polearm barb did more dmg with the plain ed armor than with the ed//max armor... So something weird is definatly going on, i just don't know what it is.... Maybe someone else would know...

SCaVeNGeR

8. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

It may be a display bug afterall. Tonight I noticed that it works just fine with mercs. Mine has a helm with +2 min damage and 16% ed and it looks like both mods are working. I removed and put it on several times while checking the damage just to be sure.

9. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Err i know this is an ancient thread :p I wanted to post a new thread but this one popped up under search ^^ Is this issue resolved by this time via tests? Yes i recalled ed/max off weapon working in .09 but these days anyone could verify?

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The information in this thread is from a time when nobody knew details about the bug yet.

The bug hasn't been fixed yet. A %ed/max jewel will only apply the %ed to min dmg when it's put into an armor/shield/helm while a %ed/min damage applies its %ed to max dmg only. When inserted into a weapon, these jewels work normally.

BTW, the weapon is normally the better place for %ed than a non-weapon if you don't need IAS on the weapon. Most melee/missile characters have something like 1000% off-weapon from auras, skills, stats and equipment while on-weapon %ed usually is in the 250-400% range. If you have the choice, balancing on-weapon %ed and off-weapon %ed will produce the best result.

11. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Sweet and thks Krischan ^^ I was thinking of saving jewels like that for a nice rare elite weapon if i get lucky hehe