Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

+ Max Damage

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by theBanger, May 28, 2008.

1. theBanger

theBanger IncGamers Member

+ Max Damage

Will plus to max damage (say from charms) only add to your max damage or will it add to the total damage you do? The question just popped into my head and I can't find an answer.
    just an example of what I'm asking, casue I don't know what I'm talking about:
    iF a weapon does 10-14 dmg
    a) the total dmg is 10-17 dmg?
    b)the dmg is still 10-14 but rather then doing 14, it does 17?
    also say the damage isn't from charms, How will it work then?

2. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

Re: + Max Damage

Charms with add to max damage will (of course) only add to the max damage of your weapon (ie. your weapon deal 10-20 dmg and you put a +3max damage SC in your inventory -> weapon does 10-23 damage). This add to max damage will be modified by other factors like fanatism aura for instance, making the add bigger.
    Charms with add to minimum damage will only add to the minimum damage of your weapon, unless the minimum will get higher than the max, in which case it adds to both min and max (ie. your wapon does 10-12 dmg and you equip a charm with +1 min -> weapon does 11-12 dmg. You then equip another charm with +2 min -> weapon does 13-13 dmg.).
    Don't allways trust the damage shown in your character sheet - it may (or quite often is) inaccurate.

If the adds to max/min damage is from jewels or Ith/Sol runes, it will work in exactly the same way as stated above. The only exception is max/min damage jewels socketed in armor - there is a bug, that in some circumstances makes them work unexpectedly. You can search this forum for some threads on it, as it is kinda hard to explain.

Regards Tom

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's option a. Maxdmg charms increase the damage range of a weapon, after %ed on the weapon is applied, but before off-weapon %ed comes into play (auras, str, dex, skills, %ed on other equipment).

Jewels with %ed together with +maxdmg are bugged on non-weapons, their %ed will only be applied add to mindmg (respectively the other way around with %ed/+mindmg jewels. They will work normally on weapons.

4. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

I read the question differently.

+max and +min damage that is not on your weapon will not change the min and max damage visible on your weapon, but will change the min and max damage values for your weapon that are used in the damage formula.

5. theBanger

theBanger IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help. So from what I understand, my total damage would become 10-17 with a 3 to max damage small charm. But another question just came up in my head (I'm just flowing with curiosity), deadly strike, and critical strike make so that I will hit for my max damage x2, will this still effect the charm? Using the same example, Would I crit for 34 dmg? or would I crit for 28-34 dmg?

6. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Damage calculations: (This applies the same way for minimum and maximum damage)

• Minimum Damage = (BaseItemMinimumDamage * (1 + OnWeaponED%) + plusMinimumDamage) * (1 + OffWeaponED%) * Modifier

• Modifier: x2 for critical strike/deadly strike
    • OffWeaponED%: ED% from statbonus, skills, auras, and ED% on gear
    • OnWeaponED%: ED% on the weapon itself

The same formula works to generate maximum damage. Ethereal items have their BaseItemMinimumDamage multiplied by 1.5.

Based on the way you are asking questions, you might want to think of the formula like this:

• Minimum Damage = (DisplayedDamageOnWeapon + OffWeaponPlusMinimumDamage) * (1 + OffWeaponED%) * Modifier

• DisplayedDamageOnWeapon = BaseItemMinimumDamage * (1 + OnWeaponED%) + ONWeaponPlusMinimumDamage