Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Max Damage Charms in PvP? Useful?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by lingpanda, Jul 1, 2010.

1. lingpanda

lingpanda IncGamers Member

Max Damage Charms in PvP? Useful?

How useful is it to stack Max Damage charms in PvP? I mean, let's say you have 20 of those 3 Max Damage/Random AR small charms.

Is that 60 damage really helpful in pvp? Or am I better off going for just life charms? Note that I can't just go for 3/20/20's since I'm not that rich.

Let's say I have decent damage and decent life. So not desperate need for one versus the other. And AR is moot.

So for me to be more effective in PvP, should I look for charms that give life or charms that give max damage? This is in the point of view of any melee build - ww, wolf, frenzy?, concentrate, etc.

2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: Max Damage Charms in PvP? Useful?

I'm not understanding where AR is moot. For skills like conc, it's a melee duel and you want to hit their high defenses.

Frenzy is likely a caster killer thing, but even they can have high defense (if you're frenzying a hdin or something)--same with WW, except that can also attack smiters.

In terms of just damage, it does make a difference, though not a big one compared to what your axes do already.

I can understand being expensive, but then again, you don't need the perfect ones anyway ;) 3/some ar / any life do fine, especially when having a bunch.

3. lingpanda

Oh, I didn't mean AR doesn't matter. I just meant as far as this discussion goes, I don't want to add that into the equation. I am mostly doing BvC, too. So I have pretty decent AR when it comes to that anyways.

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Twenty plain Small Charm of Vita will give you roughly 850 - 950 life with a BvC. Twenty plain Fine Small Charm will give you roughly 200 - 400 extra damage. I personally would probably take the life.

5. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

If you are a bvb then go x37 3/ar/20 scs. Very expensive though :(

6. lingpanda

Ah, thank you. I was looking for some numbers.

I agree with you that ~900 life is probably better than ~300 damage. But when you take deadly strike/critical strike into the equation, that 300 damage becomes 600 extra damage, right?

So 900 life vs 600 extra damage is what I'm looking at? But even then, the 900 life still seems better.

Any other opinions? Thoughts?

And 3/xx/20 would be the most ideal. But for someone not very rich, I don't think I can get a lot of these.

7. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Yeah, 600 damage when you crit, but don't forget that PvP Penalty (/6) and any %DR also hasn't been accounted for.

8. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

always, always, ALWAYS look for +Life on BvC charms before any other mods.

a plain 20 life SC is better than a +3max/20ar plain sc.

personally, seeing as i can't get a full set of 3/20/20s on my BvB, i use any size max/ar/life charms i can get, with the emphasis on +life. after i've used all my max/ar/life charms, i load up on plain ar/life charms. if i run out of charms before running out of inventory space, load up on plain +life charms.

9. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Against casters you shouldn't be worried about additional damage and ar when you consider elemental/magic damage is your primary threat, and most casters will have limited to no dr and easily broken def. 3/20/20's are ideal, but when being practical life easily weighs out on importance.