Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Max Block vs Max Vit observation

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by NomadicDragon, Feb 26, 2004.

1. NomadicDragon

NomadicDragon IncGamers Member

Max Block vs Max Vit observation

I started my first max block CL/FO sorc a few weeks back, after never ever touching Dex on any of my previous sorcs...and I have to say I'm having mixed feelings about it.

Max Block is good and all, yes. I'm sure its saved me a few times against melee attacks, and prevented a few hairy situations with ranged attacks.

But its not working good enough for me. If I get hit by a Melee attack, I didn't move fast enough, esp if I have Teleport. If I get hit by a Ranged attack, I was either unlucky or got lazy.

Max Block helps on those, yes. But when I'm walking through the Great Marsh(or anywhere) and suddenly get hit by 6+ (unblockable) lightnings from Gloam-type monsters and die instantly, I'd MUCH MUCH rather have put that 100+ points into Vit to have enough life to have time to hit a full rejuv!

2. Apologetix

Apologetix IncGamers Member

yea i know how it feels.. im currently debating whether or not i should go with mac block on my sorc.. none of my sorcs ever had max block so i dont know what i should do.. i hear people talk about how valuable it is.. but i like the big life pool idea much better.. im torn.

3. wind

wind IncGamers Member

When you start making a max block sorc you have to concentrate on getting your life and resists up there too. So far only my skellimancer can go running around the WSK with just over 600 life, wouldn't try that with a sorc.

I first found a very good success rate around 750 life and max resists, now after just playing and upgrading charms and gear, the sorcs around 950.

Perhaps another thing to keep in mind, the above is with a FO/Meteor sorc with synergies in FO, going with +6 skills. Which would be a little more deadly than a CL/FO sorc at similiar levels. Most players would admit the quicker you kill monsters the easier the game becomes.

4. AndyChrono

AndyChrono IncGamers Member

Hmmm, 100+ points into Vit doesn't give you the same boost as other chars since a sorc only gets 2 life per point. Just get a bunch of life charms. My blocking sorc has over 1k life which is more than a lot of non-blockers have. This is without Call To Arms mind you. Generally, you'll live 300% longer against physical damage things. If I had say 300 more life for 1.3k life, I'd only live about 30% longer against elemental anyway. So the end result is just to get good resists and life charms. Then the blockingg sorc will really pay off.

Another thing. If you have quick enough reflexes, use occulus with your blocker. The Gloams' attack has a small amount of physical damage which triggers the occulus teleport. This generally will save you from taking 6+ hits all at once. This is because the Gloam attack is also bugged in that in hits 5 times or so, resulting in an almost certain occulus teleport. But you have to be quick to avoid getting hit by other crowds. Occy might buy you the extra second or two to drink a fat juvvie.

5. Rpgdragon

Rpgdragon IncGamers Member

Andychrono, would you mind posting how many points you put into vitality?
    Thanks

6. AndyChrono

At level 91 I currently have 150 pts in Vit.

7. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I have to agree that blocking alone doesn't cut it, you'll definitely want decent life and resists. My lvl85 Block/Shuttle/Telesorc ist at 1004 Life, that's with only about 40 life from charms. 165 str, 195 dex, 292 vita, 60 ene, 75% block, 80/75/85/75 resists and 70% fcr / 40% fhr for safe teleporting.

8. UselessOne

UselessOne IncGamers Member

The main problem with blocking is that there is still a 25% chance to hit. One shot kills or mana burn are still possible. Sorcs have bad hit recovery rates and while they can reach a pally's block rate, maximum block just never seems to work as well on a sorceress as compared compared to a pally.

Remember that many ranged attacks (Serpent Magi for example) are unblockable.

9. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Ventilator...I gotta see your gear setup...maxed resists, and maxed block at clvl 85? wow.

The stats u list are impressive..i'd like to see the details of your build, if you don't mind posting...

-X

10. AndyChrono

Err what are you talking about? Paladins have the same 25% chance to get hit that any other class does. The reason "blocking" seems to make paladins godly is because almost all of them use holy shield, giving a tremendous defense boost, making them nearly unhittable. Make a 75% blocking paladin what has just 1k defense or lower and you'll see that the blocking sorc is just as effective as the paladin.

The fact that sorcs have bad hit recovery rates is all the more reason to use blocking, since the blocking animation is much much faster than hit recovery. While it is true that a non-blocker will live longer against unblockable attacks, IMO the trade off is more than worth it. With 75% block, the blocker has 300% more the effective HP against blockable attacks. Against unblockable attacks, the non-blocking sorc will only have about a 30% advantage in life (assuming 1k life on blocker). Many many unblockable attacks are resistable anyway, giving the blocking sorc 75% resist to elemental/poison damage, and what is basically 75% physical resist. I dunno about you, but for me the difference is just staggering. Whether its for PvM or PvP.

P.S: Serpant Magi attacks are pretty easy to dodge and simply won't stun any sorc that has even decent life.

11. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I don't mind at all:

Head: Peseant Crown (20 Vit, 20 Ene)
    Ammy: Rare +2 Sorc, 13res all, 52 fire res, 38 Life
    Armor: +1 Arcaine's Valor (42 Vit)
    Weapon: Wizardspike (90 res all) [socketed with 5ene, 15res all jewel]
    Shield: Gerke's Sanctuary (48 res all) [socketed with PDia]
    Belt: Thundergod's Vigor (20 Str, 20 Vit)
    Gloves: Immortal King's Forge (20 Str, 20 Dex)
    Boots: Waterwalks (15Dex, 51Life)
    Rings: 10%FC, some resists, str, mana

Currently get around 10 Str and 10 Dex from charms.

That's currently +4 to all skills, +2 Arkaine's and a Harle would help here, Defense with Merc aura on is more than 7k, more with Shout of course. The straight MDR from Gerke's and PDR from Arkaine's and Gerke's are very helpful.

Skillwise:

Max Orb, 1 CM, Prereqs
    Max Charged Bolt, Lightning Mastery, nearly maxed Lighting, 5 Statik, 1 TK, 1 TP
    1 Frozen Armor
    1 Warmth
    No Energy Shield (got only 555 Mana ^^)

5 Lightning Skill charms, 2x5fhr from charms

She is lacking some killing power, but it's a lot of fun to throw an orb, static stuff down and tele right on top of single monsters to spam CB :)

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Important with Blocking:
    1. Get the fullblock % from your Shield
    2. Get some FHR gear! 30% allover does wonders.
    3. Get FCR items +63% FCR is fine.

Also around 900 Life is always good, unless you are using Lightning, base energy is fine too.

I found the blocking build to be very effective. Du to sufficient FHR i did not get into stunlock often and overall the blocking saved me from getting hit alot more than not. The additional elements are important though!

To Teleport safely you will need +62% FCR and above. You can possibly do without FHR.

Just imagine this without block. Instead of getting into a stunlock (sometimes) you'd possible be dead :D

A VIT-only build will certainly work aswell. I have seen highlvl sorcs based on VIT around and they are doing very fine with base life of 1400+ and no block at all. Apart form investing points in VIT also get charms and items that provide life or vitality.

With my current lvl90 setup i reach:
    72% block (upgraded visceratuant with PDiamond)
    Res is 68/58/75/-17
    Using Wizzy instead of Occy would give me a bit less killing power but full res. also using items with +% max resist help alot.

The difference between 75% resist and the max of 95% is huge! even 80% make a difference. Palas running around with 95/95/95/95 are practically invincible to Black Souls or can at least take a beating from them long enough to kill them all.
    Add some MDR of say 20 and you will go "Uh, was that a Black Sould or a shortcut in my powerline?" :p

Current setup:
    shako
    tal amu
    occy
    tal armor
    visc
    magefist
    tal belt
    ravenfrost
    soj
    rare mf/res boots
    anni

13. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Meli

What shield/weapon combo do you use for tping, and what do you use for mfing?

-X

14. melianor

Tping: Occy/Visceratuant/Magefist or Occy/Lidless +20FCR from Tals armor/belt/amu

If you dont have that extra FCR make that Occy/Lidless/Magefist
    Anything that makes me reach 63% FCR or more.!
    Count in FCR Rings/Amu/Skin of Vipermagi....

MF: IST Alibaba (a basic Alibaba is cheap to get, almost give away item)/Rhyme
    Used Gull/Rhyme for a while too.

15. JpM

JpM IncGamers Member

wtf i have 200 base vit , and im goin for max block with ss, maybe i wont hit the 75 but ill get at least 70%, not a big difference , i have 135 base str , base mana , and growing in dex, only thing i dont know is if i should pump a bit str, because i have a hel ss its ok but if i want a um ss soon i wont be able to put it on so ill keep stats points in bank , im lvl ** btw

16. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

This is excatly the reason why I thnk Enigma is an excellant Sorc armor. The +Str not only allows you to carry a Stormsheild to obtain max block and max PDR, but also save you a ton in Str that you can then invest in Vita.

My lvl 76 Meteorb carries this combo, and has around 800 life, and I still gave 160 attribute points left. Out of the total of 285 more Attribute points I will have available to me until lvl 99 (if I get there, that is), 47 will go into Dex for max blocking at clvl 99. The rest of the 238 point will go into Vita, ultimately givng me alost 1300 life. This is all before CTA, I haven't even touched that yet.

So, you can have the best of both worlds, and THAT is why IMHO Enigma "pwnz" :lol:

'shed

17. melianor

*cough* enigma *cough* expensive? :D
    If you can afford it, go for it!

18. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

Why yes it is relatively expensive, but I have seen enigma dogged against CoH and even Vipermagi for a sorcy armor I felt the need to express my opinion :D

Besides, a SS isn't exactly cheap ;)

Anyways, as pointed out it is not cheap, but it isn't 100% unobtainable either. We all started somewhere, and it is just a matter of working your way up.

'shed

19. Harby

Harby IncGamers Member

With 135 base it sould be quite easy to hit 156 for SS. Anih + WT / Sandtrek / Marrowalk would get you there. I guess Marrowwalk would be the best (up to 20 str and 17dex cant be found on other boots). Or maybe try get a maras (if not already have one) for its +5 dex/str as well as its other godly mods. I usually plan beforehand what I will wear to optimize my stats efficiency. And till you get the desired items you could always get some str/dex from charms.

In general with so many items giving dex on a sorc I find max block a much better option than max vita.

P.S. My sorc is currently lvl91 totally twinked (check Sasjas wishlist on his meteorb guide to get the point) and I understand that max vita might be an easier task to complete with lower setups.
    P.S.2 : I LOVE MY SS ! :)

20. Harby

Harby IncGamers Member

I have a minor disagreement on that. Sure Enigma is a GODLY armor but how about resistances ? I doubt you can achieve max res with enigma (wizspike is not a option here ;) ). What i am trying to say is that indeed with enigma you will have something like 250-300 more life but with resistances around 30-40 and not 75 your life will drain a lot faster (elemental attacks are everywhere these days...) so I am possitive that CoH is the best armor for sorc (you dont need tele, do you ? :scratch: ). If you can achieve full res with enigma and ocu I would love to hear your setup if you dont have a problem with that.