Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

max block or life?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by IKeepDying, May 19, 2005.

1. IKeepDying

IKeepDying IncGamers Member

max block or life?

I'm currently building a skelemancer, which is intended for solo hell w/ baal. Using a homunculus and not very many life charms, would you suggest getting max block or all to vitality?

2. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Max Block. Reason: 2 Life points per 1 Vitality point isn't a lot.

3. rawrj

rawrj IncGamers Member

but if you have a nice armywith you and enigma your skeles/minions become yourmeat sheild so block wont matter that much

4. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Burning Souls are a good example of monsters where your meat (? where's the meat on a skellie ?) shield doesn't help. Otherwise, yes.

DelBoy

5. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

I always go full vita with my summoners. Mainly because they dont need to block very often with all the minions around them.

6. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I'd say Vita with Enigma, max block if you're not expecting to get Enigma any time soon.

7. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

on HCL, my summoners (3) went all vita. they were all untwinked, and all actually solo'ed Hell.

on SCL, my summoner (only 1 reached lvl 80+) went 75% blocking. He was able to solo hell at lvl 75, though he did that only for some most difficult quests like Hell ancients.

What I did was opposite to what many hcl/scl players have believed. but all of them did an equally good job in Hell. At least, none of them has ever died when questing through Hell.

So, in this case, blocking or not in PvM is just a personal preference. Either way should work.

PS-

blocking or not makes 1 important difference (only 1 is relevant, I believe):
    - a 75% blocking necro wastes stat point in dex.
    - all vita necro wastes skill pts in bone wall.

my all vita necros survived Hell in HC, with 1.2K+ life and at least 2xx b.a. absorb at lvl 80.
    my blocking necro survived Hell in SC, with 6xx life and perhaps 60 absorb at lvl 78 when he killed 3 Hell ancients for the first time.

8. cracked sash

cracked sash IncGamers Member

With the Humunculus (a 72% block shield) is ther a happy medium between block and life, like about 50-100 in dex? Without a high block shield its not really worth it do to the high dex investment. But I have not tested this, so I don't really know; it could be a waste. But you would think 50% block is alot better than 0, balanced with enough life as well (Shako and BK ring and maybe the Marrowalk bug may help).

77 str req enigma
    50-100 dex
    the rest life
    0 to 50 nrgy

-Sash

9. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Not a terrible plan. It's like another 50% hitpoints against physical attackers.

If you have Enigma, I still don't think you need max block though. I just like having block for when I occasionally outrun my minions and run smack into a pack of champion/unique archers.

Awesome nick BTW. I was thinking of naming a character that ingame.

10. cracked sash

cracked sash IncGamers Member

Can you block the Burning Soul's lightning attack?

-Sash

11. Wrathchild

Wrathchild IncGamers Member

no you cant.

I'd say go for max vita, since you'll never get hit by physical attackers with all the skeles around you.

12. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

I agree for PvM I regret getting block, alot. Only trouble is elemental attacks, and block wont really help there.

13. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

My necromancer is actually going for max block, but the reason for this is that the higher dexterity allows me to use poison dagger effectively on bosses (I'm using Blackbog's Sharp). Unfortunately I'm going to be in big trouble once I hit Act 5 with the nasty ranged critters...

14. HCTwinJava

NO, you will have troubles, but not more than other necros have.

YES, if you are in poor gear and still want to take on Torlic or Lister in Hell within melee range 1. They are able to kill your necro (even if uber equipped) faster than any1 can think, if your necro has only 2-3% blocking (blocking% with a shield/head cannot drop to zero).

15. Wrathchild

dercep + clay golem and ancients are statues again :D what i mean is, they'll just muck in one spot, slowed down to like 15%

16. HCTwinJava

the fact is, slowed ancients are still ancients: they are still able to kill your necro if your necro dare attack them in melee range 1 solo with no blocking. Lister is rarely a very fast moving monster, but he and his company have killed numerous in SC. Actually, if hell ancients spawn with "bad" mods, they kill you without bothering to attack you. All HC chars with *hard-earned* Guardianship titles can tell a couple of scary stories about hell act4/5.

I'm talking about hell diff only. my pt is: blocking can actually help you out, while all vita may or may not be enough to save you a quick death. blocking or not is down to just a preference in pvm.

17. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

My block rate is actually 45% with a 43% block necro shield, it doesn't seem like much but hearing the block sound while being surrounded by Urdars has actually saved my bacon. Also I can stab Mephisto in hell with a 70% chance which is actually fairly respectable for a non-melee character:lol:

18. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Heh, I take it summon/bone necros doesn't count as hard-earned. :clap:

19. Wrathchild

when they are so much slowed, they'll get into a hit recovery lock. I.e do the hit rec animation before they're able to do anything. If they were able to move, they still wont get near you

20. HCTwinJava

1) they don't do hit recovery just because your decrypify + your CG have slowed them down. Your dagger-using necro must hit them, must hit them so hard so as to get rid of their 1/12 of hit points in 1 melee strike in oder to force them into a hit recovery. They have ~64 K hit points in Hell, by the way. If there is at least 1 extra player in your game, their HPs will be multiplied. Even if hit recovery does occur (which is very rare), they are barbarians, born to have better FHR than necros.

2) if they can't get near you, how can you use your dagger in melee range 1? Note: my comments initially were made on the following post by Harleyquin:

"My necromancer is actually going for max block, but the reason for this is that the higher dexterity allows me to use poison dagger effectively on bosses (I'm using Blackbog's Sharp). Unfortunately I'm going to be in big trouble once I hit Act 5 with the nasty ranged critters..."

I didn't think high blocking would be a reason for him to worry about anything.

3) Korlic ended a lvl ~85 HCL Javazon within 1 sec after we activated 3 ancients. -- This is a true story: I saw the zon getting killed next to my char, the red body dropped, the message popped up, and some 6 TP opened immediately... Given equivalent gear, if a Javazon couldn't survive, then a necro in melee range would have been even deader.

4) I'd be very interested in knowing how a daggermancer with a clay golem (and a useless merc maybe) + decrypify could solo Hell ancients without dying a lot. Revives won't help if the battle lasts 3+ minutes.