Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Max block for summoner?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Nimdix, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Nimdix

Nimdix IncGamers Member

Max block for summoner?

Hi!
    Im doing my first real necro and this is how he looks right now:

20 Raise skel
    20 Skel mage
    1 skel mage
    1 summon res
    1 in all prereqs to those above

1 amp dmg
    1 decrepify
    1 in prereqs to decrepify

next on im probably going to go for a rather high CE probably even up to 20 on that one... my might merc is going to be the one to give me the first corpse..

now i have two dilemmas i'd like to work out.
    first of all, Max block or a whole lot of life?
    and second, is attract any good to have to aid the merc with the first few corpses?

Hope you guys can help me!
    Nimdix

2. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

CE can be good at high level you get less area back. you can do 1-20 on CE and rest in to lower resist and amp for area. after summoning part you can max one other skill like CE and 15 in to lower resist and 15 amp as thay only skill that help CE,(decrepify help a bit) this will make for a fun pvm caracter

oh yeah max block on all builds IMO is always good

3. LyrinJytus

LyrinJytus IncGamers Member

My first summoner I built only had around 50% block and playing untwinked that meant I died alot from low hitpoints. My newer attempt I have focused on max block and it is noticably keeping me alive.

So it's a extra few hits worth of hitpoints or a extra 25% block. I took the block this time and don't regret it at all. Really just personal choice and playing style though depending on how much you get hit.

Ps edit, Attract is a great skill to put a point in. Depending on how much you like it and use it you could possible add more to it for duration as well. It isn't one of my most used skills but it for sure has it's place in my lineup.

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Max Block can help against the spear cats and other missile troops that shoot over or through your skellies. Make sure you use a shield with a good blocking chance or it will cost a lot of Dex. Necro heads with good blocking and other good mods for a summoner are very hard to find. Only the Homunculus is really good at both jobs. So unless you have a Homunculus, you should probably either use normal shield with a good blocking chance and go for the blocking (and lose out on +skills) or not bother with blocking and choose the best Necro head you have (there can be some nice rare and magical ones with +2 all skills and other individual skills and resists) and put the stat points into vitality.

One solution to the dilemma might be to have a summoning set up on your weapon switch with nice + skills, and a good blocking shield + wand for play. This works because you don't have to summon often in battle and + skills are less uselful although curses do benefit. The set shield Whitstan's Guard has low strength requirements and is great at blocking but has poor resists (needs a PD perhaps) and the unique Moser Blessed Circle is fair at blocking and has good resists and 2 free sockets. Alternatively a two socket Grim shield with the Rhyme runeword (shael + eth) makes a very nice blocking / resist shield. So you have several options for the Max blocking route.

5. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

On your second question about attract and getting the first corpses, I find that a golem is a useful way to help your merc even if it only distracts the monsters. You do need a golem for that and many other reasons ... he is the only minion you can summon at will and place anywhere.

Attract is a very useful curse and it will help get the first corpse but I find it useful in many other situations as it takes the heat off your skellies / merc. Another curse that helps your merc get the first corpse is Decrepify since that slows and weakens the group he's fighting as well as increasing his damage.

6. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Contrary to the other posters, I do not find Max block that helpful. In order to keep me alive I like to use DV.

Attract can be very helpful to aid in getting the first corpse. But you need to keep in mind that it draws in monsters from a few screens away.

7. Nimdix

Nimdix IncGamers Member

Ok, thx a lot all you who replied, it helped a lot so im going to do some changes the first thing when i come home... i'll probably be playing with max block toghethet with the rhyme runeword in a grim shield, and i'm definately leaning towards attract and CE...

thx again!
    Nimdix

8. weirdbeard

weirdbeard IncGamers Member

Also keep in mind that you've got terror also. with terror and dim vision, you can basically avoid getting hit, period. dunno if anyone remembers MongoJerry's Maldar the pacifist hero...
    dim vision will keep monsters from seeing you, but if they've already seen you, they'll keep chasing/attacking you untill you force them to make a decision, like going around an obstacle, etc. by DV'ing everything, then terroring anything that keeps attacking, you can force them to run away and allow you to safely DV them again.
    This requires some rather skillful cursing action, but if you can do it right, you could do it without dex or vita if you really had to.
    Then you could go for res/other bonuses on the shield over block.

i'd definitely look up the Maldar the pacifist hero articles, tho. nice strategy even if without spending the points to max dv

edit: also, easy way to get the first few corpses is to just start each game on the blood moor, kill some zombies/quill rat things, then wp back to wherever you're questing

9. Roach

Roach IncGamers Member

Agreed, max block on summoners is like maxing block on an NvN necro, your meat shield should provide more then enough cover.

Bone Armor should be more then enough for the occasional pop shot you might take from some random monster. No sense to load up on the dex when you can just recast your life.

I just recommend putting some more points into vita and call it a day.
    :clap:

10. BDs

BDs IncGamers Member

max block + 75 all res in hellm + 800HP bone armour + >11skellies + few revives + g00d merc = GODLIKE.

11. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

IMHO every pvm character should have max block with items like whitstan shield or shield with 30icb. now this has come to be my way of things after a lot of pvp and playing hc witch every stat that can increase the lifetime of your chatacer should be maxed. i can see not doing this is the pvp build is for just a caster type duel but some ppl use merc so you may yet need max block. if this is pvm build i would go with max block, you will love it when you are hit by some off the wall missile or something and you block it

12. Ensis

Ensis IncGamers Member

with the Homunculus, you need 153dex for 50%ctb at lvl 99 and 222dex for 75%ctb at lvl 99... a difference of 69 stat points.

These 69 stat points will give 138hp if placed in Vitality, or they will allow only 1 in 4 physical attacks to get through (75%ctb) rather than 1 in 2 attacks to get through (50%ctb) if placed in dexterity (effectively doubling your life against physical attacks). You should have around 800 (or more) hp at this point, so max blocking is MUCH better than a measly 138hp.

For those that argue you have meat shields and therefore don't need max block need to realize that you have meat shields and can equally afford to lose 100some hp.

My advice is Max Block, but its all personal preference.

13. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I like max block with my Summoner....and it does help alot since I do alot of solo hell baal runs. Nothing worse than death...and not leaving a tp behind to make getting your body back...that much easier.

HoSv1