Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mavs strafazon/cold

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by zquist, Mar 13, 2004.

1. zquist

zquist IncGamers Member

mavs strafazon/cold

Would mavs set be good for a strafe/cold azon? If so, what kind of gear should i look for for max breakpts? And what problems might arise? Also, what should i socket the helm/bow/armor with? Thanks in advance...

2. egervari

egervari IncGamers Member

mavs will give less damage than windforce while strafing, but usually more cold damage. Mav's damage is near where botd is, but obvious botd still kills faster when strafing. Despite this, mav's set is one of the best finished sets when comparing it to what the other characters get. I mean, if you aren't rich and cannot get everything unique or runeword on your zon, it's actually smarter to use mav set anyway. Anyway, the biggest problem with mavs is leech. You will need at least 1 very high dual leech ring with raven and preferably a rare +2 zon ammy with more leech on it. Otherwise, you won't be able to cast freezing arrow over and over.

3. zquist

zquist IncGamers Member

ok thanks i didnt even think about leech. What about attack speed, i know mavs is the fastest, but its damage is average. And ive read all types of bow comparisons, but i want the experts opinions. Do they prefer faster bows or higher damage bows. Also, the sockets....

4. Hashmalum

Hashmalum IncGamers Member

My hcl mav set zon owns, the only bad thing is leech. Not easy to get enough. And I use GA instead of strafe.

5. Unicorn Marketeer

Unicorn Marketeer IncGamers Member

I'm not an expert, but I've been playing a Mavinazon for a lot of the ladder season (USWest).

You've probably realized that the damage from your Freezing Arrow's cold effect is *far, Far, FAR* higher than the damage from even a high-end non-Runeword bow.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the low damage on M'avina's Caster--so long as you have enough Mana Leech to pump out Freezing Arrows regularly, the IAS on the bow along with the +skills and +resists on the set should carry you comfortably through most of Hell.

I'll point out one thing where I'm slightly different from the rest of the Freezing Arrow/Strafe 'zon players though--I don't think you need enough Mana Leech to pump out Freezing Arrow nonstop. I find you need enough Mana Pool and Mana Leech to reduce even big packs to little ones, then you can use Strafe to mop up the rest and refill your Mana before moving on.

Socket wise, it depends a bit on what you are building the 'zon for. I believe if you Shael the bow, you hit an important speed breakpoint (someone with more detailed knowledge will be needed to confirm this).

In the Helmet and Armor, I stuck in Ptopaz'es because I like all my characters to have a minimum between 100-200 MF, since I do a lot of questing and rushing with friends where I'm the "lead" character, getting most of the kills. You'll probably want to customize your sockets based on your needs and playstyle.

One nice thing about the set, though, is that with all it's bonuses you get +100% Resist All, so even in Hell, assuming you've saved Anya three times, you're starting at a base 30% Res All. Quite nice, really.